Can we talk about how much we hate Dark Dawn's ending?

Psych

And here I thought it was clear that Dark Dawn was just the beginning of the true story... *shrug*

Then again, I've yet to see it personally, so yeah...

Sveta: Matthew, I need your help to kill myself.

Mat: GL on that.

*Sveta kidnaps your spirit*

At least Nowell will be playable in the next game, that's basically a guarantee.

I don't dislike the game, it was pretty fun.

I hated how right when it seemed like you might be continuing, you stop.

And the dozens of points of no returns making you miss a bunch of summons and Djinns.

I don't dislike the game, it was pretty fun.

I hated how right when it seemed like you might be continuing, you stop.

And the dozens of points of no returns making you miss a bunch of summons and Djinns.

I never did finish all the sidequests, and I missed some of the djinn. Dissapointing. Real life is like that, I don't see why a video game should have so many points of no return t hough. Sheer frusturation :(

When I meant I don't blame you for disliking it I specifically meant the end, not the game as a whole.

They only warn you about the Cloud passage journey and maybe the boat, but the only thing that you can miss there is a single Venus Djinn.

I kinda see the PONR as kinda fun, so that there's sort of like an individual area. The first time I played mainly blind I missed the Zagan summon, the Brick Djinn, and practically half the Djinn and summons from the Mogal area.

It was still fun. I like the puzzle system all the GS games have more than the combat.

I wasn't a big fan of GS DD puzzles for the most part IIRC...

Agreed.

Most of them were way too straightforward IMO. Like the Ouroboros.

"Careful, it's a twisted maze!"

*goes in and find there's one pathway through it*

Do you know how to open the gate in the Ouroboros that goes into Kaocho palace? I swear you can get in there.

The Insight glass did make things a bit easy. Though the only puzzle that actually took me more than 10 minutes was the Ram pushing statue in the Zodiac thing. I solved it without the glass though eventually.

The ending? Well, I for once was very surprised how well the people of Belinsk too the whole mess which got thousands of people killed. And all thanks to the party who was stupid enough to leave the Magma Orb in the hands of Han-Jerkass-Something even though inside of the Mountain Roc he already demonstrated how far he would go to rescue his sister/girlfriend whatever. It was almost painful to see how grateful all the people were.

As for anything wrong else wrong with this game:

-Unskippable 10-minute length intro. And it's all just flying text. GS2 had one of these two. However you could simply skip it. Why not here? What's there excuse?

-Forced Tutorials:

Isaac: Great, Matty. You figured out how to pass this trend by using your Psynergy on the stone pillar. Well, then let me explain now how to pass this trend by using your Psynergy on the stone pillar.

Matthew: "?"

So there are 2 versions of this scene: One where you go away of the stone pillar and Isaac and Garet force you through a tutorial and a second one where I use move one the pillar, proving that I already know how to use Psynergy yet I'm still forced through a tutorial. Why even bother of having 2 versions of this scene then? Just have one and have it triggered when you approach the trend. Otherwise akknowledge that I already know how to use Psynergy and let me proceed.

Isaac: Ok, Flint will explain you how to use Djinn. Or do you already know how to use Djinn?

Matthew: "Yes!"

Karis: For gods sake, yes!

Isaac: Nice. However when we begann our journey, Flint also forced us through a tutorial and I'm to much of a jerk to spare my kids from anything I went through myself so...

-Isaac's parenting:

Isaac: Ok, as a punishment for breaking the Soarwing, you will travel to the other side of the continent and get a feather of the Mountain Rock. Be careful, because I think there are a few wars going on. Any questions?

Tyrell: Why is he called "Mountain Rock"?

Isaac: I didn't want to spoil that yet, but it's because he is the size of the mountain.

Karis/Tyrell: ARE YOU CRAZY?!?

Isaac: Relax. He's not really the size of a mountain. It's just that if you stand in front of a mountain and in front of the Rock you won't see much of a difference.

Karis: Matthew. If our friendship means anything to you, please kill me now!

Isaac: Hey, no suicides Karis. I don't want to have to tell Ivan that his Soarwing AND his daughter are broken. Of course once you leave this place, this is no longer my problem.

Garet: Still, I think it might be best to have one of us veterans accompany them. Just in case...

Isaac: Allright, Allright... I will ask Kraden to accompany you.

Matthew: :(

-The whole game is just a glorified side quest. You won't even deliver the feather to Isaac. The sooner you accept the fact that you won't see the Sol Sanctum, the better.

-The training grounds will save your highscores. But it's before a point of no return so why did they even bother?

-Why does the music always restart after fighting a random encounter? That way you can always only here the beginning of the games awesome tracks. Unless of course you just stand around like an idiot.

-All the Djinns you can miss because of those points of no return. Isn't it lovely when you reach one of those points and you are not sure if you got everything and you don't have internet access avaible because you made use of the "portable" aspect of your portable console? So you either risk loosing important stuff or you can't play at all.

-Leather boots can't be bought later in the game even though they are the best footwear that most of your team will have access too. And they are not even artifacts, so you can't buy those back, which you sold because of some fancy artifacts boots.

-Apparently you can completely isolate a third of Angara just by blowing up a single pathway. I wonder why that cave wasn't better protected if it is that important.

-The Oroboros. A mysterious labyrinth. No one who was send down there, ever returned. Not sure why, considering there are only few average monsters. The darn thing doesn't even have a boss. What a letdown.

-Why was Kaochos leader leaving his city with the card ninjas? (Was mentioned by a few NPCs) He never appeared again, after all.

-Am I the only one who spend hours trying to find out how to give the Hermes Water to the sick tree in Kolima? Instead you have to talk to some random NPC to progress.

