Read before posting a question

CT075

Well, I never really had a problem with it before, except that now that I have experience, a lot of life-related stress and a really, really foul internet mouth, I want to get this off my chest before I explode like I did in the EA Questions thread earlier (to those of you that remember that).

DISCLAIMER: This is not directed at anyone in particular. I make references to my tantrum at Scott Pilgrim (or whatever he calls himself now) because it was probably the one that most people remember. Not trying to call you out or anything, bro, just using the most prevalent example (so to speak). If I could access the old FEU Archive, I'd be able to make thinly-veiled references/in-jokes to a hacker/member long-gone.

1. The "Hacking Questions" forum exists for a reason.

The tutorial and the main section are for things other than your problems, so don't leave your clutter where it isn't wanted.

2. Accept that if something's going wrong, it's probably your fault.

To quote ShadowofChaos -

"Computers are stupid. They do EXACTLY what you tell them to. Therefore, if the computer screws up, it's your fault, not ours."

This was the main cause of my temper tantrum in the EA thread. It's not our fault, or the tool's fault, or the ROM's fault if something breaks, so I'd [we'd] appreciate it if you didn't insinuate as such when replying to our responses.

3. We are not going to go out of our way to be kind and/or to make it easy just because you asked us to.

It's probably a well-known assumption around here that I am an asshole. That assumption is right. On the other hand, I [we] have an expectation that you did your homework and did a reasonable search of the docs, etc. before you came and asked for help. "Reasonable" is entirely up to whoever decides to answer your question. It may be me, who will cuss at you until you submit, or it'll be shadowofchaos, who will more than likely give you a better answer.

4. Do your homework.

Related to the above, if you can't figure something out, at least try to show us that you tried. If an EA code isn't working, go read through the EA command list (aka the manual) and you'll most likely find it. If it involves some unwritten rule (I can only think of one or two off the top of my head, and I'm going to use the EA as another example), disassemble the vanilla chapters and find out how the regular game does it, and try it.

"but I can't read disassembled scripts"

Tough luck. If you see a code you don't know, try it out. That's... really the only way you're gonna learn this.

5. Read this.

Master Guide of "Am I gonna get yelled at"

Chances are you're gonna get either yelled at or snarked at anyway, but it'll be less. Hopefully.

Edited by Cam

If this is supposed to scare or intimidate anyone, it's not going to work. Since i'm likely part of the cause of this thread, i'll be happy to be your first opponent.

Now, if you notice, I only ask 2 different types of questions. I ask about things that are clearly not explained in the tutorial itself, or, something that i'm simply trying to get confirmation for. And i've said it before, and i'll say it again, I shouldn't have to try and disassemble the games events and try to figure out which code is which when there's a whole thread that should have this stuff explained, a thread that I will add has not been touched by it's original creator despite having 3 reserved posts and despite all the arguing that you and i have had.

Another point you brought up is that, while you and shadow and others don't have all day every day to answer our questions, the assumption that I have all day every day to work on hacking is a false assumption. I hold down a full time job. There are times where I go for a week or so with no time to even think about hacking. So when I come here and check out topics that are supposed to explain what I need to do to get things working, I shouldn't have to ask any questions for one, and I shouldn't have to waste what time I have to work on hacking waiting for a question to get answered that may not get answered because a few people have a hair up their ass about people asking questions. If it's not in the tutorial, you can't expect every random person who wants to work on a certain event to be able to figure out how to not only find the codes, but find the correct codes, just because a select few can. No one here is special or has authority just because you can answer questions that someone else can't figure out.

So, quite frankly, if you don't want to worry about answering questions, then just stay out of the topic. No one is forcing you to even answer any questions, so it's not right for you to go in there cussing up a storm just because you feel like it, or making threads and talking as if you were some kind of god. No one is scared of you and your 'wrath'. I'm not scared of you at all. In your mind, you might be something special. I respect you, but to me, you're just another guy in a random part of the internet who is easily ignored.

And another thing. About your "cursing", if I don't curse against you, then I expect the same respect of you not cursing against me, and the same goes for anyone who you feel like talking to in that way.

1) It doesn't work that way, despite what you might want. As long as the content isn't against the Code of Conduct (i.e. isn't derogatory or overly excessive (beyond a PG-13 level)), then people are free to curse if they want to.

