Lord of Azure Flame Chapter 26: Many Meetings

Phoenix

Charlotte briefly considered telling Adena that all the formalities were rather unnecessary, but they had just met and it was rather nice to have her station so easily acknowledged.

"Hmm," Charlotte thought to herself putting a hand on her chin. "General Alexandra Sagesse is a stalwart warrior. A bit on the dour side, but that isn't the worst thing in these times. I'm sure she would be quite helpful," she said, indicating the silver-armored woman.

"Tessa, you have someone to assist you, correct?" she said, changing her attention.

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With permission, Tessa had moved close to Snips and let Charlotte take charge of the conversation for a while. She gently patted the horse at the withers, and then moved into a steady stroke rhythm up and down its neck. She still listened, of course, and there were a few things she picked up on that she felt like asking about when she was ready.

When the princess addressed her with a direct question, the time had come. The valkyrie stopped befriending the new horse, and turned to reply. "Hmm? No, not really anyone in specific? I figured I'd probably just stick around either Kelas and Arrin, or maybe tag along with Sis? Oh, but I did just promise Aiya that I'd make sure Damian returned safe, so I do need to keep an eye on him too. I guess, that's kind of the usual course for me isn't it, heh heh." She shrugged and let out a sort of self-disparaging laugh. "Not really the best on this forming battle tactics or getting more organized business am I?"

Turning to the new healer, she added her own two coppers on Charlotte's suggestion. "As far as The Comet goes, dour is a bit of an understatement. It could just be a lingering first impression, but her heckling me to just kill her and get it over with left its mark, you know? Still... did fight quite well. I'd personally suggest... um... Midori, I think it was?" she pointed over to where the lancer and Helios were standing. "Seemed like a real sweet lady, but she can't remember much. Past, identity, anything. Haven't seen her fight though, so maybe not... Oh, or there's always Conrad, Viveka, or Jasmine if you want to stick with Elysimians. Maybe Chase too, we did meet him there actually," she added, while wrinkling her nose in disgust "But you really ought not deal too much with him, by my reckoning at least. Oh, I'm sorry, I must be rambling again. By the way, I do quite like your horse, I shall have to introduce you to Trevor sometime."

Having concluded that bit of busybody, she turned back to her friend with her few questions. "Ah, also Charlotte, while I'm remembering to ask: What exactly is a Dual um... virate, and... are you sure Eric is safe? I must have missed hearing about this, but nobody is really acting alarmed, so..."

OOC: Iris later. Helios if I think of something other than just standing around scowling.

Edited by Balcerzak

"Ah, well, I would never let someone being unpleasant prevent me from meeting them! Besides, maybe she was just going through a bad time. I'm sure she'd be happy to have a healer around her even if it means she'd be protecting someone else as well as herself." Adena grinned a little at Tessa, feeling more comfortable with her than with the princess, and then walked over to the woman that Charlotte had pointed out, leaving Snips with Tessa as he seemed quite happy to be right where he was. When she reached Alex, she took a deep breath and then extended her hand. "Uhm, hi. I'm Adena. I'm a healer that's been assigned to this group for the battle. I was talking strategy over with the princess and Tessa and it was suggested that I ask you if you wanted to be paired with me for the battle. We'll be splitting up so that we can heal more people and decided it would be a good idea for each of us to find someone to help protect us. Not that I can't fight. I'm quite proficient in fire magic, but it's a little difficult to protect myself while healing someone and so I figured that it would be a good idea to follow what they suggested and they said you were a good fighter so I decided to come talk to you and yes. They said your name was General Alexandra?" She stuck her spare hand over her mouth to keep herself from continuing to babble and waited for a reply.

Edited by scorri

"A duumvirate is an alliance between two political leaders- in this case myself and Sir Eric. I imagine you're wondering since when is Sir Eric a political leader...well he's Jace's son," Charlotte said rather lamely, unable to think of another way to put it. "And yes he's safe. He's the same as before, what we fought back near Burgosas was a demon. The real Eric was killed and resurrected- a strange tale I know, but it is not our place to know all that the Lady does," Charlotte explained to Tessa.

That One Halberdier

Alex was currently in the business of trying not to think about very much, and as a result, when the seemingly excited healer who introduced herself as Adena approached, she sort of jumped to a start.

"General Alex Sagesse, of Septimus," Alex quickly replied, as she shook Adena's hand. "Pleased to meet you, though were it under any other circumstance. Anyways, it sounds like a better idea than what I would've been doing otherwise during the battle. So, yes, I will fight alongside you." That would mean the Prince would have to be guarded by someone else, assuming he wasn't just here to see the Princess off. Maybe Viveka? The Comet began to mull over the options.

