Kinbois Help

Alastor15243

I'm doing a no-save run of Fire emblem 4, because I don't like the rigid restrictions that a time attack poses on character choices, and I don't like making intentionally bad pairings, but I still want a challenge.

I've decided I won't boss grind, but I will be able to reinforcement grind. I get a crucial opportunity for this in chapter 1, but Kinbois has a nasty habit of parking his rear right in front of my castle and not moving, meaning I can't have my units hit and run from inside the castle without killing him with my castle guard. Worse STILL, he'll then engage my guard IN MELEE, with a HAND AXE, meaning he'll get himself killed even if I don't attack him!

Is there any workaround to this? Any method to ensure he won't do this, so I can get some decent experience for my characters without boss grinding?

"no-save run"?

Well yeah I'm saving, but only to walk away from the game and come back later. I'm not allowed to revert to a previous save to undo the consequences of my actions. I can either keep going or start over from the beginning.

Other rules:

1: No boss grinding

2: Every village must be rescued

3: No using the Valkyrie staff

I'm doing this because I wanted a challenge, but I don't like the conventional methods (going for an A rank or using intentionally bad pairings), because they don't suit my playstyle, and don't let me use my favorite units.

Hopefully this should provide an equivalent challenge without forcing me to change my preferred playstyle for it.

Oh, and RK, about what HP is the cutoff for making him retreat? Also, does that work even when his current army is basically intact?

He'll also run if his army gets killed, although that's not an option for you.

Those restrictions seem pretty nasty. The Valkerie staff would have helped you a lot. Look down if you want an FE4 challenge (/shamelessselfadvertising).

Okay, yeah, I just tried it, and Kinbois is an absolute tard. He doesn't run away at low HP if his army isn't decimated. I got him down to 2 HP and he just suicided into Ardan even though there was an 100% mortality rate for that attack. I need a strategy to keep Kinbois away from my castle gate, because if he gets there, he's going to suicide into my castle guard without fail. Anybody know of an AI exploit I could take advantage of, or some way I can physically keep him away from the gate without any of my units coming under too heavy fire?

Edited by Alastor15243

Send someone weak out with a broken sword, or no weapon at all?

Surely you'll have more points to grind out experience than this one part with Kinbois. Just down the street where Jamuka emerges is one of these points. The next chapter, that Duke guy will retreat and reform. You have tons of these opportunities.

Thanks for the reply. A few things:

Send someone weak out with a broken sword, or no weapon at all?

That was my original plan, but the issue is that kinbois will plant himself permanently in front of the castle entrance, meaning that none of my other guys in the castle can attack until he's dead, which ends the reinforcement cycle.

Surely you'll have more points to grind out experience than this one part with Kinbois. Just down the street where Jamuka emerges is one of these points.

Yes, but this one happens at a point in the chapter when I don't have any castles I have to defend. I forgot to mention that I'm not allowed to let the enemy capture any castle (except when that's a storyline element, like in the prologue with jungby castle), and the home castle lets me do hit-and-runs with every unit and give them an 100% safe place to hide when their attack is done, even if they don't have a horse for re-moving. As for these other opportunities you name...

Just down the street where Jamuka emerges is one of these points.

Jamuka is... dangerous. There are too many potential negative outcomes. He could critical. He could get lucky with attack spamming. He could choose to attack somebody weak. It's just not practical in the slightest compared to Kinbois, and if I don't have a viable plan for Kinbois, I won't have a viable plan for Jamuka either.

The next chapter, that Duke guy will retreat and reform.

That would indeed be an excellent opportunity, but I need to take him out FAST in order for Levin to be able to stop the bandits from demolishing even one of those villages down there. There's simply no time to grind.

In any case, I've actually managed to work out a successful strategy, involving ardan, lex and cuan (chosen for their high defense bases/growths) standing in front of Evans in a triangle formation, keeping the entrance clear. it's been wildly successful so far!

But thanks for your help guys.

When I said Jamuka, I meant the castle where Gandolf is--when he and Deu and Edin come out, there's a brief group of lackeys who will come after them. Their leader will retreat for more troops if memory serves. That's a pretty safe spot.

The next best I remember would be in the next chapter once you take out the Sleep Staff guy, you have a bottleneck and a castle right there. It's pretty safe, so long as you keep Lachesis's suicide squad at bay.

When I said Jamuka, I meant the castle where Gandolf is--when he and Deu and Edin come out, there's a brief group of lackeys who will come after them. Their leader will retreat for more troops if memory serves. That's a pretty safe spot.

The next best I remember would be in the next chapter once you take out the Sleep Staff guy, you have a bottleneck and a castle right there. It's pretty safe, so long as you keep Lachesis's suicide squad at bay.

I believe you're correct about that guy going for reinforcements. However, as I said, I've already managed to create a grinding loop with acceptable levels of risk with Kinbois.

Thanks for the tip about the sleep staff guy bottleneck, I'll keep that in mind. Yeah, I keep lachesis's retarded paladins away by keeping Lachesis herself out of the way. I have her heal, use the return staff, and spend some quality time with her future husband for that whole chapter pretty much.

If you can reset to the beginning of the chapter (which I assume you can since you let Kinbois commit suicide), I suggest having your units waiting outside, north of your main castle. Once Kinbois surrounds your castle, just kill as much enemies as you can.

If you don't want to/can't reset now, then I don't see any way of abusing this army, and suggest that you give up on that one and try again against the armies Celice has mentionned.