Rate the Unit, FINAL DAY: Syrene

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

She did surprisingly well for me in my first (and only) FE8 draft. But that was because she got a few early strength/speed blessings that helped, and Vanessa was spectacularly screwed.

If you didn't get that Strength/Speed blessing, do you think it would've been helpful?

If you didn't get that Strength/Speed blessing, do you think it would've been helpful?

Well, I didn't really use her for combat all that much. I think she killed eggs in chapter 18. She rescue-dropped people in chapter 17 and 20. I suppose she would've been more annoying to use for combat if she hadn't had the blessing, but I mostly didn't use her for combat. Only when I couldn't avoid it. She was still reliant on silver and killers.

Well, I didn't really use her for combat all that much. I think she killed eggs in chapter 18. She rescue-dropped people in chapter 17 and 20. I suppose she would've been more annoying to use for combat if she hadn't had the blessing, but I mostly didn't use her for combat. Only when I couldn't avoid it. She was still reliant on silver and killers.

I've noticed that, too. She joins right before Silvers are purchasable, and it's not like money's tight in the main campaign. However, she doesn't have the right combination of dodginess and damage absorption, and I'm not to keen on her offense, even with Silvers.

I just hit Chapter 18, and I need to do some shopping. I'll come back with some numbers in a bit.

EDIT: Numbers time. This is just from the starting enemies.

Assuming she's using her Silver Lance, Syrene's got 12 AS, 26 MT, 107 Hit, and 36 Avo. She has 27 HP and 10 Def.

The first non-egg enemy I see is a Gargolye with 8 AS, 26 MT, 90 Hit, and 17 Avo. It has 35 HP and 11 Def.

The end result is Syrene getting 2HKO'd at the tune of 54%, while she 3HKOs the thing at 90%. If the Gargolye is wielding something lighter than a Steel Lance (one further in has an Axereaver), Syrene will fail to double. A Robe will help her greatly, but I'm pretty sure I used mine elsewhere.

Edited by eclipse

I've noticed that, too. She joins right before Silvers are purchasable, and it's not like money's tight in the main campaign. However, she doesn't have the right combination of dodginess and damage absorption, and I'm not to keen on her offense, even with Silvers.

I just hit Chapter 18, and I need to do some shopping. I'll come back with some numbers in a bit.

She was better than my screwed Vanessa, at least.

*sigh* If you REALLY want me to revise my vote then, I'll do it. I was in a rush when I was posting my first post, so you can disregard it. No need to get all riled up.

OK, Syrene...Syrene...leaving the other two pegasus knights out of this what do we have? She comes in with decent bases, a javelin, and a Silver Lance. OK. Let me split this review up into three sections: one part talking about the chapter you get her on, one on pros, and one on cons.

In Chapter 17, she's not terribly difficult to recruit, though you do need to recruit her quickly because the NPC AI is terrible at defending themselves. She does a pretty good job of fighting off the Druids that keep on spawning(as well as the Heroes and Warriors if you can provide her with a sword) so long as you have a healer near her. She's also helpful for getting the citizens for safety. While she's not ready to tackle on Lyon alone, regardless of whom she supports with or even has a support, she does a pretty good job of cleaning up the mess of units on Chapter 17.

So what's good about her? Well, she's one of the three components essential for an insta-critical, which is always handy if the attacker has a sacred twin and high attack stats. Again, her base stats aren't horrible, and her growths are fairly decent. Her stats are what you want out of a Falcoknight: fast, somewhat strong, and high RES. Coming in with an A and a C in lances and swords respectively help her get to an S rank faster. Her high movement helps her ferry people around as well as traverse the larger maps that are the 3 chapters before Endgame, especially helpful on Chapter 18 since you're rushing from Gorgon Egg to Gorgon Egg making sure they don't hatch so you can gain your 50 EXP.

So what are her downfalls? The biggest one that everyone's hit on: availability. She comes in 4 chapters before endgame, so you don't get to use her as much. That, and she's your stereotypical Falcoknight: extremely fragile, so you'll have to use some stat boosters if you want to fix that.

Having given some thought over my last vote, if it wasn't for her availability, I'd give her an 7.5/10, but because of availability issues, I'll have to give her a final rating of 6.5/10.

I do hope this is more satisfying than my initial post to you, Integrity.

Edited by Rexaura888

she is just so terrible, it's laughable. you shall be lucky if she dosen't die on the second turn. she comes waaaaayyyy to late. crappy bases and also has a incredibly boring personality. i give a 1/10 just because she has a silver lance

I do hope this is more satisfying than my initial post to you, Integrity.

I would have been happy had you just put more down as to why you gave your original score. You didn't have to bump it up. :P

But that's perfect.

Eclipse talking enough on stats afterwards that I'm overlooking her transgression.

Helios, Onmi, Gunblader, Kai, xblade, and Mekkah's troll rating are still out. I'm going to leave this open a little while longer to let them try to revise, but if they wait beyond my arbitrary time limit of undefined fuck 'em.

And she's getting a 4.5 from me, fwiw. Tallying.

Edited by Integrity