Sprite Skin Tone Resource

Dr.Sholes

These are some custom skin tones that are compatible with FE8 colors. Feel free to use them for whatever and because of the nature of them credit/permission isn't necessary. Any critique or advice for more skin tones or changes would be appreciated. Enjoy.

Compilation1.png

Yes, he did. This has more tones and the ones that are for the same type of tone are slightly different. So people really could use either if they wanted to, whatever they prefer or fits their needs.

Yes, they're slightly different because his tones weren't taken directly from FE8. They fit better. Yours... are rather ugly and shoddy in most places. Thanks for trying to help, but all this'll do is confuse new spriters into thinking that the colors you're providing are the ones they should use.

Several of yours are also redundant and could pass as the same stuff; especially with your lighter tones. And good lord, the color contrast is all over the place.

Eh, whatever. Gives people more choices. I had already said my skin set was open-source, so meh.

Edited by The Blind Archer

Yes, they're slightly different because his tones weren't taken directly from FE8. They fit better. Yours... are rather ugly and shoddy in most places. Thanks for trying to help, but all this'll do is confuse new spriters into thinking that the colors you're providing are the ones they should use.

Mine aren't, unless you're talking about TBA's then that was my mistake. Also new spriters could use whatever they skin tones they want to, this just gives them a larger variety of what's ready for use quickly. If the spriter in need of a skin tone feels mine are ugly and TBA's are better then he'll probably use TBA's. If not it's their decision.

And good lord, the color contrast is all over the place.

The saturation too, Holy shit.

I don't think Ephidel and Limstella's hair is that color... isn't it supposed to be ebony?

Not to mention that some of them are redundant. I personally use FE8 skin tones as a base and darken/lighten when necessary.

Yes, they may need improvement but tearing the creator apart like a pack of rabid, starving wolves won't help him improve much.

I understand we don't want to confuse new spriters but we also don't want to send them back where they came from, never to try spriting ever again.

As for skin tone work, I can recommend this, check all of the GBA games to see what color palettes exist and compile them from there. As for creating new tones I've no advice on the matter.

Yes, they may need improvement but tearing the creator apart like a pack of rabid, starving wolves won't help him improve much.

I understand we don't want to confuse new spriters but we also don't want to send them back where they came from, never to try spriting ever again.

As for skin tone work, I can recommend this, check all of the GBA games to see what color palettes exist and compile them from there. As for creating new tones I've no advice on the matter.

Honestly, I put this out if anyone wants to use it. If no one does it's whatever, I'm not going to stop spriting or mapping and I don't think anyone was trying to tear me down, except Camtech tongue.gif. I do appreciate it, though.smile.gif

because we all know that my job is to ruin incompetent hackers at every turn that isn't hacking-related

Just because I personally have a low opinion of your competence (take that as an insult if you will) doesn't make me any more likely to knock something I think is bad.