-Why was Sveeta tricking the party into helping here instead of simply asking? And why does the game act as if Matthew was mad at here brother when I have him react angry to that revelation?

-Why are those card ninjas such pushovers? Even there one-shot items hardly deal any damage.

-What was it, that Volocheck hoped to accomplish by sending his sister to the opera? And why did he escape that place before her arrival?

-So after the battle at the opera, the party apparently spend at least hours to burry the girl and her grandfather, tombstones incuded? Really? While everyone in the city was fighting for their lives? Briggs even died while they were wasting time digging holes.

-So somebody upgraded Brigg's ship while nobody were looking into the opposite directions? Is that all you guys can tell me?

-Why does the ship now have wings?

-Gotta love how Volocheck relies on Sveeta to undo his deeds while comiting suicide. What a pansy.

-Why are there no bosses in the whole last third of the game? You would think those shadow monsters would provide at last a few of them but nope.

-What's the point in burning down Champa? Don't they want to return their later? If it'S because of the old Lady, then why didn't the party at least try to convince her to leave?

-Where is Briggs wife?

-Am I the only one who thinks that activating those artifacts in southern Argana should have happened after activating the Great Eclipse? It would be a great excuse to actively fight against the monsters and to protect the people. Instead they are just random encounters. Lame.

-Why did Susa's son depart because they sensed Isaac was in danger? I thought Takeru would depart to save Felix' descendants. (Based on some mindreadings in Izumo in Lost Age) They shouldn't even know who Isaac is, let alone care.

-Why can everyone move arround the bright light even though only Sveeta wears armor? And why are those dangerous areas ignored in cutscenes? Maybe the Tuparang are just dark enough on their own, but what is Alex's excuse?

-So it turns out that The Card Ninjas were holding back to hide their psynergy. Then why didn't they use it in the final battle?

-After the fight Matthew has to play Homer Simpson for a while. It's not like they shouldn't know already how deadly the light is and yet you have to try to climb up three times. That's Bleach level of stupidity.

-When excactly did Sveeta loose all her strength? And why is she asking of all people the guy who fell on his head 3 times in a row, to help her?

-The Psynergy Vortext at the end apparently just exists to remind you what a good plot you missed. And all just because Tyrell broke the Soarwing at the very beginning... "sigh".

That being said, they really did a good job at bringing the Golden Sun gameplay to the DS. I really like the engine. Besides that however, the game makes me facepalm far too often for me to like it. A few of the things that bug me might be explained in a sequel but other things like the opera scene, will never be anything but idiotic.

Edited by BrightBow

A few of those points:

You can get the Crystallux summon in the Opera House. I thought that was sorta they're way of telling you to go there.

I was also curious about Briggs' wife. But they have to burn all the houses to keep Champa safe from monsters, since the light keeps them away and they don't have the gates like Aryuthay or Passaj do.

If you go back through the Training Grounds once you beat it then you get to do it again with a shorter time limit and an extra boss at the end.

Also, I think they're planning on using Takeru as like the second Earth Adept for the next game. They have Nowell as Mercury, and people kept saying the Jupiter Baby you can find in that one town in TLA was going to be important, so they just need a Mars.

I wouldn't complain if it was Eoleo again

So I'm guessing they're bringing back Matthew, Tyrell, and Karis? Not so sure about Rief.

I'd say they have the 8, and then another 8?

Maybe increase the number of maximum people in battle at once to 8. That'd be super cool.

Plus I'm betting we'll get to see what the other 6 look like now that they're old. I was kinda disappointed, cause they're really mentioned, except Sheba and she was one of my favorites. She was the only one not really mentioned at all.

Wow, thank you for actually reading my post. Even ignoring the length of my whiny bitching I assumed that nobody would force himself past the third line if just because of my bad English.

You can get the Crystallux summon in the Opera House. I thought that was sorta they're way of telling you to go there.

Of course it is. But the game still needs to be consistent with it's internal logic. And Kraden said that Svetas brother probably send the vision on purpose so that they would go to the opera. But once your arrive there you only find monsters and dead soldiers and Volocheck is nowhere to be found. This only makes sense if we assume he ran away and left his soldiers and the civilians to their fate. Well, I guess I could pretend that Volocheck wanted them to obtain Crystallux power to save the world or something but that doesn't explain why he ran away when there were still people left to save. Especially after he called his sister you would think he would stay there just to make sure she will be save.

Anyway, the main problem of that scene is how it ends:

Matthew is at the graveyards and there are two new graves, presumably of the girl and her grandfather. So they somehow organized a funeral while the city was overrun by monsters instead of escaping?

I was also curious about Briggs' wife. But they have to burn all the houses to keep Champa safe from monsters, since the light keeps them away and they don't have the gates like Aryuthay or Passaj do.

That doesn't explain her absence. And if she was killed it should have been mentioned in the dialog seeing how Briggs mentioned her in his dying breath.

If you go back through the Training Grounds once you beat it then you get to do it again with a shorter time limit and an extra boss at the end.

I know that but what I meant is that the game also saves your best time even though you can't come back later trying to break it.

Also, I think they're planning on using Takeru as like the second Earth Adept for the next game. They have Nowell as Mercury, and people kept saying the Jupiter Baby you can find in that one town in TLA was going to be important, so they just need a Mars.

I would bet my life on that. After all the thoughts of Kushinada about their future child in TLA are way to precise to be anything but foreshadowing. I'm simply saying that they tell you that departed Takeru because of a vision showing Isaac to be in danger, even though he doesn't even know him. If it was any one from Felix' party I would let it slide but he has no reason to run of because of a vision about Isaac. Of course there might be more to that vision then we were told about (Like Isaac's life being linked to the fate of the world or something) but since I can only work with what the game tells us, it just looks awkward to me.