Would you say this is cheating?

Are either of these strategies cheating? No, not in the least. Are they cheap? Not at all. But you if you're going to do it, you might as well save yourself the time and run through the tower, rather then abuse bosses/regular enemies. Alternatively, just use your weaker characters and it won't be long at all until they are more then durable enough to survive enemies, bosses included. Enemies in Sacred Stones are so weak a technique like this shouldn't really be needed.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhhh. . .

Which boss is this?

Its the boss in chapter 9, Eirikia's path. I didn't take Seth or Gilliam and he does alot of damage to my other characters and it would be pretty risky to fight him. Shooting him with my archer and rescuing the archer would mean he can't fight back at all. I thought it was a good strategy to fight him but its kinda lame...especially because he can't move.

Out of curiosity, is there any part of this you actually enjoy?

If you mean the game entirely, then yeah, I definitely enjoy the story and making up strategies and figuring out who to use.

If you mean the "cheating" part, I don't really enjoy that cause it kinda feels like cheating. But it's not tedious or anything (thanks to the aforementioned turbo button)

I don't remember what Binks has, but unless he has a reaver weapon, just gang up on him with your sword users like Eirika, Joshie, and Franz, if you've trained them.

Either I haven't trained my other units enough or Binks is just really powerful. He only has a steel axe and steel bow but his stats are really high. 43 HP, 16 Str and 12 Def.

Eirika can do max 2 damage to him with steel sword or rapier, but he has a 36% chance to kill her instantly. Franz can do 4 damage to him and loses almost all HP to his counterattack which has 44% chance to hit.

Only other sword user I got in this map is Colm, who actually does the most damage (6) but still loses all but 1 HP to his counterattack (35% chance to hit).

Neimi can do pretty decent damage but I'm sure he will kill her with his bow.

Garcia is the other guy who I trained alot and he would kill him in 3 hits, however the boss kills him in 2 hits.

If you mean the game entirely, then yeah, I definitely enjoy the story and making up strategies and figuring out who to use.

If you mean the "cheating" part, I don't really enjoy that cause it kinda feels like cheating. But it's not tedious or anything (thanks to the aforementioned turbo button)

I mean your strategies. They don't seem like they leave much room for tactics or are particularly rewarding. I wouldn't call them cheating, but they seem like they would make the game dull, and a few minutes per enemy is certainly more tedious than the usual.

Either I haven't trained my other units enough or Binks is just really powerful. He only has a steel axe and steel bow but his stats are really high. 43 HP, 16 Str and 12 Def.

Eirika can do max 2 damage to him with steel sword or rapier, but he has a 36% chance to kill her instantly. Franz can do 4 damage to him and loses almost all HP to his counterattack which has 44% chance to hit.

Only other sword user I got in this map is Colm, who actually does the most damage (6) but still loses all but 1 HP to his counterattack (35% chance to hit).

Neimi can do pretty decent damage but I'm sure he will kill her with his bow.

Garcia is the other guy who I trained alot and he would kill him in 3 hits, however the boss kills him in 2 hits.

Try rescuing your units if necessary to get them out of harm's way after combat. Are you using any mounted units besides Franz?

Edited by Othin

I mean your strategies. They don't seem like they leave much room for tactics or are particularly rewarding. I wouldn't call them cheating, but they seem like they would make the game dull, and a few minutes per enemy is certainly more tedious than the usual.

Well okay, maybe waiting 5 minutes for enemies to break their weapons isn't as fun as real battle but I'm used to it, I've played MMO's before and this is nothing compared to real grinding. I've decided not to do it much anyway.

As for the other strategies, I really don't know if I should be proud of coming up with these kind of tactics or if it's just a lame way to play the game. I think the reason I do it is because I'm kinda perfectionist in these kind of games and want to do everything the best way possible. For example earlier when I tried to do this chapter I didn't get to recruit Amalia (or whatever her name is) and even though I have no intentions of using her, I still restarted the chapter, just because it didn't go perfect and I want all characters. Hell I've even restarted chapters because I accidently used a powerful weapon when it wasn't neccesary and didn't want the durability to be wasted.

Try rescuing your units if necessary to get them out of harm's way after combat. Are you using any mounted units besides Franz?

Yeah I got 2 pegasus knights who are pretty useless against this boss, and Kyle, who does decentish damage but has the same problem, he gets hit way too hard by this boss.

In any case, I managed to take him down with Colm who kept dodging his attacks...still kinda feels like cheating cause I tried it with Garcia earlier who died so I just loaded state and did it with Colm instead. But whatever, atleast I'm done with this chapter.

