[Final Fantasy IV GBA] Draft 1

Whitefang

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tellah (2nd)

I can't believe he lasted to my next pick. I guess I'm not screwed for Mt. Ordeals after all. Plus, weak/tornado is killer on the Dark Elf. Yeah, he trivializes a lot of bosses. I am, however, quite screwed for Demon Wall.

Edward (1st)

Trust me, I think I know what I'm doing with this.

Edited by Whitefang

Yeah, but Cecil has trouble against the 4 zombies that Scarmiglione comes with the first time. I don't know how many potions I'll have at that point and how many I'll need. I also don't remember any elixirs being available at that point in the game. Oh well.

Edited by Whitefang

EDWARD 2ND. THAT'S RIGHT MOTHERFUCKING EDWARD.

Well, a crapload of bonus levels at endgame never hurts. I would've picked him if not for Demon Wall.

Palom. That's the boy, right?

Tough to say. I'm willing to hear everyone's input on the matter. Perhaps we should just not count the Golbez fight at all. Too much fiddling if you have to revive your characters and kill Rydia and so on. Plus with the script and fight before it, it would become infuriating quite quickly.

I agree that the Golbez fight shouldn't be counted, since Rydia is pretty much required (unless you want to take a REALLY long time with a lot of pain and agony). Also, I can't remember Barbariccia very well, is Kain required to get her out of her cyclone, or does she eventually stop that after a while?

I agree that the Golbez fight shouldn't be counted, since Rydia is pretty much required (unless you want to take a REALLY long time with a lot of pain and agony). Also, I can't remember Barbariccia very well, is Kain required to get her out of her cyclone, or does she eventually stop that after a while?

I recall doing a low level Cecil challenge and it was hard. Very hard. However, it is doable with enough patience. The problem is that it takes forever. I eventually cheated through the fight by hacking in adamant armor. So...I'd say Kain is free to break the cyclone only. Maybe that will work.

If drafted characters must be revived immediately, we probably wouldn't need the rule that they must be alive at the end of boss fights.

For free characters, I think their level shouldn't be counted, as they'd likely be quite underlevelled anyway.

EDIT: since I'm going to be away...

If I reading the rules correctly, Marth can't choose Young Rydia, so I'll take her. If he can and does, then Rosa 1 or Yang 1 in that order.

Edited by Baldrick

Well, however it works out, I'm reasonably confident that Kain (1st) is free, so I played up until Kaipo to get things started. I'll post my score here.

Count your level for the Fabul battle sequence as what you begin the sequence at. I chose 15 as a generic level as that is the level of both bosses immediately prior and after that event. You don't have to kill the officer to defeat him, you can let him retreat.

I'll keep my score updated here.

Total Score: -60 through Golbez

Level Score
D. Mist             10    0  (Cecil:10, Kain:10)
Officer             11    0  (Cecil:11)
Octomamm            10    1  (Cecil:11)
Antlion             2     13 (Cecil:12, Edward:5)
Mombomb             15    -19(Cecil:12, Edward:9, Rosa:10, Yang:10)
Battle for Fabul    15    -13(Cecil:13, Edward:9, Yang:10)
Milon               15    3  (Cecil:13, Tellah:20)
Milon Z             15    4  (Cecil:14, Tellah:20)
Dark Knight         17    -3 (Cecil:14)
Baigan              9     3  (Cecil:1, Tellah:20)
Kainazzo            16    -1 (Cecil:10 Tellah:21)
Dark Dragon         19    -4 (Cecil:13 Tellah:21)
Sandy, Mindy, Cindy 16    4  (Cecil:15 Tellah:21)
Valvalis            36    -19(Cecil:17)
Calcabrina          47    -29(Cecil:18)
Dr. Lugae           25
Rubicant            50
EvilWall            37
Elements            50
CPU                 48
Zeromus             63
Asura               63
Leviatan            79
Odin                53
Bahamut             47
Pale Dim            98
Wyvern              99
Plague              96
D.Lunar             99
Ogopogo             62

Edited by Whitefang

I missed the edit by Baldrick.

