Rugby World Cup 2011 - New Zealand are Champions

Raven

So it's already kicked off. New Zealand (the hosts) have creamed Tonga 41 - 10.

These are the fixtures, along with results. All times are in New Zealand time:

3e9c774521735664cc2981f07140cc9a.png

bcbc85a1c7a000b7fe318d184845864e.png

a3475ef0e0803e8781d3953ad5abf06e.png

5b4762d000d1d56b4f7ce1c046adf7e5.png

Go Wales.

Edited by V-Raven

More games have been played today:

Pool A

France 47 - 21 Japan

Pool B

Scotland 34 - 24 Romania

Argentina 9 - 13 England

Pool D

Fiji 49 - 25 Namibia

Tomorrow:

Australia v Italy

Ireland v USA

South Africa v Wales

Edited by V-Raven

I'm used to Divisions in US football, not Pools. They mean the same thing though, right? They're divided by skill? I'm just getting into rugby.

The teams are not divided into skill or anything like that. There are 5 teams in each pool, placed randomly.

The winner and runner-up (1st and 2nd) in each pool qualify for the quarter-finals. Teams ranked third, fourth and fifth will be eliminated from the Tournament.

Quarter-final matches:

QF 1 - Winner pool C v Runner up pool D

QF 2 - Winner pool B v Runner up pool A

QF 3 - Winner pool D v Runner up pool C

QF 4 - Winner pool A v Runner up pool B

Teams winning quarter-final matches qualify for the semi-finals and teams losing quarter-final matches will be eliminated from the Tournament.

Semi-final matches:

SF 1 - Winner QF1 v Winner QF2

SF 2 - Winner QF3 v Winner QF4

And so on.

>several 40+ scores

This isn't the rugby I know

What is the rugby you're more familiar with? The scoring system is slightly different (5 points a try, 3 points for a converted penalty kick) to what I'm familiar with, but these teams are among the best in the world.

And on that note, new matches were played today.

Australia 32 - 6 Italy

Ireland 22 - 10 USA

South Africa 17 - 16 Wales

South Africa won the 2007 Rugby World Cup, so I was expecting Wales to get killed here. They held up well, and I think they will make it into the quarter-finals with S Africa, hopefully.

Some new games have been played since my last update:

14th September 2011:

Tonga 20 - 25 Canada

Scotland 15 - 6 Georgia

Samoa 49 - 12 Namibia

15th September 2011:

Russia 6 - 13 USA

16th September 2011:

New Zealand 83 - 7 Japan

17th September 2011:

Argentina 43 - 8 Romania

Australia 6 - 15 Ireland

South Africa 49 - 3 Fiji

18th September 2011:

France 46 - 19 Canada

England 41 - 10 Georgia

Wales 17 - 10 Samoa

I was pretty worried that Wales would end up losing to Samoa. Samoa were leading by 10 - 6 by the end of the first half, but during the second half Wales ended up defending well and getting themselves 11 points (2 penalties and a try).

Also a surprise was Ireland's win over Australia. They are pretty much guaranteed a place in the Quarter-finals now.

Less of a surprise was New Zealand crushing Japan.

What is the rugby you're more familiar with? The scoring system is slightly different (5 points a try, 3 points for a converted penalty kick) to what I'm familiar with, but these teams are among the best in the world.

Well, normally in a tight match between veterans you'd expect both teams to have relatively low scores as they reach a stalemate. 83-7 in rugby is like 8-0 in football, and in a world cup for football such scores rarely occur.

Well, normally in a tight match between veterans you'd expect both teams to have relatively low scores as they reach a stalemate. 83-7 in rugby is like 8-0 in football, and in a world cup for football such scores rarely occur.

Wouldn't it be more like 12-1, which is even more ridiculous? That's equivalent to 11 converted tries + 2 converted penalty kicks. Or subtract 3 from the first and add 7 to the second. Or some other set-ups with non-converted tries.

I'm sad my Canada lost to France, though Canada is never that good in these things if they aren't hockey or curling, so no real surprise there.

