(FE7) FE7 HNM Auction Draft

Whitefang

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, status staves aren't fun to deal with in Drafts.

I counted, in ch.29, almost 20 or more staff users, and of those 20 or more, there are 12 or less status staff users, those witches (female druids) and holy maidens stresses me a bit. I also took a 2-3 minute nap and when I regained consciousness, shamans, monks, mages and valks were moving forward. HHM EPs last an eternity...

I counted, in ch.29, almost 20 or more staff users, and of those 20 or more, there are 12 or less status staff users, those witches (female druids) and holy maidens stresses me a bit. I also took a 2-3 minute nap and when I regained consciousness, shamans, monks, mages and valks were moving forward. HHM EPs last an eternity...

Yikes. This is why I try to avoid HM drafts except in FE8 and FE9.

Yikes. This is why I try to avoid HM drafts except in FE8 and FE9.

I recommend you, first, to conquer HHM several times, maybe two or three. That was my first play through and some units sucked (Guy, Priscy and HECTOR). Obviously, this is if you want to draft in HM tourneys in a couple of weeks, months...err, time.

This looks fascinating! And a lot less tenuous and rage-inducing than a HHM run. I'm potentially game for this.

Why is 28x blocked? If someone wins both nino and jaffar, then they'd have a legitimate way to enter the chapter. And it's also the only way to get the Fell Contract before endgame, if they also have a thief on their team.

One more thing, does it how we go about playing? I'm planning on using an emulator as opposed to a cart. Mine is currently full with incomplete play-throughs that I'm not willing to erase.

This looks fascinating! And a lot less tenuous and rage-inducing than a HHM run. I'm potentially game for this.

Why is 28x blocked? If someone wins both nino and jaffar, then they'd have a legitimate way to enter the chapter. And it's also the only way to get the Fell Contract before endgame, if they also have a thief on their team.

One more thing, does it how we go about playing? I'm planning on using an emulator as opposed to a cart. Mine is currently full with incomplete play-throughs that I'm not willing to erase.

28x is banned because it makes it impossible to complete the chapter in a reasonable time frame unless you have a flier, which is dumb.

28x is banned because it makes it impossible to complete the chapter in a reasonable time frame unless you have a flier, which is dumb.

Usually it's allowed by having it free for something like 15-20 turns. Existence of Fell Contract and Speedwings makes it quite desirable.

Usually it's allowed by having it free for something like 15-20 turns. Existence of Fell Contract and Speedwings makes it quite desirable.

15 is the minimum without a flier for HHM I know, so that's probably not the count we should be using.

I'd like to have it available, however, in my last HHM I spent more than 25 Turns to seize, especially because the pattern in which paths appear/disappear is different in HHM. I think it's because of the Ballistae Sniper in the nearest isle of the beginning.

Edited by Quintessence

It is not difficult to unlock the chapter without Nino and/or Jaffar drafted, and going there is not necessary to recruit Jaffar. As has been said, it's banned due to the (even more of a) ridiculous advantage it gives those who drafted fliers, although I'm fine with making it free up to 20 turns.

Emulating is fine (I do it as well, since my cart likes erasing my data, and turbo is great), as long as you don't abuse save states/cheat codes/etc., but that should be obvious.

Edited by Radiant Kitty

But what if one of us sponges too much exp with Marcus early game (less turns but lower levels)and needs some exp? 28x is one of the better chapters for pure EXP and besides, it's my prerogative whether to risk it or not. And if I have several flyers on my team, why should I be denied the chapter because others can't complete it as quickly?

This is what I was considering but forgot to voice. If you feel uncomfortable leaving it to the contestants, then just assign a turn penalty (something reasonable between 5-10) and add half total turn count for that chapter to it. This way, I can't take a 20 turn penalty and then abuse the chapter for 40+ turns. It would be like using the arena without risking a restart OR counting the turns spent using the arena.

Also:

It doesn't matter to me whether its single auction or in batches, but I would think groups of 5 would greatly expedite the process.

I'm in favor of Marcus being free up to Ch. 20. Even in regular HM, Uhai can be a real pain in the ass thanks to those woods he's sitting on.

While the 100 credits will indeed help moderate team size, I think you might consider a min and max. That way I can't get twice as many units as the other teams just because I only bid higher on the low value units. Otherwise we may end up with a team that has 10 units and one that has 4. I would assume that anyone playing this would be more competent than to overpay on the 6 top units.

Lastly, I don't think you ever clarified whether Lyn mode is included or not. I'm judging not due to the fact that Lyn, Sain, Kent and Wil are free in Ch. 16, or else they'd be bulky enough to take some hits and survive, especially compared to HHM. This doesn't even begin to cover how much adding LM would complicate the drafting values.

Edited by Randombobman

Use the honor system and don't abuse save states.

28x...hmm...that's tricky. Jaffar survives much easier on normal mode, so that's not a concern. The biggest concern is that it's a lot of extra exp. It makes Nino a lot more viable, especially, since whoever drafts her can grind her there. (She really needs it, though).

I'm feeling generous, though, so let's give a 20 turn allowance to 28x and make it optional to visit. No abusing of Sonia or the generous reinforcements allowed.

NO LYN MODE. I feel like this is an understood rule unless otherwise mentioned. Is this an incorrect assumption?