I will take Yang (1st)

Kain (1st) and Rosa (1st) are free for everyone for the one battle they partake in. Kain is useless, Rosa is not quite as useless but at least she'll earn some points for everyone.

My team:

Cecil (Free) - He is a boss. Easily as good as Kain, except he can't wield the blood spear. With his poor stats, though, it wouldn't be advisable anyway. Oh crap, there's a loophole for me. I can get infinite gil because I had not drafted any returning characters after the Dark Knight fight (later Kains, Yang, Rosa, Rydia). I won't use it, however, and you guys won't because it'll increase the exp of your other characters. Man, and I thought I had thought of everything.

Palom (2nd) and Porom (2nd) - This was a tricky one. The best characters were taken (though I expected Rosa to go first) which left me with a choice. I could go for physical (and lots of claw applications) with Yang or I could get a healer. I wanted a healer. This gave Palom some extra utility since he can twincast with Porom. I hope I don't regret the decision, they might not be able to twincast reliably at low levels. Edge would have also been useful since he's around for a few bosses before the twins show up. Edward has healing potential and an epic final weapon, but...Edward...plus I think he'll earn me points earlier in the game so I wanted to leave that choice open. Finally, Cid sucks. So I went with the twins. Looking back, I'd exchange Palom with Yang.

Tellah (2nd) - Eh...I didn't want to waste Hi Potions on Scarmiglione's minions. Tellah can just nuke them. He will also be instrumental against Baigan for healing/one spell on the body. He'll own Cagnazzo with Blizzaga and he will be clutch against the Dark Elf/Dark Dragon fight, since that boss is weak to tornado for some reason. At least, that's true in the SNES version...I don't know for sure in the GBA version. I hope so. At least he can do Firaga instead. He'll be ok against the Delta Sisters, too. I'll figure out something for him to do.

Edward (1st) - He comes at level 1 or something and is available for 3 boss fights. I couldn't draft Tellah 1, Porom 1, or Palom 1. Fusoya is only available for Bahamut (+3 points but trivializes it) and Elements/CPU (-2 points assuming no levels gained). Sucky. Again, Cid sucks. Young Rydia was worth fewer points if my calculations were correct.

Yang (1st) - He will sponge exp from Cecil and is worth about -9 maybe -10 points. Hopefully the exp sponging is worth some points against Scarmiglione. Edward will also do this. It might be 1 less level earned in the Fabul sequence.

Free - Kain (1st), Rosa (1st) - Kain doesn't even prevent Cecil from leveling up against Mist Dragon. Utterly useless. Rosa will heal, and I have 4/5 possible characters for Mom Bomb. She'll have to heal a lot in that battle. Hopefully she sucks some exp from Yang and Edward giving me a better score at Fabul.

Edited by Whitefang

I'm not too familiar with LLG of FFIV, so idk how i'll do here. Cecil is cool and free.

Kain (3rd) - Jump is always cool, although I'm not sure if it warrented a first round pick.

Yang (3rd) - Again, not sure if he's second round material.

Edward (2nd) - Decentish support character.

Porom (1st) - Nuking Scarmiglionie's minions, and comes low levelled

Tellah (1st) - Yep.

Up to Baigan -> -7.

Level Score
D. Mist             10    0 (Cecil:10, Kain:10)
Officer             11    0 (Cecil:11)
Octomamm            10   11 (Cecil:11, Tellah:20)
Antlion             2     9 (Cecil:11)
Mombomb             15   -8 (Cecil:12, Rosa:10)
Battle for Fabul    15   -3 (Cecil:13)
Milon               15   -6 (Cecil:14, Porom:10)
Milon Z             15   -4 (Cecil:14, Porom:12)
Dark Knight         17   -2 (Cecil:15)
Baigan              9    -4 (Cecil:1, Porom:13)
Kainazzo            16
Dark Dragon         19
Sandy, Mindy, Cindy 16
Valvalis            36
Calcabrina          47
Dr. Lugae           25
Rubicant            50
EvilWall            37
Elements            50
CPU                 48
Zeromus             63
Asura               63
Leviatan            79
Odin                53
Bahamut             47
Pale Dim            98
Wyvern              99
Plague              96
D.Lunar             99
Ogopogo             62

PICKING TELLAH WAS SO STUPID :facepalm:

All the fights so far have been such jokes so far I'm not even going to bother explaining them.

