Anyone else having issues with Firefox?

Florete

It feels like half the time I click a link or open a new tab, Firefox decides to hang and freeze for ~5-20 seconds before giving me back control, during which time it is "Not Responding." It can also happen from just scrolling down a page, or even nothing at all. I figured it was probably just a Firefox issue since it started soon after an update but it's gone on for a few weeks now and recent updates haven't fixed it.

Does anyone know what's going on? My patience is running thin and I'm about ready to switch browsers, but I'd really prefer to keep using Firefox.

Haven't noticed that during those times that I do use Firefox. Try a different browser, and see if your computer does that. It might not be Firefox that's causing the freezing.

Firefox was pretty slow for me lately, so I switched to Chrome. I still use FF occassionally, but with how fast chrome opens and runs in general, and a good portion of my bookmarks being on Chrome, I couldn't be bothered to switch back.

Disable all your add-ons. Then try. You might have an incompatible/outdated version which is hogging up resources.

This is basically what I was going to say, so I stopped my post just to agree with it :P:. Most issues with FF are related to add ons and extensions, it is *definitely* the first thing you want to check if you're having problems after an update.

Internet Explorer worked fine. Most of the add-ons I had were already disabled automatically for not being compatible anymore, so there wasn't much left to disable, but I tried and will see...

Try going to Task Manager, the Processes tab and right-click "End Process Tree" on "plugin-container.exe" and then reloading the page. This will reload all your plugins / add-ons automatically for you.

Be sure to save any work beforehand.

Try going to Task Manager, the Processes tab and right-click "End Process Tree" on "plugin-container.exe" and then reloading the page. This will reload all your plugins / add-ons automatically for you.

Be sure to save any work beforehand.

I checked but I'm pretty sure it wasn't there :/.

Here I was thinking "I really hope others have this problem too so I don't look like an incompetent moron."

EDIT: Doesn't look like disabling add-ons worked.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

I checked but I'm pretty sure it wasn't there :/.

Here I was thinking "I really hope others have this problem too so I don't look like an incompetent moron."

What version of Firefox are you using / operating system? I'm pretty sure the latest Firefox on Windows can't run without having that process running or your Adobe Flash pictures / media wouldn't load not to mention a bunch of other things. You should try uninstalling Firefox and reinstalling the latest version from the website.

Or threaten to kill one of these 1291403865-red_panda_close_up.jpg if all else fails.

I tease =)

The processes related to Firefox could be different on Windows 7 as I've only ever owned up to Vista. Try typing in "about:crashes" in the location (edit) bar* if your browser has crashed in the past and clicking on the most recent one to try to find a detailed fix from the source. You can also configure your Windows Firewall (or whichever firewall you use) to delete the Firefox exception in the firewall and then re-adding it as an exception / unblocked program with all options and heightened privileges etc.

These websites could also be of some use although I haven't read through all of it:

http://kb.mozillazin...g/Firefox_hangs

http://forums.mozill...?f=38&t=2323823

If it's still the same after reinstalling Firefox 7 consider going back to Firefox 6 etc. as a last resort.

I empathize with you on using a preferred program of choice and going through hell to make sure it works. I do it all the time =S

Edited by black.ops

I'm back.

I didn't actually do anything different, but I did discover something interesting; these freezes only occur when this forum is up. Firefox runs smooth as ever if I'm not here.

Is that ironic?

I'm back.

I didn't actually do anything different, but I did discover something interesting; these freezes only occur when this forum is up. Firefox runs smooth as ever if I'm not here.

Is that ironic?

mm you should try playing around with your forums settings like flash uploader, RTE and me and maybe it'll solve an add-on or memory problem. but you should definitely just open up my help links in a new window so you don't have a problem looking for a solution.

I'm back.

Is that ironic?

That's incredibly odd. I would suspect it to be something involving lag due to connection or add-ons, but I guess it's possible firefox is screwing up. I haven't had any problem with ff though.

ITT SF conspires against its mods.

This is getting even weirder, at least I think. I did some testing and the reason it freezes is because the forum would cause Firefox's CPU usage to go high and never get lower until I close the tab and possibly refresh some other site. After more fiddling around, I found out what causes that to happen: the banner. As far as I can tell, I can browse the forum with no problems if I don't ever click the banner.

Is there an explanation for this?

The other night I had this problem while both using this forum and BBC News Online, amongst other stuff.

I restarted Firefox and the problem seemed to disappear, so meh.

Nothing wrong with IE, IMO it's hated on for no good reason.

For the time being. . .you're more-or-less right. Use Opera. It's about the only other thing that works the way I want it to, and it's faster.

Honestly, the differences between Firefox and Chrome are minuscule. The only people who will care about their differences are web developers or anyone in a related field, where Firefox is the browser of choice for reasons most regular web viewers won't even care about. Firefox also has a larger pool of add-ons and styles (including ChromiFOX, for those of you who dislike FF's design and like Chrome's), but I don't expect casual Internet users will care a ton about those.

IE on the other hand is significantly slower than both at optimum speeds.