Fire Emblem settings that you would like to see for future installments

IGdood

Most of the Fire Emblems to date have been set in a "Medieval European Fantasy" world, with a few hints of Asian influence (e.g. Nomads in Elibe). You could have a "Medieval Asian Fantasy" world with elements from 5th-to 15th-century China, Mongolia, Japan, and any other Asian countries.

If the Japanese didn't have much or any cavalry in what we call the Middle Ages... well, what did the Chinese and/or the Mongolians have?

No, there's a generic name for "a person who uses bows" that I'm thinking of. I can't remember what it is, though. Yumitai Ashigaru is rather specific.

I believe the generic term for bowmen would be -射手 (syasyu).

I suppose the idea of an Asian/Shogun era theme would be pretty cool. 

Most of the Fire Emblems to date have been set in a "Medieval European Fantasy" world, with a few hints of Asian influence (e.g. Nomads in Elibe). You could have a "Medieval Asian Fantasy" world with elements from 5th-to 15th-century China, Mongolia, Japan, and any other Asian countries.

If the Japanese didn't have much or any cavalry in what we call the Middle Ages... well, what did the Chinese and/or the Mongolians have?

Yeah, I was hoping I'd see that setting being used one of these days....

From what I can gather of Chinese history, China had a huge amount of cavalry in their armies, almost equal to their number of infantry. There really wasn't a concept of "knights" where only the privileged/nobility got to use a mount (although chariots were most certainly limited to the aristocracy only). It was more of a professional cavalry force formed by enlisted Chinese although horse archers would come from nomadic tribes. I'm not sure if this would mean they had inferior cavalry to the more "elite" cavalry forces, but most certainly many of them were light-medium cavalry as opposed to heavy bruisers.

As for the Mongols, their armies are almost pure-cavalry, and mostly horse archers aka nomadic troopers although their elites wielded heavy lances. Sometimes they'd enlist infantry from neighboring nations. Other times they had prisoners and local civilians act as their meatshields when it came to situations where cavalry were not effective.

I believe the generic term for bowmen would be -射手 (syasyu).

I suppose the idea of an Asian/Shogun era theme would be pretty cool. 

Cool. :D

Edited by skitarii

Not really, more like cyperpunkish "magic" sword

"Press Z to do more damage" to emulate Squall and Seifer in FF8 would be awesome, though! Adding like 20% more damage per well-timed hit is pretty cool.

Which are based in turn on medieval Europe.

The clothes, the mannerisms, the cultures, the accents, the dialogues, the geographies, the tropes--none of it really matches with Medieval Europe.

In fact, most of the designs for the JRPG fantasy zone stem from several centuries later, beyond the Medieval period of Europe.

Samurai could fight mounted.

I'd hate an Asian-themed Fire Emblem. Keep it pseudo-European. Though some more arabian influences could be nice. ^_^

Edited by Swordsalmon

You're all whining about how having more advanced weapons would have to make things long range, but I think we're all forgetting that range can be relative. One tile in FE doesn't have to be 5 meters - for all we know, one tile could be 100 meters, or 500. I don't think range is an issue so long as it's all kept relative i.e. a sniper rifle still has more range than a handgun. Handguns could the be "close combat" weapons - let's not forget the whole 'relative-range' thing and say that "close combat" doesn't have to be melee.

The clothes, the mannerisms, the cultures, the accents, the dialogues, the geographies, the tropes--none of it really matches with Medieval Europe.

In fact, most of the designs for the JRPG fantasy zone stem from several centuries later, beyond the Medieval period of Europe.

They may not have done a particularly good job, but to a lot of people it would certainly seem Medieval enough. FE certainly is its own world, but of all the time periods it could be mimicking, Medieval seems to be what it is going for. I don't know how many people understand the differences between the sixteenth century and the eleventh century. By the way, what centuries are you counting as Medieval?

The general span is about the 5th~15th century. Its lasting began to shift after the Great Mortality passed through (around the 12th, I think it was), as the large influences of the times died with much of the populace, including reasons to believe and support them.

Most gamers mix them up because they have a wonky vision of what medieval times were like, mostly by going on the belief that their videogames were accurate depictions and drew inspirations from it. That's the issue though--how the videogames and animes and everything else did their fantasy is not representative of medieval life and ethos. The world of Fire Emblem is far more complex and modern than the proper Medieval timespan. European history, of course.

It's roughly more kin to the later 16th and 17th centuries. But, you're trying to allocate a fiction within a real span of time and influence, and that's not really profitable, considering fiction takes liberties. Splicing the interesting elements is what creates the JRPG class of fantasy that Fire Emblem, and many of games, took piece of.

Though some more arabian influences could be nice. ^_^

I so wished Isaac was more stylized after that area than it was originally... :( It could have been really cool.

Edited by Celice

It depends on which Fire Emblem. Elibe and Magvel are kind of wonky because you have Hector and Ephraim talking about their school lessons, but I guess even back in medieval times noble children were expected to have some sort of education. Tellius has standing armies, which aren't really medieval at all. I guess Crimea and Begnion aren't that far off, since each lord seems to have his own lands and army (albeit there's also a central army).

But, you're trying to allocate a fiction within a real span of time and influence, and that's not really profitable, considering fiction takes liberties.

It is here, given this topic. Also, do you really consider the 400's Medieval? The Western Roman Empire fell in 476. I believe the class I took on Medieval history last year started in 768 with Charlemagne. If I'm remembering correctly.

On the topic of this discussion, though, I think it would be interesting to see a FE in a more accurate Medieval European setting.

On the topic of this discussion, though, I think it would be interesting to see a FE in a more accurate Medieval European setting.

You mean use terms like "milord", get to kick peasants around, visit monks copying books in a monastery, go on crusades, etc? Hahahaha.

More like work in impoverished conditions and die early :/ And have very little excitement in what you do.

Also, do you really consider the 400's Medieval? The Western Roman Empire fell in 476. I believe the class I took on Medieval history last year started in 768 with Charlemagne. If I'm remembering correctly.

It's a continuum. There are no fine-lines of where it begins nor ends, and anything that says there is is an arbitrary decision. Certain conditions which are believed to have lead into the Middle Ages began around the early 5th, and towards the 15th, conditions are believed to have led into a newer area of ethos. C'est tout.

"Look mah! The ants are fighting!" -Entertainment and possibly snack for the night.

Or, let's just have an extreme cultural mash-up like the scenario in my Let's Play of Thera: Total War.