When do I promote in Hard mode?

BBHood217

I learned a few things after finishing an EHM run:

1. Exp gains become very small at higher levels.

2. No one was level 20 among my Final team.

3. My Exp rank was a pathetic 1 star.

4. Arena enemies hurt. A lot. Even with Ninis' Grace.

It's evident that unlike in Normal mode, leveling to 20 is hard and possibly even wasteful. So I ask, when do I promote in Hard mode? 15? 10?

Maybe you should try avoiding arena abuse, limit your team to the units you'll use and you'll be alright without arena abusing. You should wait and promote characters at level 15~ if you see they are going well.

Units like Raven can keep on going up to Lv20 just because they never run out of steam. Oswin as well, if you don't care much for movement, keep him unpromoted for as long as possible.

The healers are quite awkward. If you are trying to raise your EXP rank, keeping them unpromoted and spamming using their staves is a good EXP boost. However, if promoted, they get extra EXP from battles compared to other promoted units, just as a Thief does. It's probably best to not promote a healer until you feel you really need them to defend themselves better.

Canas has crazy promotion gains. +4 AS on promotion. Not many people leave Canas unpromoted for a very long time, so maybe you shouldn't either, assuming you use him.

If you're using the Lords, they can easily get to Lv20 before they get the chance to promote.

And yeah, avoid the arena. Especially if you are not using an emulator and savestates. That can get frustrating, otherwise.

Edited by Raven

I got all my primary units to level 20 before premoting in HHM (3 lords, raven, lucius, priscilla, sain, fiora, rath, wil, Matthew) with minimal arena abuse as it was a savestateless run. Made some of the low 20s chapters a bitch, but whatever, it made later chapters easier.

Edited by deranger

Promote Lucius if you're using him on the desert chapter regardless of level as long as over 10

Then start staffspamming like crazy for best results

But yeah if you're not going for ranks promote whenever, as 20 is pretty wasteful. It's pretty hard to get everyone to 20/20 in HM without going superslow due to far less exp esp. after promotion.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Experience in Hard Mode sucks, no matter how you play it.

If you really care about getting 5 stars in Experience, or even just getting more than 2, I suggest getting a 5-star ranking early on and keeping it throughout the game. If it ever dips to 4 or 3, it will never go back up.

The best way to keep your experience ranking high in Hard Mode is to use EVERYBODY. If you make it a point to deploy the character with the lowest level every chapter and make sure that character gets plenty of combat experience, it shouldn't be too hard to do that. (On averaege, your entire force will be the same level as that of your opponent, so you won't suffer as much of a penalty for being a much higher level.) The battles will be that much harder, but like I said, it's hard no matter how you play it.

I like to designate a "boss killer" as well, someone deployed specifically to strike the killing blow on the boss. This doesn't really matter until you start fighting promoted bosses, but Marcus is a good guy for this job if you don't want experience in excess of 100 to be wasted.

I suggest not promoting anybody until they're level 19 or 20, because they'll get much less experience if you promote them earlier than that. Promoting Serra and Priscilla for the extra combat experience they gain could help you, but you can wait until chapter 25 or so to do that.

As for nobody in your final team being level 20... I assume you mean 20 promoted, and please correct me if I'm wrong. Level 20/10 or even 20/5 is quite sufficient to defeat any of the enemies in the final chapter, in my experience.

If you haven't even had the chance to promote anybody in your final team, then that's a bit odd.

Edited by Paper Jam

I learned a few things after finishing an EHM run:

1. Exp gains become very small at higher levels.

2. No one was level 20 among my Final team.

3. My Exp rank was a pathetic 1 star.

4. Arena enemies hurt. A lot. Even with Ninis' Grace.

It's evident that unlike in Normal mode, leveling to 20 is hard and possibly even wasteful. So I ask, when do I promote in Hard mode? 15? 10?

Um, why does any of this mean that you should promote earlier? If you have an issue with exp gain, you should promote later since promotion slows down your rate of EXP gain.

No, everyone was promoted at level 20 in my Final team. Took a while longer to get there. I meant that afterwards, they didn't hit level 20 like in the Normal runs.

That's because you get much less experience for defeating enemies of lower level than yourself in Hard mode than in Normal mode. http://serenesforest.net/fe7/calc.html has more details if you like math.

If you don't like math, suffice it to say that there is an experience penalty that is modified by a "Mode coefficient," which only kicks in on Normal mode.

No enemy really gives your level 20/15 and higher units lots of experience on Hard mode (except a few bosses, but so few as to be trivial regarding your query), so I'm afraid you can't get your team up to level 20/20 on Hard Mode.

That's because you get much less experience for defeating enemies of lower level than yourself in Hard mode than in Normal mode. http://serenesforest.net/fe7/calc.html has more details if you like math.

If you don't like math, suffice it to say that there is an experience penalty that is modified by a "Mode coefficient," which only kicks in on Normal mode.

No enemy really gives your level 20/15 and higher units lots of experience on Hard mode (except a few bosses, but so few as to be trivial regarding your query), so I'm afraid you can't get your team up to level 20/20 on Hard Mode.

Unless you're only using three units.