Does anyone else think Krom/Chrome's weapon is a placeholder?

Kysafen

51 members have voted

1. 1. 封剣ファルシオン = placeholder name?

• Yeah, it's probably a placeholder
    • It's as much a placeholder as Kysafen's a competent human being. Which he isn't.

You guys know how in this picture, text next to the weapon icon says "FuTsurugi Farushion", in which "fu" means "Seal" and "Tsurugi" means "Sword", and... Falchion. Judging that they used the same Kanji for The Sword of Seals here as they did in FE6, combined with Falchion, this seems more like a placeholder weapon name, if not a placeholder weapon. And unless he's having it stolen from him in the game's plot, you probably wouldn't have your Lord's final weapon this early on in the game.

Sorry if this sounds overly obvious or if anyone else mentioned this.

Personally I think the name is way too specific to be a placeholder. Ike's personal weapon was once given the names Rapier and Long Sword, but not something like Whirlwind Master Sword.

Then again, I thought the Micaiah vs Caineghis scene was actually going to happen in FE10.

Edited by VincentASM

I don't. There's nothing in these pictures which indicate something is in a testing phase. And people need to remember that this game is basically almost finished, it's in its final rush stages. Planning was a long, long time ago.

I don't. There's nothing in these pictures which indicate something is in a testing phase. And people need to remember that this game is basically almost finished, it's in its final rush stages. Planning was a long, long time ago.

Is this supposed to be sarcasm?

Not being mean, just wondering.

How do you know it's near finished? There's no release date and we haven't seen more than a few scenes. It's definitely not like the last game where it was "Oh by the way a new game's coming soon. Welp, here it is, have fun."

Edited by Saloma

And you subtract a couple months for finalizing, manufacturing, distribution, and stocking. Game's aren't worked on up to the week before they're released.

Around four months is a good amount of time, but it's not the amount of time a game suddenly has things changed in it. Most prototype leaks don't show notable differences unless they're more than eight months from release date.

Edited by Celice

I think Rewjeo's idea is the most plausible, personally, though it's not totally out of the question that it's just a placeholder. But then again game creators tend to do less of the whole prototype-final version change thing where screens/videos shown early on don't match the final game, right? or is it just me? I feel like there isn't as much 'game leaking' and 'prototyping' and 'super fast rip-apart hacking' as before...

EDIT (typo)

Edited by Strawhat Luffy

unseen64.net

tcrf.net/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&limit=500

It is just you. Just a couple weeks ago Diddy Kong Pilot was just leaked. That game was scrapped entirely and reworked as Banjo-Pilot. But a huge prototype bounces out now. A couple months ago one of the most sought after unreleased NES games was also dumped, about two decades after what little information about the game came out in magazines. Datamining in games still happens, as you can see with The Cutting Room Floor and its daily updates.

And you subtract a couple months for finalizing, manufacturing, distribution, and stocking. Game's aren't worked on up to the week before they're released.

Around four months is a good amount of time, but it's not the amount of time a game suddenly has things changed in it. Most prototype leaks don't show notable differences unless they're more than eight months from release date.

Four months? For just Japan alone? For a country with such a breakneck-fast economy, four months sounds like a pretty leisurely amount of time, but then again I know next to nothing of Japan's games industry.

And even if they're so far in development, what would suggest that the videos/pics aren't from an earlier build? Implied professionalism?

By the way, what was the dumped NES game?

Edited by Kysafen

There's no reason to show older builds--virtually all developers show footage from the latest build because they want to market their product--they don't want to show an out-of-date shot which doesn't represent that product.

And the game in question is Bio-Force Ape.

Wow, I'm glad you brought that up. I checked out the link and that is a pretty awesome and hilarious game. Even with just three levels, they played very well like a complete, but very short game. It's too bad it was never finished, it would have been a great game for the NES.

Your theory hinges on a critical lenma that's probably untrue,and that's Roy having just as much significance as marth, which is simply not true.

Marth is the hero of the first FE and pretty much the face of the series, he started it all.

Roy's simply the first lord to appear on the GBA, he shares that distinction with Marth (SNES, DS), Ike (GC) and Micaiah (Wii), though we can discount micaiah for not being a sword user, you can also count Lyn/Eliwood/Hector for the first lords to appear outside of Japan on an actual FE game, (hector again doesn't count since his signature weaps are axes).

Roy's second significance is that he's the first lord of a second continent, but he shares that distinction with Whoever the lord is in II, Celice, Ephraim/Eirika and Ike.

Roy's third significance is he was in smash, but again, so was ike, and if you want to count her, Lyn.

There's no unifying trait that makes Roy more special than any of the lords above, so there's no real reason to write Sealed Sword/Falcion, anymore than Tyrfing/Falcion (<-- actually, there is an argument here since they look exactly the same) or Ragnell/Falcion.

That and 封印の剣 =/= 封剣.If there really is no space to write out all of 封印の剣, then there's no reason to write it into the name to begin with. It's just a placeholder.

So all in all, you're probably wrong. IIRC Falcion's just one of Naga's fangs anyway, no reason why he couldn't have made another one for another hero on another continent.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm somehow inclined to say no, seeing that across the series, different things with the same name is not that uncommon. FE13 could as well have a sword conveniently named Falchion, just like how more than one continent has Excalibur.

You should also take into context the mythological significance of the name. More often, the names are chosen for their allusions more than histoire only.

like so

and like so more

Chrysaor was also the golden sword of Sir Artegal' date=' the Knight of Justice, from Edmund Spenser's The Faerie Queene. The sword was given to him by Astræa, who had been holding it since the days when Jove used it against the Titans. Because it was "Tempred [sic'] with Adamant", it could cleave through anything.

And then Chrysoar itself.

Edited by Celice

Huh, did not know that Falchion was mythological.

Well even then, it's not the first time FE repeatedly use a mythological reference. Excalibur was in FEAkaneia, FE7 and FE8, as totally different tomes with no links to each other besides, well, being a tome. Not to mention Aircalibur and Graphicalibur which have -calibur in the name. And Excalibur was a sword.

So I don't see the big deal with another Falchion anyway.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

I doubt that it's a placeholder. It's too specific. The name also could be a reference to previous games. It may be early in the game, but it could be for display purposes only.