2) Considering your first post was only 12 minutes before this one, you had no need to double post. The edit button exists for a reason.

1) It doesn't work that way, despite what you might want. As long as the content isn't against the Code of Conduct (i.e. isn't derogatory or overly excessive (beyond a PG-13 level)), then people are free to curse if they want to.

Either you haven't read some of his posts, or, they were just borderline as far as being moddable.

2) Considering your first post was only 12 minutes before this one, you had no need to double post. The edit button exists for a reason.

Sorry about that, but I wanted to make sure it was seen.

If this is supposed to scare or intimidate anyone, it's not going to work. Since i'm likely part of the cause of this thread, i'll be happy to be your first opponent.

This right here stopped me from even reading what you had typed after it.

This was not created to start any competition, there are no winners or losers, where you got that idea is beyond what I can imagine right now.

This was made for future reference to any new/newer members or members new to the hacking community to help those who have to decipher the often vague questions have to figure out how to answer.

And another thing, don't double post, there's an edit button--derp Glenn

This right here stopped me from even reading what you had typed after it.

This was not created to start any competition, there are no winners or losers, where you got that idea is beyond what I can imagine right now.

This was made for future reference to any new/newer members or members new to the hacking community to help those who have to decipher the often vague questions have to figure out how to answer.

And another thing, don't double post, there's an edit button--derp Glenn

Yes, perhaps I jumped the gun. But his last blow-up was because of me, and I don't appreciate coming here and having someone other than a mod tell me how things are going to be, and tell me they will cuss at me. That won't be accepted. Most of what he posted was also posted or mentioned in the EA thread because of me.

Yeah, I jumped. But I was the last person who riled him up, so I thought I would just put my 2 cents in.

Now, if you notice, I only ask 2 different types of questions. I ask about things that are clearly not explained in the tutorial itself, or, something that i'm simply trying to get confirmation for. And i've said it before, and i'll say it again, I shouldn't have to try and disassemble the games events and try to figure out which code is which when there's a whole thread that should have this stuff explained, a thread that I will add has not been touched by it's original creator despite having 3 reserved posts and despite all the arguing that you and i have had.

Another point you brought up is that, while you and shadow and others don't have all day every day to answer our questions, the assumption that I have all day every day to work on hacking is a false assumption. I hold down a full time job. There are times where I go for a week or so with no time to even think about hacking. So when I come here and check out topics that are supposed to explain what I need to do to get things working, I shouldn't have to ask any questions for one, and I shouldn't have to waste what time I have to work on hacking waiting for a question to get answered that may not get answered because a few people have a hair up their ass about people asking questions. If it's not in the tutorial, you can't expect every random person who wants to work on a certain event to be able to figure out how to not only find the codes, but find the correct codes, just because a select few can. No one here is special or has authority just because you can answer questions that someone else can't figure out.

So, quite frankly, if you don't want to worry about answering questions, then just stay out of the topic. No one is forcing you to even answer any questions, so it's not right for you to go in there cussing up a storm just because you feel like it, or making threads and talking as if you were some kind of god. No one is scared of you and your 'wrath'. I'm not scared of you at all. In your mind, you might be something special. I respect you, but to me, you're just another guy in a random part of the internet who is easily ignored.

There's a contradiction here. You say you don't have all day every day to hack, I say we have the same problem. We don't have time to figure out everything, make the data perfectly available in tutorials and otherwise make hacking very easy to you. Don't expect perfection from us and we won't do the same to you. Ability to do your own research is very valuable and if you don't want to do it/don't have the time, maybe hacking isn't the hobby for you. You certainly aren't entitled to hack, it's a privilege anyway you look at it especially since we are doing this for free.

The biggest reason you got rained upon you by Cam was your attitude, we've certainly helped more lazy/less experienced people with no problems. It is easier to change yourself than others, so if you want to avoid getting mixed up in shit-storms in future, I recommend chancing your attitude. It will help a lot in future both IRL and 'net and will save your valuable free time from participating to these pointless arguments.

I think it would be a good time to add the disclaimer, since from the looks of it people are having the knee-jerk reaction (IE, doing exactly what I would be doing in this situation).