That One Swordsman

There it was. Eric was now getting a glare from Helios, and general invisibility from the rest of of the group, which was certainly reasonable. Even still, it wasn't very comfortable in that square. The swordsman shifted a bit, but otherwise gave no indication that he was uneasy.

The Prince and the Pegasus

Bellerophon was tugging on his reins rather harshly, an action Tristan struggled against for a while before finally giving in. The reason Bellerophon was so eager to head in that particular direction was obvious, as he immediately stopped, puffed up his chest, and postured his wings several feet in front of Susann.

"You know you can't be running off to play with other pegasi all the time you know, particularly in the middle of a battle," Tristan scolded Bellerophon half-heartedly. "Although...Viveka you've commanded pegasi units before right? Do you know how to do that 'triangle maneuever' thing?" he asked her.

Iris had nodded as Isotov's assessment. She had no particular desire to speak with Ixion, though there wasn't any particular reason to avoid him either, as far as she was concerned. As it were though, the lieutenant was certainly on board with locating the princess before they departed to the battlefield.

As luck would have it, the sister was apparently of the same mind as the brother, and had been seeking him out as well, for she (along with that tagalong) had appeared at the end of the hallway. As Isotov called out to her then moved to meet her, Frederikov followed along, bowing her head slightly in greeting rather than interrupt the conversation for now.

After the siblings had exchanged greetings however, and there seemed an appropriate spot in the conversation to interject, she piped up. "Certainly, let's go rally up with everyone else, but as we move along, I'd like to hear if you have any particular plans for the coming battle. After all, I do have to see to it you're protected. Will you be fighting together or separately? I know Milady will be riding her mount, but what about you Your Highness? On foot or in the air, this time?"

There were just a bundle of details to concern herself with, and at the very least, doing so kept her mind off of the fact that it would be demons this time, rather than simply other men. How could she be able to handle herself in such a situation, was a niggling thought Iris much preferred not to have to think about.

Gathering Point

It had been so long(Like one day?)! The magnificent one had finally returned. Susann felt safer than ever and left Viveka's side to stand closer to him. Viveka, not usually having to deal with a wandering pegasus, didn't react right away when the pegasus left her. By the time she decided Susann was too far from her for her liking, the cause had revealed itself.

"Oh hi, Tristan. Triangle maneuver? Ohhh the triangle attack." She realized. "Jasmine and Lucille knew how to do that maneuver with me but we never got the chance to test it in an actual battle, but I know what it looks like, and it's very devastating if you can pull it off. The timing is crucial though, or everyone will just crash into each other. Sure, your target gets the worst of it no matter what, but people have died messing up that attack. Oh, rambling ... was there something in particular you were wondering about it?"

Somewhere Else ... Probably the Estate

"I usually fight on foot," Iso replied. It was lousy compared to his sister's way of getting around, but he wasn't exactly adept at riding wyverns. Even if he was, this was an urban fight they were heading into, he figured, and the chances of crashing into something seemed likely enough. "Though I could use a horse if we need to get somewhere a little faster or something."

"Speaking of which," Irina began. "I need to figure out what to do with Kiev. I'll be riding Nikita and I can't just leave him behind. I was hoping he could help pull people out of combat once they can't fight on kind of like Lev does, but he's not trained for that. My only other idea would be lending him to you, Iso ..."

"I barely know how to ride. Honestly it's a miracle I didn't die back in Kalten."

Bellerophon and Tristan

Bellerophon beamed at the attention given to him by Susann. He hadn't received nearly the amount of adoration he was due during the last day or so and it had been rather bothersome.

"Well we probably shouldn't try that then....particularly since a triangle has three sides, I did pass geometry you know. Anyway, I was just looking for some advice before the battle coming up- well assuming we're going to have one. Other than my time with this group I haven't had any hands-on experience, it's all been, er theoretical," he admitted to Viveka.

"Actually," Tas spoke up, "I have an idea regarding Kiev. Do you think he could follow instructions and signals from Namid? Namid's a mountain wyvern, you see, and they communicate with each other a lot and can bellow pretty loudly when they want to send a message to another wyvern. If Kiev could learn to listen for Namid's signals, I could fly with both of them without many problems." He hadn't tried this tactic before, but it made sense to him.

"Hmmmmm," Tessa listened closely as Charlotte filled her in on the situation. It was all rather surprising, almost shocking, and it occurred to her that if she was having a hard time getting a handle on this, just what must the princess be feeling? The two of them had been quite close, and though she hadn't seen Charlotte cry over his death, the valkyrie was sure it had happened. For him to be alive again, not the demon that had betrayed them and cut them all down, or that he had died before it took his place... to have the painful acceptance of that reality wiped out and replaced with a different sort of betrayal, that he was the son of her parents' killer and sworn enemy.

