charcters that might go in the new super smash bros

xblade

Did you read what I just said? Ike is a default character and they don't replace them. Also, why would adding a new character force another one off the list? Sure, Sakurai said that the roster won't be expanded much, but he could still expand it a little.

I also think Fire Emblem deserves more representation. Three characters would be better for it, as well as a lot more trophies and stickers. There are so few for the series right now. I'm not saying it needs as much attention as, say, Mario and Zelda, but it deserves more than what it already has.

How can I read what you say? :awesome:

Fire Emblem may be important to us fans, but it certainly is not the most popular franchise in brawl. How does Ike being a default character save him in any way? Again, with a limited character roster, it only makes sense to keep Marth as the staple of the series, and add Krom.

I completely agree, three FE characters in SSB would be great, and I mainly play as Ike, so it's not like I want him gone. I'm just saying the odds are against his favor. Also, having Marth, Krom, and Ike would make it that much more difficult to individualize. I'd hate to see Krom become some Ike clone, just as Roy was for Marth.

Fire Emblem deserves a lot more representation. Having a good axe, lance, bow, magic, or even laguz fighter would really change things up in brawl. But many series deserve spots in brawl, and the only franchises that get 3+ characters are the more mainstream: Kirby, Mario, LoZ, etc.

Of course, I could turn out wrong in my predictions. Still, I honestly don't believe Ike's coming back. There's very little you can do to persuade me otherwise.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just said, DEFAULT CHARACTERS DON'T GET REMOVED. If Marth is such a staple, why hasn't he been made a default character yet? I honestly think he has a higher chance of being removed than Ike does because he's still only unlockable. Though, since Marth HAS been in two games so far and has four FE games, that does still give him a pretty good chance of returning.

Ike is very popular outside of Japan. He's completely different than Marth in Brawl. He has main roles in two games, more than any other lord aside from Marth. Thus, he's more important to the series than those other lords, and really should stay. It's why he was made a default character.

And no, Ike was not added for promotional reasons. Otherwise, he would've been unlockable just like Roy was. Plus, Ike's games were already out, with PoR having been out for a good while (and if they wanted to more so promote RD, which released like right before Brawl, they'd have used Ike's RD design instead of PoR). Roy's game wasn't, like I said. And Roy is unpopular as well, and not just because he was a Marth clone. You people still aren't getting the basic point here.

I am predicting Ike, Marth, and Krom for SSB4 and there's nothing you can do to persuade ME otherwise.

Hey, to be honest, I used to be afraid Ike wouldn't return either. But then someone reminded me that Ike is a default character and that they have never been removed. That got my hopes up.

Edited by Anacybele

Marth has main roles in 4 games + kind of a role in 13 + he's the ancestor of the main character of 13 + he's EXTREMELY popular in Japan. Mystery of the Emblem is Japan's favorite FE game. Marth is not getting removed; arguing the fact that he's unlockable means that Luigi is likely to be removed too.

I don't know where people are getting "x character will be removed" from, considering the only characters to have ever really been removed are like Roy, Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, and Pichu. And 3 of those characters were clones. In other words, we only have like 2 games 4 characters (3 completely redundant, one with the most retarded moves ever) to base patterns of removal off of.

Edited by Lord Raven

I didn't mean that Marth was THAT likely to be removed. Just more likely than Ike, yet he still has a high chance of staying as you say. And that only unlockable characters have been removed. To start removing default characters now would be stupid, imo. However, I didn't know that Marth was THAT popular, nor that one of his games was that popular. Marth will definitely stay, yeah, as will Ike.

Ike also has a descendant in Awakening, though he's not a very important character. He traveled to Iris according to Krom. He is still important enough to the series and popular enough to have a high chance of staying.

Ike fans mustn't give up so easily.

I think it is safe to assume that there will be equal to or less characters than in Brawl, because a giant roster would make it difficult to make each character individualized, and degrade the quality of the game.

You should play or watch more fighting games.

They can come up with unique move sets for each character but that takes time and money.

That's not to say they won't but at the same time they already have existing move sets for the characters and whether or not they would like to change that is up to whoever is in charge or something like that.

I've never even heard of that game myself. xP

You know what? I just thought of a neat idea. Since SSB4 is being made for both the Wii U and the 3DS, perhaps one of the two will have Ike and Marth only and the other will have not just them, but also Krom. But, when the two are linked together, you can bring Krom over to the game that doesn't have him.

