the Leg Ring, Who should get it?

It's logical for the language it's being translated into, innit?

If the original name connotes a more hearty, masculine tone (regardless of gender), needlessly tapping on the feminine end castrates the name's original intention. If the name is obviously slanted with a feminine rhyme, one would try to find the equivalent in another language. If there is no indication, it's nothing more than personal preference--no should involved.

There's no official translations for FE3 characters, thus both Cecil and Cecile are valid.

The same as what Lumi said, and what I said in my post.

EDIT: To clarify, if you can't understand: if there's no measurable side to whether the name has a masculine or feminine tone in its original language, then the name can be translated either way. This doesn't mean it automatically should become feminine simply because the character is a woman. Just because "It's logical for the language it's being translated into" doesn't mean the name in its original language should be forced to obey the nuances of another language. If the language can acknowledge gender tones, that is no valid reason to imply that gender tones exist for the original name in it original language. That's for the original language to explore.

Edited by Celice

While I appreciate your explanations (no, really, no sarcasm there) you failed to answer my original question. In the original language, lack of official translations aside, does Cecile's name carry any masculine/feminine connotations or does it lack either?

Edited by Integrity

Fuck if I know. I think in Japanese, in dialogue there can be clarification as to whether there's a specific tone for a character (like Cecil-chan or something like that). But I don't study moon-speak :|

We don't know for sure because we can't see what the writer was thinking when they chose the name. Maybe they acknowledged the feminine tone of the name, and thought it was an exotic choice for the character--that could suggest that a feminine ending is intended. Maybe it was Cecil. I don't know if there's a kana difference between Cecil and Cecile I don't have Japanese copies of FF4 and FE3 available

That is what localization divisions are for--to try and decide how a feminine ending, or any other similar language-contrivance should be explored. But localization is a lot more than a translation :/ The original "I'd even say Cecile's more valid because Cecil's a dude's name (Cecil Harvey, anyone?)" is speaking about validity. That's for the game's language to decide, again, not ours. It's a bit of a danger to believe things are intended one way only because you recognize something in your own, equally limited manner. In this case, it's topping on an 'e' for the sake of the character being feminine, a grammatical trick which not all languages adhere to. The validity is in question when one says it's "more valid" based from a linear viewpoint :E

Edited by Celice

Whoever you think you're gonna use the most. Seriously, it just depends on your playstyle. I practically make Gen2 nearing a Lakche solo, so I put it on Lakche. If you want your healer to have more movement, give it to Aideen to put on Rana. If you're doing Hol!Sety, stick it on Sety. It doesn't really matter. Just give it to who you think you're gonna use the most.

@_@

Cecil is different with cecile

I think you'll think that while people might quibble over whether a girl or a boy's name is more appropriate for a girl, that both Cecil and Cecile are referring to the same character who is in FE3. The character from FE4 is Celice, or Serisu for weeaboos.

That being said, Celice is the best choice for the Leg Ring initially, although it should probably be pawn shopped to Leen or Laylea.

Edited by Anouleth

I actually sell the Leg Ring at Velthomer since evil Julia follows Celice all the way there and she wants to buy it to get down to Julius quicker. That's the only time Celice doesn't own it.

Edited by Integrity

I often chug a Fire Sword on Fee (or some other magic sword) and make her a hit'n'run. The leg ring could make that a little easier too, I suppose. But I could never see much use in it for getting villages sooner, unless it was like for an item or something. Even so, if she grabs all the villages, money to buy back her victuals won't be as easily available for other characters :[

I usually pair the Knight Ring and the Leg Ring on the same unit.