I've ruined my ROM when i edited the text

HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

what i was doing is changing the names, as well as changing the descriptions...or atleast i thought i was fine then whenever i open the rom it just makes an loud noise and crashes...

all that work...gone to waste...hack making surely is much tougher then i expected...and i expected it to be tough.

Is there a better way to edit the text without it crashing? i might just give up on this

If you don't fully comprehend what you're doing, do things in baby steps first, making back-ups just in case. It's better to play around and see what works before you really put in the effort in an actual edit.

Also, if all you edited was a little bit of data, you could open up an unaltered ROM and copy/paste the data you somehow fucked over. Likewise, you could salvage other data too.

Adding onto that:

If you're not sure about a certain step in a process, make a copy of your rom. Name it 'test.gba' or whatever. Go about your business. If something fails, then try again until your desk has a dent shaped like your head, then you can come ask us.

If it works, replace your working ROM with test.gba.

See how that works?

I personally date my back-ups but anyhow...

1) Read tutorials if you're not sure about something

2) Note every little thing you do and don't use something if you're not sure how to use it--like you may make some "insignificant" change that is actually very major without knowing it, thus why you have to note the changes you make and the things you don't know

By limiting problems and noting the changes that cause problems you're setting yourself up for few glitches or glitches that are easily reversible (if you know what caused it then you just have to figure out how to do undo it and get it working--and if you know what caused it then you can make a post about it and we can try and point out what happened). Worse come to worst you have a back-up to fall back on.

In this topic all I really know is that you tried to text edit but I don't know if that's the ONLY thing you did or HOW you did it or on what ROM version (NA, EU, or what?), etc...

I wrote this tutorial on Shrine of Seals (if linking to other FE forums is not OK, just let me know) for using a version control system to keep organized backups. You really should do this; manual backups get messy incredibly quickly. It also makes sure you can always get a clean ROM without having to re-download it from somewhere.

(You need to expand and read all the spoilers to understand things properly. Version control is a very useful tool with a lot of functionality that needs a lot of explanatory text.)

Edited by zahlman

I wrote this tutorial on Shrine of Seals (if linking to other FE forums is not OK, just let me know) for using a version control system to keep organized backups. You really should do this; manual backups get messy incredibly quickly. It also makes sure you can always get a clean ROM without having to re-download it from somewhere.

(You need to expand and read all the spoilers to understand things properly. Version control is a very useful tool with a lot of functionality that needs a lot of explanatory text.)

Lol I was just looking for this./endofftopic

The same thing happened to me before.

If you are on a bar where you type in a name or pointer in the text editor, and then click out of it without typing anything, it will crash

It crashed on me while saving. I had to restart my hack

So DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING while saving

guess i'll one day re edit all the gameplay i had set up for the demo, when i feel like getting around to it.

but yes what i THOUGHT i was doing was changing the character names and Descriptions...which crashed the game the next time i uploaded it.

besides that i successfuly changed data from Eliwood's 11-15.