This is like Mario Golf 64 and Mario Golf for Gameboy. The Gameboy version had characters not present in the N64 version, but when the two were linked up, you could bring them over from the Gameboy version. It'd be so cool if you could link both versions of SSB4 in the same way to bring content over to both games that isn't present in them by default. :D

I've never even heard of that game myself. xP

You know what? I just thought of a neat idea. Since SSB4 is being made for both the Wii U and the 3DS, perhaps one of the two will have Ike and Marth only and the other will have not just them, but also Krom. But, when the two are linked together, you can bring Krom over to the game that doesn't have him.

This is like Mario Golf 64 and Mario Golf for Gameboy. The Gameboy version had characters not present in the N64 version, but when the two were linked up, you could bring them over from the Gameboy version. It'd be so cool if you could link both versions of SSB4 in the same way to bring content over to both games that isn't present in them by default. :D

Ah!!! That would be really cool! :D You could do stuff like that in Mario Tennis for the N64 and GBC too! XD

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't know it was coming out on 3ds. Maybe they're doing it MarioSonicOlympicWinterGames style, where the handheld has a plotline, like subspace (along with the regular events that you would have to unlock, or in this case, stadiums and characters) while the console focuses more on the battles and stuff?

On the Ike vs. no debate, Ike is my favorite video game character ever, but I don't think he's making it in, because Marth is the staple and Krom will popularize the next game. I don' think 3 FE would make sense because it's not as popular in the states and people want characters they know. What they should really do is make Krom the best character in the game and then everybody would play FE13 because they want to see more of him.

On the Ike vs. no debate, Ike is my favorite video game character ever, but I don't think he's making it in,

You're not a real Ike fan then. If you were, you'd not be giving up hope of seeing him return. And is no one paying attention when I say they don't remove default characters, which Ike is one of?

Ike is one of my favorite video game characters too, and I believe he will be in. I won't lose hope.

What do you mean by Ike being a default character? He's only appeared in a single game so far. Just that he isn't an unlockable doesn't mean anything - while Nintendo hasn't felt the need to remove non-unlockable characters to date doesn't mean that they couldn't or shouldn't. It's all up to the game designers to do pretty much anything they want in regards to the roster, and I believe that the designers feel that Ike should be axed from the roster. Ike isn't a major popular Nintendo character people expect to definitely reappear unlike Mario or Link.

I don't really think that you made any valid bases on your opinions, other than telling us how big of an Ike fan you are.

Edited by Time to change my name :D

What do you mean by Ike being a default character?

I mean he's not unlockable like Marth is. You're able to play as Ike from the beginning. You don't need to do squat to be able to use him.

He's only appeared in a single game so far. Just that he isn't an unlockable doesn't mean anything - while Nintendo hasn't felt the need to remove non-unlockable characters to date doesn't mean that they couldn't or shouldn't. It's all up to the game designers to do pretty much anything they want in regards to the roster, and I believe that the designers feel that Ike should be axed from the roster. Ike isn't a major popular Nintendo character people expect to definitely reappear unlike Mario or Link.

And just because Roy was removed doesn't mean Ike should be. And there are other non-major popular characters in Melee that stayed for Brawl. Like Ness, Mr. Game and Watch, etc. I hadn't even heard of them before playing Smash Bros.

I don't really think that you made any valid bases on your opinions, other than telling us how big of an Ike fan you are.

And all I've gotten from people on why Ike should be kicked out is that "oh, Roy was removed, so Ike will be too!"

And for the record, evidence was found that Roy was originally going to be included in Brawl alongside Ike and Marth. Some of his game data was found in there.

Edited by Anacybele

I think Ike is a fantastic character in Brawl but I could easily see him being replaced by Krom. They both have Aether and Krom is more recent, and I feel it's too much to hope that a smaller series like Fire Emblem will have more than 2 representatives. Just because he's on the roster by default doesn't mean that Ike has a better chance of staying on the roster than say, Luigi, Jigglypuff, Ness, or Marth, who have all been unlockables even though we know they're in the game.

Jigglypuff was always in the game because of her anime appearances, but it would be weird to get rid of the Puff even as Pokemon has moved on. She was unbelievably broken in Melee, kind of like a lethal joke character. I can't think of any character who could take over the fighting style, even in the Pokemonverse.

