Why do slim weapons exist?

Galenforcer

I remember the Short Bow being pretty useful in FE6 because I had like no other bows and a tight budget.

Actually, if you sell the Short Bow (assuming full uses), you can buy an Iron one and have some money left over. Still, when there's nothing else to use, they work in a pinch.

As many have said, the Slim Lance is great for Pegasi but the Slim Sword is pointless outside of FE4 and a few rare circumstances. Admittedly the Slim Sword also has a point in FE10 to a degree, while being able to crit doesn't matter compared to the superior might of Bronze there's at least SOMETHING it has over it, even if you'll never find a use for it. It probably would've been more useful if you had someone with E Swords other than Brom, though.

I also just like it for diversity of weapons. Just as I love stealing venin weapons and blessing them. I loved my bronze only and venin only (used hb to bless them for infinite uses, but just disarm with brom and steal with heather) playthroughs. =3

The Slim Axe is a paradox waiting to happen, and the "slim" Bow is actually the FE7 Short Bow, I'd believe.

Actually, I'd like to see a Slim Axe. It would actually be pretty useful for low STR (since that's what used for AS in the newest games) Axe users, and there ARE Axe users with low STR, I can't think of any in the new games that lose AS from Iron Axes (In FE11 the Fighter and Pirate base STR is low enough to lose 1 AS from Iron Axes but there aren't any characters in Male B who have 0 STR as a personal base so it's irrelevant), but it's probably a possibility and it would likely if they introduced a female Fighter or something (IS have a habit of shafting women with the encumbance rules...).

^that's cool and all but how is that going to work, physically?

I always thought Slim weapons were meant for units like Marcus or Seth, used for weakening.

(Yes I understand that Seth and Marcus ORKO with slim weapons anyway)

I found Slim sword a good distraction for Douglas in C16 if you don't warpskip it and if your select unpromoted sword user gets horrendously str-blessed that she actually does damage to Doug with Iron. (read: Fir)

Beyond that and FE4, it's not particularly useful.

I learned to love slim weapons in FE9. I gave a slim sword to Mia when she was a sword master. Sword master + slim sword + gamble = WIN. Since critical hits were strong enough to kill most of the time, the critical and hit boost really helped gamble's usage. That and killing enemies with high avoid. Might not be REALLY good uses but I loved using them in that way. :)