Wouldn't it be more like 12-1, which is even more ridiculous? That's equivalent to 11 converted tries + 2 converted penalty kicks. Or subtract 3 from the first and add 7 to the second. Or some other set-ups with non-converted tries.

I'm sad my Canada lost to France, though Canada is never that good in these things if they aren't hockey or curling, so no real surprise there.

France is one of the favourites so it should be no surprise. The Canadians did well to beat Tonga and still have a good chance to make it through.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not updating for 10 days; I have been without internet.

Here are the games that have played since the update:

20th September 2011:

Italy 53 - 17 Russia

21st September 2011:

Tonga 31 - 18 Japan

22nd September 2011:

South Africa 87 - 0 Namibia

23rd September 2011:

Australia 67 - 5 USA

24th September 2011:

New Zealand 37 - 17 France

England 67 - 3 Romania

25th September 2011:

Argentina 13 - 12 Scotland

Ireland 62 - 12 Russia

Fiji 7 - 27 Samoa

26th September 2011:

Wales 81 - 7 Namibia

27th September 2011:

Canada 23 - 23 Japan

Italy 27 - 10 USA

28th September 2011:

Georgia 25 - 9 Romania

Remaining fixtures:

Pool A:

France - Tonga

New Zealand - Canada

Pool B:

England - Scotland

Argentina - Georgia

Pool C:

Australia - Russia

Ireland - Italy

Pool D:

South Africa - Samoa

Wales - Fiji

This is what the pools currently look like

(Top 2 teams of each Pool by the end of the Qualifiers will go to the Quarter-Finals):

0dcd4ea2cb2a99901274702a8a2b8b32.png

d0b5114493533e04b0c438f6de68eaab.png

As for the amount of crazy pointage that gets racked up in some of these games, the answer is simple: The high-scoring team outclasses the losing team. By a lot.

Just watch a game - you will be surprised what can and does happen within the 80 minutes of play that occurs.

It wasn't really a mathematical equivalent, more like an example of a high score.

Well currently you're third in your pool, which is definitely respectable.

New updates:

30th September 2011:

South Africa 13 - 5 Samoa

1st October 2011:

France 14 - 19 Tonga

England 16 - 12 Scotland

Australia 68 - 22 Russia

Remaining fixtures:

New Zealand - Canada

Argentina - Georgia

Ireland - Italy

Wales - Fiji

So, Tonga beat France. Careless.

Scotland nearly beat England, but England got a try and a conversion in on the ~77th minute; 3 minutes before the game was to end. If Scotland is to go through to the Quarter-Finals, Georgia needs to beat Argentina by 7 points or more. But that's very unlikely to happen.

To me, it's looking like the following teams are going into the Quarter-Finals (in green), and the rest (in red) are going home:

From Pool A:

New Zealand

France

Tonga

Canada

Japan

From Pool B:

England

Argentina

Scotland

Georgia

Romania

From Pool C:

Australia

Ireland

Italy

USA

Russia

From Pool D:

South Africa

Wales

Samoa

Fiji

Namibia

With the final 4 games of the opening round played, it's on to the Quarter-Finals. Here are the results:

2nd October 2011:

New Zealand 79 - 15 Canada

Argentina 25 - 7 Georgia

Ireland 36 - 6 Italy

Wales 66 - 0 Fiji

This is the final lineup for the pools; top 2 of each pool is through to the QF:

b826a126a1d6c66374ef5f04a6a26b85.png

85f03459fce8d316b48f754acb862453.png

And this is how the rest of the tournament looks:

Quarter-final One: 8th October

Ireland v Wales

Quarter-final Two: 8th October

England v France

Quarter-final Three: 9th October

South Africa v Australia

Quarter-final Four: 9th October

New Zealand v Argentina

Semi-final One: 15th October

Ireland/Wales v England/France

Semi-final Two: 16th October

South Africa/Australia v New Zealand/Argentina

Bronze final: 21th October

Loser SF1 v Loser SF2

Final: 23th October

Winner SF1 v Winner SF2

I'm considering watching all of the QF games live - going into the University's Union to watch them with other people who have the same idea. Should be a good weekend for rugby. Just hoping Wales pulls through against Ireland. That would make my weekend. If not, the I'm hoping Ireland pulls through and gets to the Finals. I don't care for either England or France, personally.