Edited by Whitefang

But what if one of us sponges too much exp with Marcus early game (less turns but lower levels)and needs some exp?

Well, that's your own fault then.

And if I have several flyers on my team, why should I be denied the chapter because others can't complete it as quickly

That's like saying 'Why make Marcus free just to deny the person going first from automatically winning?'.

This is what I was considering but forgot to voice. If you feel uncomfortable leaving it to the contestants, then just assign a turn penalty (something reasonable between 5-10) and add half total turn count for that chapter to it. This way, I can't take a 20 turn penalty and then abuse the chapter for 40+ turns. It would be like using the arena without risking a restart OR counting the turns spent using the arena.

If you stay under 20 turns, you add nothing to your score. If you go over, you add the full amount. It doesn't punish those who can't get a flier, and lets those who do finish whenever they want (as long as it's in 20 turns).

It doesn't matter to me whether its single auction or in batches, but I would think groups of 5 would greatly expedite the process.

Auctioning multiple units at once will only complicate the process, and make it more difficult for everyone to get the exact units they want.

I'm in favor of Marcus being free up to Ch. 20. Even in regular HM, Uhai can be a real pain in the ass thanks to those woods he's sitting on.

I still insist that having Marcus free that long greatly devalues the earlier joining units. Having him free solely for Uhai is not worth that.

While the 100 credits will indeed help moderate team size, I think you might consider a min and max. That way I can't get twice as many units as the other teams just because I only bid higher on the low value units. Otherwise we may end up with a team that has 10 units and one that has 4. I would assume that anyone playing this would be more competent than to overpay on the 6 top units.

I highly doubt we'll have any problems like that. Besides, making the people who get the best units in the game (Pent, fliers, paladins, etc.) receive less total units than other participants is a great balancing tool.

Lastly, I don't think you ever clarified whether Lyn mode is included or not. I'm judging not due to the fact that Lyn, Sain, Kent and Wil are free in Ch. 16, or else they'd be bulky enough to take some hits and survive, especially compared to HHM. This doesn't even begin to cover how much adding LM would complicate the drafting values.

Lyn Mode is not included. Lyn's Legion is free in Ch. 16 because meatshielding is not allowed and there's no use forcing people to take penalties for not drafting one of them (4 of them, 5 people, Wil and probably Lyn can't hold their own anyway).

Ok well sign me up then.

I do work long hours so I'll probably be last to finish. Using an emulator will help save me time though so maybe I won't lag too far behind.

And I think it's prudent that you set minimum and maximum team sizes.

Oh one thing I forgot! Are we penalized for letting characters die? Don't recall seeing this in the original rules.

Edited by Randombobman

I do work long hours so I'll probably be last to finish. Using an emulator will help save me time though so maybe I won't lag too far behind.

I probably won't be starting this for a long time either, due to having 3 RD drafts and a PoR draft to play through as well (admittedly, one of the RD drafts is almost finished, but still).

But what if one of us sponges too much exp with Marcus early game (less turns but lower levels)and needs some exp?

Whoopeydo. That's your own fault.

And if I have several flyers on my team, why should I be denied the chapter because others can't complete it as quickly?

It's like normal where fliers simply let you skip enemies. Fliers let you skip the map set up. It's the only map that is unbeatable at status quo at certain points. That's why it's banned. Not because fliers are good.

No penalties for letting characters die. I will not be setting team sizes. This is why I set it up to be a second-bid sealed-auction. If you think, "Oh, I'll just bid a lot and win and not pay much and get a lot of characters," you have to consider the very real possibility that someone else thinks like that as well, or has overvalued a mediocre unit, and you end up screwed. I will emphasize again that the optimum strategy is to bid what you value the unit at.

I've also decided to make Marcus free up to Chapter 16. Chapter 17 is the first place where you can have one of Lowen, Kent, or Sain, and they can make a big impact there.

Edited by Whitefang

I have decided in favor of auctioning 1 unit at a time, since most people are ok with that.

You all have 100 points to spend, and I will post the order that units will be auctioned in. This has been randomized.

Currently up for bids: Farina

Please send me a PM with your bid. Once all bids are collected, I will reply back letting you know whether or not you won. If you wish, you may bid in advance as long as your sum of bids never goes over your current points total. I have a spreadsheet to keep track of bids and winners.

On deck: Priscilla

Then:

Lucius

Dart

Erk

Fiora

Wil

Harken

Sain

Raven

Rath

Jaffar

Rebecca

Florina

Bartre/Karla

Dorcas

Lowen

Louise

Serra

Vaida

Canas

Matthew

Ninian/Nils

Lyn

Kent

Eliwood

Isadora

Wallace

Guy

Heath

Karel

Oswin

Hawkeye

Legault

Renault

Nino

Pent

Geitz

Edited by Whitefang

Signup is full! Thanks to all who are participating, and good luck!

Oh, I've also decided that if you are the only player to make a bid, you pay your own bid, so be careful towards the end! If no one bids on a unit, no one gets the unit. I just wanted to clarify this since it is not in the OP.

Edited by Whitefang

One of our group hasn't logged in since the bidding started, and I've suggested that he bid on several units. I've been trying to push things along quickly. I will do my best to keep things moving along, though I'm sorry for the wait.