Christopher Hitchens is dead

He used to be a leftist blowhard and then became a neocon blowhard.

Now now, he never became a neocon ANYTHING, and he wasn't really a blowhard.

What he was, however, was incredibly good at arguing. Whether you agree with him or not you do have to really respect his abilities.

Edited by Defeatist Elitist

Now now, he never became a neocon ANYTHING, and he wasn't really a blowhard.

From what I've seen of him, he's spent most of his later years continuously defending the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"Since 2001, neoconservatism has been associated with democracy promotion, that is with assisting movements for democracy, in some cases by economic sanctions or military action."

Since Hitchens was a pretty solid supporter of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, it seems clear to me that he is a neoconservative, even if he's not associated with other conservative ideas. Tony Blair was a neoconservative even if he was also a Labour politician.

What he was, however, was incredibly good at arguing. Whether you agree with him or not you do have to really respect his abilities.

Arguing, while fun, is not really a useful or productive activity. I don't think I have to respect someone who's extremely good at arguing, any more than I need to respect someone who's good at playing Starcraft.

Edited by Anouleth

Arguing, while fun, is not really a useful or productive activity. I don't think I have to respect someone who's extremely good at arguing, any more than I need to respect someone who's good at playing Starcraft.

***Hextator angrily summons Utsuho_Reiuji and perches upon her shoulder patiently as he waits for your punishment

From what I've seen of him, he's spent most of his later years continuously defending the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"Since 2001, neoconservatism has been associated with democracy promotion, that is with assisting movements for democracy, in some cases by economic sanctions or military action."

Since Hitchens was a pretty solid supporter of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, it seems clear to me that he is a neoconservative, even if he's not associated with other conservative ideas. Tony Blair was a neoconservative even if he was also a Labour politician.

Then you have seen very little of him. He does defend the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, that is certainly true, but he does a hell of a lot of other things, and defining him entirely by that one issue is rather shortsighted. However, if you want to talk about what he did spend most of his later years talking about, it would almost undoubtedly be Athiesm/Antithiesm.

I fail to see how arguing about actual important issues is inherently unproductive. He's also an excellent writer and just an all around clever guy.

Edited by Defeatist Elitist

shortsighted*

See when you're a trite FUCK you misspell shit because you don't know what you're actually saying.

Like fuckheads that type or write or SAY for gods' sakes "could of".

Edited by Obviam

shortsighted*

See when you're a trite FUCK you misspell shit because you don't know what you're actually saying.

Like fuckheads that type or write or SAY for gods' sakes "could of".

yo dawg, typoes happen

typos*

it really should be typo's, but definitely not typoes. even firefox underlines it

Motherfucker, I use Firefox and it didn't underline that shit.

Though actually, now that I test, I think my Firefox has stopped checking spelling. Xagsgjhkl

Yeah, it definitely has.