You should be more appreciative of your neighbours D:

I do. But when it comes to this game, due to rivalry, we would like to see them lose. If they win, then good on them.

Edit: Oh you're from England, didn't notice. But my personal opinion says you're going to beat the French.

Edited by V-Raven

Half time now for Wales and Ireland. Wales is winning 10 - 3. Many think Wales will win, but it could be anyone's game, I reckon.

Edit: Full time sees Wales through to the Semi-Finals.

Wales 22 - 10 Ireland.

Wales will play either France or England in the Semis, depending who wins there.

Edit 2: Annnnnnnd, I'm off back to bed.

Edited by V-Raven

8.30am is a much more reasonable time to watch rugby, as opposed to 6am. Couldn't stay up to watch England and France too.

But yeah as kirsche was indirectly implying, England lost to France, the final score being: England 12 - 19 France.

Wales will play against France in the Semi-finals on the 15th October at 2100hrs New Zealand time.

There's two more QF matches remaining - South Africa v Australia, and New Zealand v Argentina, playing tomorrow. It will be South Africa or Australia v New Zealand or Argentina in the other half of the Semi-finals.

In my opinion, based on previous matches, the points for and against in the pools too, Wales and France will be a good game, but Wales will take it to the Finals, before losing to New Zealand there.

While no devotee, I'm following this casually. I've been hearing (I... think, anyway) that the Australian squad is relatively weak, which is of course outrageous given that Australians are used to being the best at every sport (except football, but that's for, well...). So, um, is there any reason that these possibly imagined rumours are true?

Oh, and on a sidenote the New Zealand Warriors (a Rugby League team that plays in Australia for... some reason) are suddenly kicking ass in OUR OWN GODDAMN COUNTRY. I don't know the first thing about League beyond 'how to basically play' (which to be ignorant of in an Australian public school is considered suicide), but apparently (from the word of 'this taxi driver' and 'my equally league-apathetic uncle') a bunch of New Zealand union players migrated to it and are now winning everything with a completely different (presumably union-based) playstyle. Might be of interest to someone, so I figure I may as well leave this little piece of trivia here.

Edited by Furetchen

While no devotee, I'm following this casually. I've been hearing (I... think, anyway) that the Australian squad is relatively weak, which is of course outrageous given that Australians are used to being the best at every sport (except football, but that's for, well...). So, um, is there any reason that these possibly imagined rumours are true?

Yes. Back whan there were four pools, Ireland beat Australia (Pool C). Ireland played 4 games and won 4 games, while Australia played 4 and won 3; losing to Ireland only.

Wales just beat Ireland in the QFs, so yeah.

South Africa was in the same pool as Wales and beat them by a single point (17-16, which shouldn't have happened). If Australia are beaten by South Africa, which they probably will be, then they won't be reaching even top 8.

IMO, New Zealand will beat Argentina, and South Africa will beat Australia. NZ will continue on and beat South Africa, who will then face Wales and win the World Cup. 3rd place will go to either South Africa or France.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html

What do you think?

Well now. Holy shit.

Australia 11 - 9 South Africa

Ireland beat Australia. Australia beat SA. SA beat Wales. Wales beat Ireland. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS WORLD?

Regardless...

New Zealand 33 - 10 Argentina.

This is one of my correct predictions, at least. Either way, I still think NZ are through to the Finals after they beat Australia, to face Wales who will beat France. I hope. Our neighbours of England, Scotland and Ireland (sorry, bros) have all been knocked out. It's time for retribution.

Saturday 15th October at 2100 NZ time (0900 GMT): Wales v France.

Sunday 16th October at 2100 NZ time (0900 GMT): Australia v New Zealand.