I also hope Toon Link is kept. There's a lot of hate for Toon Link but he's really just a redesign of Young Link from Melee, and he's way more fun to play than Link. He's the most aerial of the swordsmen and plays a great zone game as well. I feel like it's Link who should change, to accommodate the new items from Skyward Sword. Instead of the boomerang, adult Link could have the whip or the gust billow. I really think in the future the gap between the two characters could grow to be quite great, though the difference is already very pronounced compared to Link vs Young Link in Melee.

I want a complete overhaul of Ganondorf. He needs to stop having any similarities to Captain Falcon whatsoever. He should be shooting magic beams and stuff but he's not. Though there are already a lot of sword users in the game, he should probably get some swords anyway.

A friend of mine suggested cutting Sheik from the game... and bringing in Impa as a replacement. Zelda would be given a new down+B and Impa would use all of Sheik's moves. Impa from Skyward Sword is seriously cool and I would love to have her as a playable character, but it might just be that Sheik will look like Impa instead.

I really want to see Lloyd Irving! I think he'd fit in great with the cast and he's the best candidate for a Namco character cameo.

Falco or Wolf should be axed. There isn't really a need for 3 Star Fox characters and Fox is obviously going to make the cut every time.

I didn't mean Ike had a better chance of staying than people like Luigi or Marth or Ness. Ness has been in the series since the beginning, of course he's staying. Luigi has as well, and Marth has been in since Melee. They're all staples. But the fact that Ike is a default character and they have never been removed automatically ups his chances of staying.

And I'm sure Krom can be unique compared to Ike. He has Falchion rather than Ragnell, so he'd be faster and lighter (though perhaps not as much so as Marth. Ike would be heavyweight, Krom middleweight, and Marth lightweight), and Krom can share Aether with Ike. Ike and Marth already share Counter, so I don't see the harm in that. Krom would just have other skills as his other moves. I'm sure he's got some possibilites.

If I want any characters from Skyward Sword to be in, it's Ghirahim! He'd be so fun to play as!

Edited by Anacybele

• 5 months later...

I want the FE characters to stay and add news ones if possible. Chrom could be like Ike because they're powerful but different move sets. I hate characters of the same series with same move sets.

I can see DLC for this, so maybe Ike and Roy will appear later as a DLC.

But my true hopes are Boyd and Devdanved for FE dlc and CHIBI ROBO.

Actually, Ike is probably going to stay a default character. They've never been removed.

You know what's still fun to read after all these years? "It'd be cool if character ____ was in it, they could be all like _____ and have a moveset that goes like _____"

You know what has almost never been fun to read, and invariably demands that somebody else stop having fun? "Character ____ won't be in it because _____"

It all had me actually to the point of being surprised way back when it turned out Wolf was in, I had so thoroughly banished the idea of speculation from my mind. Let us all live a little. yes I mad

Grump mode deactivating: I've always found it fun to imagine what (Little) Mac would play like. I see him as having a technical/counter-puncher [style] in his games, so I imagine he'd play a bit like a ground-based Wario: really fluid, precise movement on the ground, and attacks designed to jockey for space. (extra fanservice: make him able to attack while doing something the equivalent of wavedashing, like having him face an opponent and keep his option open while moving backward on the ground)

I can see him going a couple ways with this: his moves could be fast + strong + considerably-harder-than-average-to-punish, but generally short-ranged (making him one of the characters that need to get in to be really effective, but can seize/force an opportunity to do so, again like Wario), or (probably thanks to moving forward a lot in his moves than in having long arms, but whatever works) would make him a short-ranged character more like Marth (or a Marth-Wario hybrid), having him use generally fast + slightly-easier-but-still-difficult-to-punish + moderately-ranged + just-strong-enough-to-not-kill-too-easy-while-still-being-threatening attacks to keep an opponent where he wants them (say, a character-length away or so), and have a couple YOU DONE GOOFED moves, fast and strong enough to be scary in many situations, that he can use to punish or counter an opponent when they get sloppy.

I think it'd make sense for him to be sub-optimal, if not necessarily outright bad in the air, especially if they went and made him as good on the ground as I'd like him to be. I'd think it'd be better to accomplish this by making him less maneuverable in the air than on the ground for a change (as in relatively slow air speed, bad deceleration when trying to change directions, and so on). That doesn't mean his air attacks would have to be bad, they'd just need to have specific uses. Say, spiking/edgeguarding, maybe hitting the upper part of somebody's shield once it starts to get low, shield-breaking perhaps! attacking while turning to meet somebody approaching him from behind, and so on, as long as they're far from the best things to be trying to do at all times in a 1v1.