Tessa tried to think of an analogy from her life that might make sense. It would almost be like... like if they were to run into Sir Dustin in town here, find that not only had he succesfully escaped the raid on the monastery (which he most certainly had, she reassured herself), not only that they had rebuilt it already, but on top of that him confessing that he was actually her father who had sent her away in the first place? That... no that would just be weird. She frowned slightly at this, before breaking out of the fantasy. She couldn't even come up with anything close to compare, and it was no worth continuing to try.

"I'm so... I don't know what to say," Tessa managed at last, before clasping the other girl in a tight embrace. "Mysterious are Her ways indeed, but Lady's blessings be upon you both now. I... had rather thought her power harder to reach these days, and... for something of this magnitude... Just..." A moment of speechlessness came over her. What else could she possibly say?

Manse

"Kiev's ... not going to know exactly what he's supposed to be doing unless someone shows him ... even then he's always been one to wait for people to initiate things, feeding, mounting, ectera." Irina explained with a frown. Her training methods much like Miranda's training methods, were probably coming back to bite them in the ass, though mostly just her. "I mean, if there's still some time left, we could test it, but otherwise someone should ride him. I just figured Iso since he's done it before." she added with a shrug.

Lev and Stephanie had somewhat pulled ahead of the group and were almost outside.

Not Manse

"The most important advice I can give you is not to panic. When you're scared, some of the dumbest maneuvers in the world will start to make sense to you," Viveka explained, holding up a finger for some kind of emphasis. "Second, don't ever get isolated from the group in the middle of a skirmish or a large battle, either of which we're probably heading into. If you do get separated somehow, try to stay evasive until you can get back to a large group. Don't be afraid to call for a healer if you're injured. That aside, the only thing I know about fighting demons is that some of them are best left to the magic users ..." Viveka thought back to her first encounter with Shanice which claimed Lucille's life, and the later bout with Petros that cost her a spear.

"Alright. It might be fun to see if it works sometime later, then," Tas replied, curious about how Kiev would respond to mountain wyvern calls.

"Strongholding three key areas, all the most likely to have troops remaining, and then using them to create a stranglehold on the horde as they flood inward and pincer them like a guillotine." Damian replied, with a contemplative look.

"It should work in theory... I suppose that's all we know."

Making her way out to the aeries, Aiya was still working on her own mental state. It was so much to take in, but she knew she had to be calm when she reached Ulfhrahn, so taking a deep breath, she readied herself, before entering the aerie.

Charlotte

Charlotte was a little surprised at Tessa's sudden embrace, but she returned it. "It is a lot to get used to at first- but Eric isn't our enemy. I know that much," Charlotte said confidently.

Tristan

"Don't panic and try not to die? Sounds easy enough, but it's probably easier said than done. And it's pretty easy to say such things, I just did it now. All I know about demon varieties are from the stories- which probably isn't all that helpful. The stories say people like Harold and Jace were great and virtuous warriors, which means you really can't believe much of what they have to say," Tristan said to Viveka.

Manse

Lev and Stephanie inevitably beat the Zaftran royals to the entrance and made it out to Ixion by the time they had reached the front door. While they dealt with the warping matter, Irina headed over to the wyverns. "Okay ... I guess we should head over to the Halton embassy, now."

"Once Iris gets her wyvern." Iso pointed out, though part of him regretted doing so since the chance of an Ixion encounter was rising the longer they lingered there.

OoC: I can amend this to get everyone over to the Halton embassy, or just wait for actual replies. I'll be on IRC, so lemme know which is preferred.

Not Manse

"Hahah, yeah, lots of stories get completely screwed up, but I am glad they're actually willing to fight and not just go hide somewhere. I'm worried they might be a little rusty, though. The crimsons beat Percival by themselves earlier in the year and I don't care how much training he's been doing, that's just pathetic. Don't get me wrong, the crimsons are powerful, but from what I heard, it wasn't much of a fight ... ... I wish the demons were that much of a let down." she added, more seriously.

Tas figured he should probably just wait on Namid, so he informed the others as such. "I'll just circle above and join your formation when you head over there," he told them as he climbed onto Namid's back, though of course he'd wait for confirmation on the action before taking it.

"From what I hear most demons aren't too tough, but there tend to be an awful lot of them. The 'elites' those- that's what really causes the damage. One of them burned my Aunt Brunhilde's eye right of her skull, too much for any healer to fix. She doesn't just wear the eyepatch to try and look more intimidating you know," Tristan added in an attempt to lighten the mood.

