How do you put your data into a patch?

HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I will say it in a simplistic way which works with any patching format, be it .IPS, .UPS, .JFP, xDelta and stuff.

You need a clean version of the file you want to create a patch of, say a original unmodified version of the FE rom you are hacking, and the modified version, the one you effectively changed. That is because as you most likely know a patch is but a list of differences in between a original file and a modified one, so this is why you have to feed the program both of those.

Select the option create patch, or generate patch, or anything similar, instead of apply patch. Once the program of your choice requests you to provide the original, unmodified, clean, or any term it picks, version of the rom, do so. When it asks you to provide the changed, modified, hacked, edited or any similar terms, also do so. When it asks which name you want to save your patch as, define a name and a path like you would to any file. When it writes in your screen "Process successful!" or anything like that, jump off your seat and celebrate like a boss. :3

This is as generalist as possible, every other program might have it's own way of working with the input/output part, but most patchers are so simple that won't be an issue. Plus the ultimate tutorial does handle the specifics of some of the most used formats, so I don't think it will be any issue at all, for any doubts check the ultimate tutorial. :)

Edited by Ryrumeli

I'm going to indulge my passion for being an angry loon for a moment.

bgkt.png

bgkd.png

bgkj.png

THIS ISN'T EVEN LOOKING IT UP IN SOME OBSCURE DOC THIS IS SPENDING THIRTY SECONDS ACTUALLY LOOKING AT THE DAMN APPLICATION YOU'RE ASKING ABOUT

Edited by Kam

Yeah, you're not trying hard enough to do this. Jubby's post answers it fine IMO.

http://www.feshrine.net/ultimatetutorial/

Chapters 67-70 teach different methods of patching. For GBA hacks, the most commonly used one is UPS patching. Read it and follow it if you can't figure out the program on your own.

I'm going to indulge my passion for being an angry loon for a moment.

bgkt.png

bgkd.png

bgkj.png

THIS ISN'T EVEN LOOKING IT UP IN SOME OBSCURE DOC THIS IS SPENDING THIRTY SECONDS ACTUALLY LOOKING AT THE DAMN APPLICATION YOU'RE ASKING ABOUT

Cam... you ARE turning into Hex/Xeld...

But in all seriousness... opening a patching application... seems like the instructions don't even need a readme.

Most if not all patchers have the "Create a patch" that stat to browse for the original unmodified file, your modified file, and then the name you want to save your patch as.

Hex would have zoomed in on the target and left it as an exercise to the reader to figure out what the button does.

He also probably would not have written so many words in caps lock consecutively if he even bothered to waste his precious time on this individual like so in the first place.

I have no idea who the fuck Xeld is but maybe he would do that.