DISCLAIMER: This is not directed at anyone in particular. I make references to my tantrum at Scott Pilgrim (or whatever he calls himself now) because it was probably the one that most people remember. Not trying to call you out or anything, bro, just using the most prevalent example (so to speak). If I could access the old FEU Archive, I'd be able to make thinly-veiled references/in-jokes to a hacker/member long-gone.

edit: and @ whoever thinks I'm just being a total dickwad, I totally am. And I'm going to tell you to get over it, because I have to relieve stress somehow.

Edited by Cam

edit: and @ whoever thinks I'm just being a total dickwad, I totally am. And I'm going to tell you to get over it, because I have to relieve stress somehow.

If you feel the need to relieve stress, save it for Far From the Forest. You shouldn't be bringing that kind of attitude or language into a serious topic where people are asking for help. It contributes nothing, and only serves to start up petty arguments. That's all i'm saying.

Honestly

I've seen these kinds of threads everywhere

they're dumb IMO

especially in a case like this where there at best once a day (but probably not even that, from my memory it's more like 1-2 times a week) somebody asks a question that has already been answered or the answer of which can be found easily. It's better and more friendly to just point to them and deal with it.

though Cam already said that this is just a stress-relieving post so it's acceptable and whatnot (not that I have suddenly become king to decide what is or not is acceptable, I'm just saying that I'm not attacking Cam's character or anything...), I'm just saying that people in general are kind of impatient with others. Being a person who's been in both situations (the knowledgeable and the ignorant) I've kind of grown to understand and tolerate the actions of both sides... it's easy to be a noob or a smartass *shrug*

lol this thread just screams "troll me!"

Really Cam, whats the point? Its not like anyone is going to read this, hell if it really annoys you that people are asking you for help, dont help.

The thread will die and eventually the person will be too discouraged to ask for help anymore.

Every time I visit the EA thread I see Cam helping others find a solution to their issues. He made the thread, and its nice that he shares his knowledge to guide others.

I don't go to that thread much so idk if Cam is rude or not, but I have asked for help many times before and Cam has never been rude to me. Nintenlord's advice is fitting, if we want help we should ask nicely ^^'.

I don't appreciate coming here and having someone other than a mod tell me how things are going to be, and tell me they will cuss at me. That won't be accepted.

If you feel the need to relieve stress, save it for Far From the Forest. You shouldn't be bringing that kind of attitude or language into a serious topic where people are asking for help. It contributes nothing, and only serves to start up petty arguments. That's all i'm saying.

Damn sweet contradiction.

Do you even realise what you're doing? Let me give a school analogy - You suck at math, but for some reason, you start asking math questions in your english class! Your friend, who's good in math, tells you to shut up and ask after class, but you respond, "Fuck you, I'm only going to let a teacher tell me I can't do math in science class!"

And then the teacher tells you to shut up. But no, you continue your case! You keep yelling at your friend for trying to tell you what to do, that he gets pissed off at you! You then tell him, "No, if you want to get pissed, you ought to go screaming in your home or something, instead of in school where people are trying to learn. The fault lies with you, not me!"

Again, do you even realise what you're doing?

Edited by JBCWKitty

Firstly, thank you to Cam and anyone else who has volunteered his or her time to answer hacking questions. Sharing your knowledge is laudable and important to the community; FE hacking could not grow without your help. So please understand that what you do is very much appreciated. Secondly, I agree that learning hackers need to do their homework and exhaust every other option before asking for someone's precious time. However, there is no justification for flipping out, cursing, or otherwise expressing rudeness towards those who ask questions. This isn't real life, where an annoying person can get in your face and not leave - it's an internet forum. If a question is too exasperating to respond to, you need only refrain from hitting "reply," and instead reward only worthwhile questions or threads with your time. No one is obligated to answer every single person, and you have the freedom to pick and choose who you teach.

In short, if you aim to hack in a professional manner, then you should also approach the education of others in a professional manner. Please consider this the next time you go to answer someone's question. A good attitude towards newbies promotes a good - and far less hostile - community.

Edited by Kittehlaine

If someone is stupid enough to make a mistake once, it happens. If it happens a second time, then you can make a problem out of it if you want. The real problem is that there are just too many jackasses on the internet.

Alternatively, you could just say that the question they are asking has been answered before or you can just ignore it.

Edited by Blademaster!

Yes! Use the Serenes Forest questions board for all ROMhacking questions, and always use the search function before posting because someone else has probably been stuck in the same place as you! There is no reason to overwork the staff and hackers with questions that have already been answered.