Battle for Wesnoth

Rapier

Do anyone know or heard about it? From what I know, Wesnoth is kinda underrated and unknown, and I'd never know that if some people didn't recommend it to me. Battle for Wesnoth is also a turn based strategy game with some RPG aspects (such as leveling up your unit which works like a Promotion in Fire Emblem, with different branches to choose from).

The mechanic is very different from FE, although the RNG is still (if not more) bitchy (hitting something 4 times with only 30% of chance, what's this I don't even) and every unit has their own traits, such as Strong, Resillient, Quick, Intelligent etc. At first, there are only 5 (6*) factions (Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Orcs*, Undeads and Drakes), but there are many addons that allow you to play on new maps and with new factions (the most famous factions pack being the "Ageless Era").

Well, you see, I'm TERRIBLE at explaining shit. So, it's better to look at the Official Site. =P

Edited by Rapier

At first, there are only 5 factions (Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Undeads and Drakes)

Six. You forgot to count the Northerners (a.k.a. Orcs).

Obviously, yeah, I know it, I like it, and I used to play it a ton a few years ago. I'm not playing it so much anymore, but I do occassionally show up on the public server to play with friends.

I consider myself a pretty decent player. My favourite faction (and the faction that I'm best with) are the Elves, but I'm also decent with the Loyalists, Orcs and Undeads. I'm really bad with Drakes though, and I hate facing Dwarves as opponents because I tend to be unsure how to deal with them.

Well, depending on what I'm playing I can be a bad player or a decent one. On battle maps, I suck agaisnt pretty much everyone. I'm better on Orocia, Creep War, Coliseum and these Survival maps though. =P

I love elves when they aren't RNG screwed since they're frail, but I can play with pretty much everything besides Knalgans (dwarves). Never figured out how I'm supposed to play with them (use Gryphons, try to always stay at mountains... that's all).

I've only played the single player. I tried playing online but didn't understand the interface immediately and gave up like an idiot. The campaign with the prince trying to reclaim the throne had some good stages.

I used to play long time ago, too. I liked the simplicity of gameplay, the factions being very different and having good content with interesting world and history. I lost interest after playing Delfador's Memoirs, it sucked hard.

Oh, I love the game, even though I'm not particularly good in it. Well, at the very least I'm not as bad as in the beginning when I played it like I would Fire Emblem and only used veteran units in the campaign. Since enemies in this game can at times wipe out your whole army let alone single veteran units, this wasn't a very effective strategy.

I can't believe it's unknown, though. I thought it was fairly known. What a shame.

Edited by BrightBow

Oh, I love the game, even though I'm not particularly good in it. Well, at the very least I'm not as bad as in the beginning when I played it like I would Fire Emblem and only used veteran units in the campaign. Since enemies in this game can at times wipe out your whole army let alone single veteran units, this wasn't a very effective strategy.

I can't believe it's unknown, though. I thought it was fairly known. What a shame.

Well, I don't know if that's just me, but I never heard anyone say about it. =P

I hardly play the Campaigns, since I'm usually making some kind of storyline by using random maps, factions and settings. Sounds crazy, but I like it. The campaigns aren't that bad imo, but they're still average (and Konrad is just like Marth).

I used to play long time ago, too. I liked the simplicity of gameplay, the factions being very different and having good content with interesting world and history. I lost interest after playing Delfador's Memoirs, it sucked hard.

Yeah, I have to say that Wesnoth got a pretty good sweetspot of "simple to learn" while maintaining possibility for more actual complexity.