Ways to Improve aspects in FE7

HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

I'll list two examples/questions.

Question 1: should bows be given 1-2 range to make up for archer's sucking, or should something be done about the archer/sniper class in general?

Question 2: Would it be balanced if Bartre got two more points of base speed so he might have a chance at becomming good?

feel free to ask your own questions and suggestions.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll list two examples/questions.

Question 1: should bows be given 1-2 range to make up for archer's sucking, or should something be done about the archer/sniper class?

Bows hould be given 2-3 range. It's super spectacular. Snipers should get crit boost.

Bows hould be given 2-3 range. It's super spectacular. Snipers should get crit boost.

Every bow getting 2-3 range is broken. It wouldn't balance archers, it would break them. Unless you decided to weaken the Bows' MT/Hit at the same time.

I do agree that Snipers should get the +15 crit boost.

Balancing caps and bases for most classes and giving generic enemies Luck would help.

Make the choice between Wallace and Geitz less easy. Make Wallace more useful or make Geitz less useful.

Make Eliwood and Lyn more useful; they're forced units for crying out loud, and Hector is still the best lord.

Somehow make it not possible to ORKO the Dragon. I admit, I use Luna too, but it just trivializes the final fucking battle.

Make 26/28 less luck-based. Make Zephiel, Nino, and Jaffar more durable, at the least.

Here are some of the things I would do to improve FE7:

-As a lot of people said, give snipers the +15 crit boost. Just as some sort of incentive to using an archer/sniper over Rath.

-Either buff Karel or nerf Harken. Also, either buff Wallace or nerf Geitz. There should be no reason why one should be significantly better than the other.

Here are the buffs I'd make:

NAME   		LVL LVL MHP STR SKL SPD LCK DEF RES CON WEAPON
Karel   	00  08  36  19  23  24  15  14  11  09  Swd A

Wallace(LM) 	15  00  34  16  11  08  10  18  07  13  Lnc A
Wallace(EM) 	00  01  38  18  13  11  10  20  10  15  Lnc A/Axe C

and while we're at it, let's buff Karla:

Karla   	00  05  35  17  22  22  17  13  12  07  Swd A

-I really don't see why the lords' dragon killing prfs need to be so fucking heavy. Give Durandal and Armads their FE6 weights and give Sol Katti a weight of 8.

-(Applies to FE8 as well)Reduce the weight of tomes to their FE6 weights so characters can actually use them properly.

-The dragon needs to be impossible to ORKO. My suggestion is to give it an iron rune and 21 speed(so you can't steal it).

-And if it isn't painfully obvious already, give enemies some actual luck. Like 30% luck growth will do the trick.

-Oh, and for the love of god, buff Zephiel in BBD. The story says he's a brilliant fighter, so give him stats to match(15 across the board w/ 40 HP will do)

Edited by darkandroid125

I don't think Karel needs a boost. Karel comes with the Wo Dao which is almost exclusive to him, has great supports, and decent stats.

Karla, on the other hand, should have some sort of a boost. Especially if people actually use Bartre and need to recruit her, having a 20/20 Bartre, even with a Hand Axe, may kill her. I'd make Karla level 10 ish and make her more useable. Because Bartre just needs an Iron Rune to survive Karla.

Karla, on the other hand, should have some sort of a boost. Especially if people actually use Bartre and need to recruit her, having a 20/20 Bartre, even with a Hand Axe, may kill her. I'd make Karla level 10 ish and make her more useable. Because Bartre just needs an Iron Rune to survive Karla.

Use an Iron Bow.

Every bow getting 2-3 range is broken. It wouldn't balance archers, it would break them. Unless you decided to weaken the Bows' MT/Hit at the same time.

I do agree that Snipers should get the +15 crit boost.

Balancing caps and bases for most classes and giving generic enemies Luck would help.

It really only gives them an extra range space. They still don't have enemy phase unless they use a short bow (or a crossbow...) Bow's need to be worth using, as you have magic that's 1-2 range, and it hits res, which enemy characters have zero to none of. This means that the archers have more positions from which they can attack. Meanwhile, archers from enemy lines can shoot this far too. It balances out. Viola~ you have a reason to use bows over javs/ hand axes at some point.

I want a reason to use different classes. Classes need to be distinctive.

Edited by Bryan

Giving archers 2-3 range would really only make the game a nightmare for the human player. Chapters that are heavy with archers couldn't be killed in the enemy phase and would block much of your path for a low turn count. I am not sure about giving them 1-2 range. It just seems weird for it to attack at 1 range. Bows are cool and still useful. They are just doomed to be sub-par for most things.

If you want to give Bartre better base speed, might as well go all out and give all characters some little boost. Like Dorcas getting at least 30% speed growth.

I agree with legendary weapons getting a weight reduction. Although, it might not do a whole lot. Lyn pretty much has to be trained to 20/10 (or at least given an angelic robe) to even survive a round against the Dragon. Eliwood is too balanced in stats to really ever double the dragon (except prevent getting slaughtered from being doubled by the dragon with that heavy thing).

I do not think there is much incentive to use any of the swordmaster classes. They aren't really outstanding classes in any way, at least with the characters you have to choose from.

