So about the Kitty fad...

ha ha ha ha ha you care about fitting in and acceptance

ah ha ha ha ha ha ha

What is funny is your name does indeed suggest pride in oneself. Because Emmerson wrote all about personal integrity and how it combats conformism and consistency ("A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds").

SO YOU'RE ACTING OUT YOUR NAME WOO

What is funny is your name does indeed suggest pride in oneself. Because Emmerson wrote all about personal integrity and how it combats conformism and consistency ("A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds").

SO YOU'RE ACTING OUT YOUR NAME WOO

Holy fuck you actually read poetry?

Anyway, Emerson was a bit of a tool. Maybe. I don't really know.

Holy fuck you actually read poetry?

Anyway, Emerson was a bit of a tool. Maybe. I don't really know.

Plot twist: I write poetry, too.

Naw, this was more like a pamphlet/novel thing called "Self-Reliance." As a romanticist/transcendentalist he wrote other works on similar topics, like "Nature." Those transcendentalists were suckers for clearing up complication and depending on one's self.

Never read his stuff? xD

Only read a couple brief snippets of his work a few years back, left no lasting impression on me.

I read his stuff a few days ago for my American Literature class.

It's cool, though. The stuff they're saying makes a lot of sense. But I've always loved the Romanticist period.

Dark Romantics are my favorite, though, since they acknowledge all sides.

... Thoreau, on the other hand... Kill me. Emerson, his mentor, was WAYYYY better.

Edited by Lux Aeterna

Most of what you said went way over my head.

Oh. I, uh, am obsessed with literature, so yeah... xD;;

Nerd bonding, lovely.

Nerds are sometimes the best kind of people bro

Is it really bonding when he says things I don't even understand and I say "ok"?

IF YOU WANT IT TO BE

I read his stuff a few days ago for my American Literature class.

It's cool, though. The stuff they're saying makes a lot of sense. But I've always loved the Romanticist period.

Dark Romantics are my favorite, though, since they acknowledge all sides.

... Thoreau, on the other hand... Kill me. Emerson, his mentor, was WAYYYY better.

Umm... Holy Shiitake? I just learned all that in MY American Lit class.

QueenElinciaKitty, who by my recollection was late to the fad, sparked me to ask "isn't it a little late to join the kitty fad" or something like that, to which she responded "it's never too late," therefore I joined it as well. So, the fad is as alive or dead as you feel like making it.

Personally I consider myself to really be a dog, but then again, they never say that dogs have 9 lives and I definitely have had more than one. (A cat a cat a cat am I? How many times will I then die?)

Per the conversation on (WALDO) Emerson, not Emmerson, I never really liked his stuff. I do like his periodic structure but his points just seem overly concerned with things I don't care about, I don't mean to say he's pretentiously self-obsessed like I am but ya...just was not a big fan of his at the time of reading his stuff. I don't disagree it's possible that an oversoul exists, but I don't really remember feeling that on the level of rational persuasion, he did not do a very good job of inculcating in me a belief that he had any sort of reason for making the claims he did. Then again, perhaps his intent in that piece of rhetoric was not to persuade but to elaborate for the persuaded - even so, one questions the reasons for which he felt he could elaborate on so mysterious a topic. As for Thoreau, all I have to say is that the pale wanness one develops when one has tuberculosis is not, I believe, a signal of virtue, nor is dying a tragically early death. Again, I favor his style but do not have a fondness for his works, then again I could afford to peruse more of them than I have.

One of my favorite works when I was in my literature class reading nonfiction persuasive essays was the argument on liberal and technical education, argued by Matthew Arnold on the liberal arts side and one of the Huxleys (not the one who wrote Brave New World...) on the technical side.