Edited by -Cynthia-

"Weeeell, if somebody absolutely must be riding him... perhaps I should take that duty," Iris injected somewhat hesitantly, "Drake has had the full complement of basic training, and while retrieval of his rider would be the primary priority, I'm sure that given commands seeking out others who are incapacitated wouldn't be infeasible. "

The lieutenant wasn't quite sure exactly that this was the best of ideas, but perhaps it was a way to help establish some more positive rapport with the royal siblings. If the untrained beast were to be completely unruly, she could always attempt to call to her own with a set of whistle commands and make a trade off if she could not continue to guarantee either her safety or her charges' while on Kiev. At the worst, she'd have to just tether it somewhere and proceed on foot, but Isotov would be without a mount as well so there wouldn't be unreasonable disadvantage. Of course abandoning the princess's pet in the middle of a battle like that would arise its own difficulties, but... well, take things as they come, yes?

"At any rate, yes, certainly I do need to go retrieve him from the aerie, considering we're not likely to return. It shan't take but moments. I'll catch back up to you on the way to the Halton Embassy. Let me know what your decision will be then, so I can... prepare myself if need be."

Adena grinned. "Ah! Thank you! I will be so much more comfortable with someone protecting me." She did a double take at the next part of Alex's comment. "Wait, prince? Prince who? Just how many royals are with this group? I've already met Princess Charlotte. And now you're saying there are more?" She was stunned that so many important people were being allowed to just run around unchecked into such dangerous situations. How... how is that allowed? At least two royals with the Crimson group?

Formerly Royal Bodyguard

"Yes, Prince Tristan of Septimus is the man I was referring to," Alex said, as she looked vaguely in the direction of the prince. He was talking to Captain Viveka, so maybe she wouldn't have to address her lords' protection. "There are a few others, but I am not necessarily sure if they want me to be going around telling everyone who they are. It certainly is unusual, but, well, this is not anywhere near a regular military squad. Regardless, they'll fight, and we'll fight to keep them and everyone else safe. I hope you're ready for this."

Adena bristled a little at the implication that she wouldn't be useful in the fight. "I've fought before. And I've trained for most of my life at TISME. I'll do my job and I'll do it well. I just found it odd that so many royals were allowed to put themselves in harms way like this."

Unsure of what to do with his time, and not wanting to offend anyone else by accident, Hainam decided to pull off a skill he had mastered hunting...and during his days watching over livestock for the tribe.

Leaning on a wall, Hainam propped his elbow to hold onto his chin while it was supported by the wall behind him. Then slowly, he closed his eyes and performed his art of energy conservation. Experience proved to him that this pose has always been successful at making him appear deep in taught, and years of practice allowed him to subconsciously support himself in that position for hours on hand. It also worked when he did not want to be noticed by predator or prey in the wilderness for his inhumanly still figure barely registered to most living things. even more so when they are distracted.

Heading Back

"Alright then," Irina agreed. Apparently she still had a couple of minutes to mull it over, so she mounted Nikita and motioned for Iso to fly on Kiev, something he was a bit reluctant to do a second time. "Come on."

"Irina, I ... could just ride with you like I normally do."

"I don't think so. Nikita's a lot pickier about people than Kiev is, I'm starting to notice. It's safer for you to ride Kiev until she's okay with you riding with me as a passenger."

"How would you even know she's not okay with me riding as a passenger right now? Did you test this or something?" he inquired as he stepped closer. Nikita let out a low growl as he came into what he perceived as her 'biting range', and he immediately froze before taking a step back. "Uh ..."

"It's just a feeling I had. And that seems to be the proof. Come on, Iso, just ride Kiev to the embassy. I think I'll have Iris ride him anyway so you can do your 'on foot' thing and that should work out just fine."

"Why is Kiev so docile, anyway?"

"I don't know, but we used to get picked on for it. Okay, let's go."

And with that, Iso carefully mounted Kiev and the Zaftran royals took off and began heading back to the Halton embassy.

Filler

"Mmm the one I fought was pretty tough. I lost a perfectly good lance over it and had to borrow Jasmine's for awhile. I got a new primary at the embassy, but it's been rough going ever since that battle." Viveka replied, thinking back once again to the battle against Petros. She was a little unnerved to hear about the specifics of Brunhilde's injury, but Tristan seemed to mention it for reasons far removed from putting a damper on things, so she smiled in mild amusement rather than reacting on instinct. "Well she still seems like a pretty tough woman. I wish she was there to help us fight the demons before this whole summit thing. We might have actually managed to kill more than one of them."

Halton Embassy

The Zaftrans arrived in no time at all(literally within the same post). Iso immediately landed Kiev at the edge of the gathering group, opposite the embassy. Irina didn't, however, and flew a bit closer to the building before landing. She didn't spot Ulfhrahn with the rest of the group yet, but she did see Damian down there which meant she probably wasn't ready yet. Rather than running off on an Aiya chase without any information, she hopped off of Nikita and approached Damian first. "Hey, is Aiya ready yet? We're supposed to be leaving soon."

Edited by Phoenix