Buffing Wil's and Rebecca's stats would help the game's balance more than changing any of the bow mechanics. Maybe give Longbow better accuracy and damage output. Bows won't be useful for other classes no matter what you do with them, other than giving them 1-range.

Bartre should just have a really huge Spd growth instead of his base increase.

The choice between Wallace and Geitz actually isn't there for people who play efficiently, since raising Lyn and Eliwood is a pain (since they're kind of bad) and Lloyd's map takes less turns. Wallace may suck, but people tend to be forced to get him. He could use a buff but he's never going to be really useful - he's worse than base level Oswin! Geitz definitely does not need nerfing.

Buffing Karla really doesn't do much since she's so unavailable. Make her join during the Eliwood/Hector exclusive maps where they get their divine weapon, so she has free deployment in a map where you're hurting for unit slots!

-(Applies to FE8 as well)Reduce the weight of tomes to their FE6 weights so characters can actually use them properly.

Why even bother with weight if all of your basic tomes have weight lower than any unit's base CON? That's my complaint with FE6 tome weights - they're (almost) utterly irrelevant.

One change I would really enjoy is enemy speeds to be competent and consistent. It doesn't make sense to me that the slowest playable characters can double half the enemies. They eventually add in some fast ones (Fuck Cog of Destiny Valks.) so I guess that's no big deal.

Some secret evemt is good ( like FE 4)

Aren't the extended cutscenes from getting the Eliwood X Ninian A support and the Respite in Battle conversation in both stories as well as the Don't Die conversation in Hector's Story from getting the Hector X Lyn A support enough secret events?

Not to mention Hector's conversations with Matthew and Serra during battle preparations, Eliwood's conversation with Oswin in Victory or Death, and Eliwood's conversations with Lyn and Hector, and Hector's conversation with Oswin during the endgame. All of which happen in Hector's Story.

There are a few like that, but it would be interesting to see more of them and among the minor characters. Fee talking randomly to herself and her pegasus is sort of different than Eliwood talking to Oswin about Uther's death.

But Fee talking randomly to Mahnya occurred in a time when Support Conversations didn't. So that and about four other events in total (granted, one shifted a bit based on her dad) was Fee's entire character development. Even the lowest of the lows in FE7 gets three support partners or is Athos.

But Fee talking randomly to Mahnya occurred in a time when Support Conversations didn't. So that and about four other events in total (granted, one shifted a bit based on her dad) was Fee's entire character development. Even the lowest of the lows in FE7 gets three support partners or is Athos.

Athos got his fair share (well, maybe that's not the right word, because of lack of supports) of character development, though.

I don't actually think giving more 2-3 range bows (not all of them, just increase the number of them existing) would break archers, since they'll still lack a meaningful enemy phase unless there's more enemies with 1-2 range and you just happen to place the archer at the farthest point of their ranges. But that'd exist to make swords suck more so I would not want that. 2-3 range just gives them a better player phase, which is still pretty good. Their bases could do with a raise as well--most prepromote Snipers are actually decent-to-good units. Archers just take too long to train from their ridiculously low bases of 4-6 in each stat.

Athos got his fair share (well, maybe that's not the right word, because of lack of supports) of character development, though.

Regardless, the point was that even a nobody like Karla has four support partners with three conversations each for character development. For raw data (not going to talk about the quality of it today), that's leagues better than Fee had even with secret events.

Their bases could do with a raise as well--most prepromote Snipers are actually decent-to-good units. Archers just take too long to train from their ridiculously low bases of 4-6 in each stat.

I agree. The reason why archers suck right now is because their bases are just fucking atrocious(using Rebecca as an example, she's got 17HP/4str/6spd/3def, which is awful as she 4-5HKO's shit, doesn't double, and gets 2HKO'd.). While I can't do a whole lot to improve her enemy phase, I would give her(and Wil)some revamped bases to give her an actual player phase:

NAME   		LV1 LV2 MHP STR SKL SPD LCK DEF RES CON SUPPORT
Rebecca  	01  00  19  07  08  10  04  03  01  05
Wil      	03  00  22  09  09  10  07  06  00  06 

With these new bases, Rebecca's offense in the earlygame is decent if not good. 10 AS is doubling most of the bandits in her first 4 maps, as well as basically any pegasus knight. 13 atk would also allow her to 3HKO most enemy types in Chapters 12-13x(except for the pegs, which she 2HKO's and ORKO's as a result.) This, combined with her initial doubling would allow her to shave off 2/3 of most enemies' HP in one round, allowing scrubs like Eliwood and Lowen to get kills.

As for Wil, the same 10 AS I gave Rebecca allows him to double everything in C16 except for mercenaries, myrms, and high end cavs using an iron bow, and what he can't double, 18 atk with a steel bow will let him 2HKO mercs/myrms and 3HKO cavs. Not bad in all honesty.

Louise does not need any major improvements as her bases are acceptable anyway.

The problem is that in order for archers to be anything near worthwhile, their stats have to be better than that of regular units.

Not sure where you're going with this, there are plenty of units that need to have inferior stats to be balanced =/

FE10 got it right with Shinon. And then not so much with Rolf and Leonardo, proving they still don't get it.

edit: And Astrid.

Edited by Mekkah