Uh, random earthquake?

Chocolate Kitty

Define random. They are caused by rocks moving. Why do the rocks move? Something about changes in pressure and some shit as stuff at the bottom rises to the top.

Well they are random in the sense that you cannot predict them. Why? IIRC, the rocks create fiction against eachother and cause them to create pressure. This pressure could be released after a short while and therefore the earthquake isn't too powerful, or it could take years before its actually released. If its the latter, the earthquake is likely to be very high in the ricther scale. So yes every earthquake is random because you never know when the pressure is going to be released.

Edited by SlayerX

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well they are random in the sense that you cannot predict them. Why? IIRC, the rocks create fiction against eachother and cause them to create pressure. This pressure could be released after a short while and therefore the earthquake isn't too powerful, or it could take years before its actually released. If its the latter, the earthquake is likely to be very high in the ricther scale. So yes every earthquake is random because you never know when the pressure is going to be released.

In that case, whether I finish 10 pages of reading tomorrow is also random, as hurricane Irene might zoom in early as a result of high winds, cut off power, and leave me too dark to do a reading without doing flashlight reading, which I hate doing (not that I am actually reading books at this point, schmucks). I understand the point you were trying to get across by trying to say that earthquakes are random, but we are probably living in a universe that is simultaneously random and determined.

No no, heard everything in the sense that it got a lot of news coverage.

It was a joke. I'd hoped my overoptimism would have come across as sarcasm, but alas, it didn't.