No matter what though, his recovery and general survivability need to own. I don't care how but vertical recovery, horizontal recovery, the way you try don't matter you ain't puttin' Mac down easy

(thinking of Wario again here, and maybe Snake: it's fine if he's interruptable and takes some licks while recovering, but he's friggin' Little Mac over here you don't get to count him out just because he's in a magnifying glass)

Edited by Rehab

you know, i understand why they would want to limit the number of characters for gameplay reasons, so i'm cool with that.

however, it would be awesome if instead of removing all the characters with duplicate movesets, they would be available as different skins. like for example, for Marth they could add an unlockable skin for Lucina. She would have the exact same moveset and would behave identically to Marth, just the model would look differently. They could also have the same for Chrom/Ike, Fox/Falco/Wolf, Peach/Daisy, Mario/Dr Mario, some more characters from F-Zero (not familiar with the series), etc etc.

like that, they could satisfy the people who want more characters available, it would be easier to balance the game, and everyone is happy!

heck, the game is a celebration of all the successful Nintendo franchises, i'm sure it wouldn't hurt to acknowledge them properly

Edited by Liz

Ray 01 from Custom Robo, please, no more assist trophy status. Also, I expect a 6th gen Pokemon appearing, and hopefully a return and amped up Mewtwo. As for Fire Emblem characters, I have a list, Black Knight, Hector, Levin, but rather than Chrom, I'd prefer Lucina. Also, costume changes rather than just palette swaps, Yarn Kirby and Yoshi, Dr. Mario for Mario, and if they keep Snake, Big Boss and Old Snake costumes. I'm sure everyone wants Megaman, I'll agree there too, and Ridley, just so there is another Metroid character. Isaac from Golden Sun, even though I've never played any of the series, I want to see more Nintendo franchises I'm unfamiliar with. I also have a stage request, falling Tetris blocks, they had the Tetris song in Brawl, now bring it up a notch.

Edited by Knight

you know, i understand why they would want to limit the number of characters for gameplay reasons, so i'm cool with that.

however, it would be awesome if instead of removing all the characters with duplicate movesets, they would be available as different skins. like for example, for Marth they could add an unlockable skin for Lucina. She would have the exact same moveset and would behave identically to Marth, just the model would look differently. They could also have the same for Chrom/Ike, Fox/Falco/Wolf, Peach/Daisy, Mario/Dr Mario, some more characters from F-Zero (not familiar with the series), etc etc.

like that, they could satisfy the people who want more characters available, it would be easier to balance the game, and everyone is happy!

I wouldn't be happy if they did this. Lucina could be a costume for Marth, that I'll agree with, but the others? The only thing Chrom has in common with Ike is Aether and design concept (tattered cape, single shoulder guard, heck, the tunic even lacks a sleeve, though Ike's was ripped instead of intentionally left out), otherwise, they are different characters that could have very different abilities. And Fox, Falco, and Wolf are all completely different from one another too. They have similar movesets, but I'm sure that could be fixed by changing them up a bit.

Daisy is already a Peach costume, but I'd prefer her to be a separate character. Unfortunately, that's not likely to happen... Dr. Mario is a good costume for Mario though.

Honestly, I especially think it would be stupid to reduce Ike to a mere costume after he was a default playable character and popular in Brawl.

The most likely characters who have a chance of disappearing are: Lucario, Wolf, Ike, Link Cartoon, Pokemon Trainer.

The ones who CAN disappear, even if it seems unlikely: Jigglypuff, Ganondorf (keep Ghirahim's arrival in mind, even if I'd prefer him to be a boss in the story mode), Snake and Sonic, Sheik.

Nintendo won't take the others out of the cast, I'm 95% sure of it.

The characters mentioned up above don't really matter to me, except Ganon, Sheik and Ike. And I totally support your ranting about Ike, Anacybele.

The most likely characters who have a chance of disappearing are: Lucario, Wolf, Ike, Link Cartoon, Pokemon Trainer.

The ones who CAN disappear, even if it seems unlikely: Jigglypuff, Ganondorf (keep Ghirahim's arrival in mind, even if I'd prefer him to be a boss in the story mode), Snake and Sonic, Sheik.

Nintendo won't take the others out of the cast, I'm 95% sure of it.

The characters mentioned up above don't really matter to me, except Ganon, Sheik and Ike. And I totally support your ranting about Ike, Anacybele.

I'd cry if they took Snake out, even though he's so out of place in the game. I hope they keep Pokemon trainer.