Edited by Sikker

Restarting chapters to recruit all characters and keep them alive is how the games are almost always played, actually. But grinding is never necessary to accomplish it; personally, I hate grinding and I feel that a great aspect of the FE series in comparison to other RPGs is that grinding of any sort is never forced or even really encouraged.

For mounted units, I meant that they can help for carrying your other units out of the way - have one unit attack, have a mounted unit move up, rescue them, and move back out of the way, and have another unit take and drop them so that they can attack next turn. I mainly meant it to help with using Neimi; that doesn't seem to have been necessary, but it's good to learn for next time if you don't know it already.

Edited by Othin

For mounted units, I meant that they can help for carrying your other units out of the way - have one unit attack, have a mounted unit move up, rescue them, and move back out of the way, and have another unit take and drop them so that they can attack next turn. I mainly meant it to help with using Neimi; that doesn't seem to have been necessary, but it's good to learn for next time if you don't know it already.

Actually, that is exactly what I was talking about earlier :

What about this: Shooting at a powerful boss who doesn't move, then rescuing the archer and moving them away, and repeat next turn? Is that a clever strategy or just lame?

I was asking if using an archer to shoot, and then avoid any damage by rescuing her and moving away is a valid strategy or "cheating".

Oh, and here I am at the next level, and I get a unit that can dance for 10 exp without even having to face an enemy? I can easily just dance her way to level 20. I won't do it but I just wish they didn't make these things so easy to abuse.

Edited by Sikker

You don't have Joshua? Man.

Well, I don't think IS expects most of us to take this long on maps, being a strategy game after all. Idk, I wouldn't have the patience to. What I like about FE is that you don't need to grind to beat the game, which isn't the case with many other RPGs.

Also, in this game, 35% hit is actually less than 35%. It's because the system generates two RNs, one to hit and one to dodge. So a 35% chance of getting hit is lower than it looks. http://www.serenesforest.net/general/truehit.html

I was asking if using an archer to shoot, and then avoid any damage by rescuing her and moving away is a valid strategy or "cheating".

Oh, and here I am at the next level, and I get a unit that can dance for 10 exp without even having to face an enemy? I can easily just dance her way to level 20. I won't do it but I just wish they didn't make these things so easy to abuse.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Really, barring the enemy control glitches, RNG abuse, and external modifications, nothing is "cheating", and I don't think anyone really minds the glitches, either. It's just a question of what you feel is worth the time to do. Personally, I don't feel like it's worth it for me, but it's your time; you decide what you feel is best to do with it.

Edited by Othin

You don't have Joshua? Man.

Well, I don't think IS expects most of us to take this long on maps, being a strategy game after all. Idk, I wouldn't have the patience to. What I like about FE is that you don't need to grind to beat the game, which isn't the case with many other RPGs.

Also, in this game, 35% hit is actually less than 35%. It's because the system generates two RNs, one to hit and one to dodge. So a 35% chance of getting hit is lower than it looks. http://www.serenesfo...al/truehit.html

I recruited Joshua but I never bothered using him, he seemed kinda boring and I have plenty of other sword users...

And thanks for that list, I was wondering why those units with 25% chance to hit would miss 10 times in a row...I thought it was just luck.

I'd think if someone bothered to do that it still really wouldn't be abuse. Tethy's being a non-combat unit gets almost no benefit from levelling up that it's near pointless for her(besides a slight survivability increase) but grinding her to level 20 would be a bit counter productive anyway because the main use of Dancers is generally to cut turn counts as opposed to spending 190 turns to get her from level 1 to 20.

I'd think if someone bothered to do that it still really wouldn't be abuse. Tethy's being a non-combat unit gets almost no benefit from levelling up that it's near pointless for her(besides a slight survivability increase) but grinding her to level 20 would be a bit counter productive anyway because the main use of Dancers is generally to cut turn counts as opposed to spending 190 turns to get her from level 1 to 20.

I've seen alot of talk about turn counts, does this actually do anything or do people just want low turn counts for bragging rights?

I've seen alot of talk about turn counts, does this actually do anything or do people just want low turn counts for bragging rights?

It depends. Some games have rankings based on certain criteria, including turn counts, but they don't usually impact the gameplay itself; they're just a form of recognition. They're mostly just one form of adding challenge, which has acquired disproportionate favor here, but it's thought of more reasonably among FE players as a whole. So feel free to ignore the preaching of it here if you wish to.

Edited by Othin

I think those of us who like to actually have a way to measure how well we're doing and try to do better than last time are quite unfairly portrayed by the more casual players here. I don't know where you get "disproportionate" from or where the "preaching" is.

Every time I've attempted to explain the matter to one of the low-turn preachers, they've repeatedly ignored facts and alternatives. I see no reason to waste my time with it again, since right or wrong, it's clear that neither side is going to get anywhere.