Right, I think I'm gonna do a Gaiden Chapter run (Normal Mode)

I've done two "standard" playthroughs of this game now, I'm gonna do a Gaiden run this time.

I just need some advices, would anyone care to suggest which units I should use, how many I should use, their classes (before and after promotion, if applicable) and how I should kill off the ones I don't want?

So far I've got the following:

1) Marth (duh)

1) Abel - Cavalier -> Paladin/Dracoknight (Don't know which one would be better) DK when Bows are no problem, Paladin when they are.

3) Hardin - Cavalier -> Dracoknight/Paladin (Same as Abel)

4) Sedgar - General? (worked so far, but I dunno if there could be something better) Hero

5) Wolf - General? Hero (same as Sedgar)

6) Barst - Fighter -> Berserker/Hero (Still up in the air)

7) Merric - Curate/Mage -> Sage

8) Lena - Mage/Cleric -> Sage

9) Ogma - Merc -> Hero

10) Sheeda - Pegasus Knight -> Dracoknight

11) Nabarl - Myrmidon -> Swordmaster

12) Cord - Hunter -> Warrior

13) Athena - Myrmidon -> Swordmaster

14) Julian

And I'm considering:

15) Horace - ???

Edited by CrashGordon94

Sedgar and Wolf both make better Heroes than Generals in Normal mode.

For Abel and Hardain, Dracoknight is almost always better due to the +1 Str +2 Def, but if you're in a map where bows are an issue, obviously go Paladin. Barst should go Fighter --> Hero, He's not going to hit the strength cap anyway, and Hero offers C Swords and more Speed/Skill.

Merric and Lena can go whatever. I prefer keeping Merric as a Mage because of Excalibur.

Ogma obviously does fine in his starting class.

Mage Lena has a higher magic growth rate, plus she gets to work on her tome rank earlier. Do this in chapters where you don't need a healer. Her real crutch his her speed, though, so you might want to give her some time as an archer as well.

Mage Lena has a higher magic growth rate, plus she gets to work on her tome rank earlier. Do this in chapters where you don't need a healer. Her real crutch his her speed, though, so you might want to give her some time as an archer as well.

She has enough speed on base to avoid doubles in Normal mode, and going Archer will make it tough for her to get kills.

Sedgar as a general is complete waste in NM. Go Hero.

Sedgar and Wolf both make better Heroes than Generals in Normal mode.

Okay, they'll be Heroes.

For Abel and Hardain, Dracoknight is almost always better due to the +1 Str +2 Def, but if you're in a map where bows are an issue, obviously go Paladin. Barst should go Fighter --> Hero, He's not going to hit the strength cap anyway, and Hero offers C Swords and more Speed/Skill.

For Abel and Hardin: Okay, DK when Bows aren't an issue and Pally when they are.

For Barst: Really? He's always been good as a Berserker for me, but if he's a better Hero then I'll yield to that.

Merric and Lena can go whatever. I prefer keeping Merric as a Mage because of Excalibur.

Mage!Merric then? Okay.

Okay, sure Mage!Lena then. (It was basically a toss-up between Healer and Mage for those two, not gonna let them touch physical classes)

Actually, that brings me to another point: Which of them should be which? I always like having a healer but while Lena starts out as one and has teh early Warp, Merric seems to get enhanced stats as a Curate.

Also, a few other things, what about Hunter ->Warrior!Cord, Nabarl, Athena, Julian and one of the Peg Knights? I still don't really know how many people I should take or how I kill the others off.

Berserker works well enough for NM, and if he has enough speed to double most stuff, just leave him as a Zerker. I find Hero is useful, because Berserkers miss doubles on lategame dracoknights, and all Heroes.

Still considering Hero, but might just go with Berserker since I have 3 Heroes already and you're saying Zerker's alright.

As for killing off units, how about arena-ing auto-recruits to death and killing recruitable enemies?

It's cheaper (and faster) if you feed your unarmed baits to various reinforcements (Chapters 5, 6, and 10 are great places to kill stuff off).

Thanks, I think I'll do that.

Cain - Cavalier -> Draco.

Actually, I used both him and Frey in my past two PTs but I think I'm gonna leave 'em out to make room for Cord/Nabarl/Athena/Julian/$PEGKNIGHT (seriously, how many people am I supposed to use?! The whole 15 I'm allowed?)

Thanks, I think I'll do that.

Actually, I used both him and Frey in my past two PTs but I think I'm gonna leave 'em out to make room for Cord/Nabarl/Athena/Julian/$PEGKNIGHT (seriously, how many people am I supposed to use?! The whole 15 I'm allowed?)

Sure, the whole 15 is fun. But you should use all the gaiden characters. So really only 11.

Sure, the whole 15 is fun. But you should use all the gaiden characters. So really only 11.

Well, actually, I'm not so sure about them, the ones other than Athena sound kinda poor.

I usually stick to about 6 units that I focus on (usually high mov) and another 2-4 that I use, but generally just to clear out stragglers so the high mov units can keep going.

Sounds like a good strategy, I might try that at a later date.

Horace has terrible growths but his bases are amazing. Etzel is decent. Ymir isn't bad.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I heard.

If you have room, I recommend Peg->DK Shiida and Cav->Paladin/DK Cain/Frey/Nabarl. Just to round out your existing party.

Okay, gonna add Sheeda, and I will be using Nabarl but he'll be going Myrm -> SM.

Right, almost ready to start, just wondering about Athena, Julian and Cord.

Cord's alright, Athena's alright, Julian's a thief with E Swords who isn't Rickard. You take what you get. More importantly, Athena actually possesses a personality, where Cord will have to wait until FE12's supports are localised.

Of the gaiden characters:

Athena - can fly

Horace - Turn him into something other than a General, and his bases are so godly that any stat growth is gravy

Etzel - I like making joke classes for him. . .but he does just fine as a magic-slingin' whatever. If you want true LULZ, go Hero, and get his swords up to C

Ymir - Can also go Hero, and will have the requisite axe rank to be useful

Edifying. I might actually use Horace, not too sure but it won't take much to use him if I do.

Edit: Also, the reason I'm thinking of using Julian is because I heard he's awesome when trained.

Edit 2: Well, my team's mostly finalised so the only uncertainty left is Horace, whether I'll use him at all and what to make him if I do.

Edited by CrashGordon94

He makes a good Hero or Berserker. If you have an extra arms scroll, make him a hero, and bump up his axe rank to D. He ORKO's all the unpromoted enemies in midgame with steel. His durability is pretty suspect though.

He makes a good Hero or Berserker. If you have an extra arms scroll, make him a hero, and bump up his axe rank to D. He ORKO's all the unpromoted enemies in midgame with steel. His durability is pretty suspect though.

Wow!

Can he do that as a Zerker too, or just Hero?

Zerker he lacks the speed, but if you don't want to waste an Arms Scroll on him, 14 Str is pretty good, and the crit bonus is usually better than bows. If you want to use the scroll, just make him a Hero.

Zerker he lacks the speed, but if you don't want to waste an Arms Scroll on him, 14 Str is pretty good, and the crit bonus is usually better than bows. If you want to use the scroll, just make him a Hero.

Ah, right. I'll keep that in mind then.