Up until Mom Bomb. Yang wouldn't die, even when I waited to kill him off, the remaining bombs just blew up and ended the battle for me :/

I couldn't kill off Edward because he got into critical HP and just hid, and it would have cost some potions and such on Cecil to kill off Yang, so maybe make a rule where forced characters can just sit idly by during those battles?

Milon 1 took a while since he has quite a bit of HP, and Cecil did like 200 damage a hit, and took 70ish damage from the thunder counter. Thankfully, Porom could heal off the damage.

Milon 2 was a joke. Porom cried, then spammed cure on the party, while Cecil just hacked away till he died.

Baigan was a massive pain. I burned 2 ethers here so Porom could keep the Cura's moving, but otherwise, it was level 1 Cecil hacking away for 100ish damage for most of the fight. Cry helped a bit, I guess. NAHT.

Edited by General Horace

I agree with you, Horace, picking any Tellah is a bad idea. Level 20 is :angry: However, I don't have 4 characters at endgame, so you should be able to make up for it.

For Mom Bomb, it's very easy to kill Yang because of how much damage he takes fighting the Domovois, and everyone else can be killed before the battle starts.

Anyway, I've gotten to the dark knight.

Mist Dragon - Attack. Though I haven't calculated it, I think that because of the low levels, Kain does more damage by attacking thanks to his crits. For some reason, critical attacks just aren't as good at higher levels due to the variance in the damage an attack can do. Weird.

General, Octomammoth - Attack. Wasted a potion in the Octomammoth fight.

Antlion - Edward hid, Cecil attacked. Thanks for nothing, Edward.

Mom Bomb - Edward hid until explosion, Cecil and Yang attacked until explosion, Rosa healed until explosion. Yang used gird and Cecil and Rosa used defend just before the explosion. Yang kicked, Cecil used darkness, Edward salved, and Rosa cured. I should have let all the bombs explode for 0 exp, but in the end only one self-destructed. Keep that in mind, everyone. Feel free to steal that strategy.

Fabul - This was a joke. Kain did 4410 damage to Cecil. He was defending, so I'm interested to know if that is some kind of bug, as I've never seen Kain do that much damage there.

Scarmiglione - Cecil and Tellah used some potions, Cecil attacked the elemental Lord while Tellah took out the zombies.

Scarmiglione 2 - Tellah equipped the staff and used that for the poisona effect. He cast fire when he could, but mostly healed the party while Cecil did the heavy lifting. Stupid useless Tellah.

Your score is too high for the Octomammoth fight, Horace, it should only be +11, not +21. (Tellah is +10, Cecil is +1).

Edited by Whitefang

Rosa (2nd) - I was lucky to get her.

Cid (2nd) - The endgame choices were a bit thin, but perhaps I should have chosen Edge

Kain (2nd) - Hello Demon Wall and doors.

Palom (1st) - Somebody for Mt. Ordeals. Would've preferred Tellah, but I can't have everything.

Rydia (Young) - Useful, and should net me some points. Good for a last pick.

I'm having some bigtime issues with Cagnazzo, might have to take a Tellah penalty, because when he goes into his shell and does turtle defence or whatever, it seems to increase his evasion like crazy, and Cecil can't hit him, and Palom does shit damage (he's pretty much needed because Tsunami)

You should try using any elemental items that you have first, that might help. Cecil can dispel the water at least with a Wrath of Zeus. I believe the Ancient Sword's curse might work as well.

Edited by Whitefang