Cullum the Armor Knight

That's really just an issue of "if Armor Knights are bad then they'll be bad".

Well in Sacred Stones, Amelia is great as a General, that and Super Trainee is what everyone chooses as everyone already has enough Great Knights.

Same with Gilliam, who makes him a Great Knight?

Generals are actually pretty OP in Sacred stones, they have high stat caps and Great Shield is one of the most useful skills in the entire game.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well in Sacred Stones, Amelia is great as a General, that and Super Trainee is what everyone chooses as everyone already has enough Great Knights.

Same with Gilliam, who makes him a Great Knight?

Generals are actually pretty OP in Sacred stones, they have high stat caps and Great Shield is one of the most useful skills in the entire game.

Amelia is the worst unit in FE8. She's terrible no matter what you do with her, but General and Super Recruit are probably her worst options. I don't know of any strategic reason why anyone would make her either class, and preferences are far too volatile to expect the designers to account for. Personally, I like the possibility of having six Great Knights if I wanted to. I should try that sometime.

If I were to use Gilliam, I'd make him a Great Knight. Great Shield is next to useless; it's better than shit like Sure Shot and maybe Pierce, but its activation rate is way too low for an ability that won't matter most of the time anyway.

Since it's open mapped I guess they could have generics to replace units on the non-casual mode if they die, like if there's a challenging post game Creature Campaign sort of thing. Though they could just have the green units appear to represent the maps the players completed so you know which places you can go to use shops/armouries.

Amelia is the worst unit in FE8. She's terrible no matter what you do with her, but General and Super Recruit are probably her worst options. I don't know of any strategic reason why anyone would make her either class, and preferences are far too volatile to expect the designers to account for. Personally, I like the possibility of having six Great Knights if I wanted to. I should try that sometime.

If I were to use Gilliam, I'd make him a Great Knight. Great Shield is next to useless; it's better than shit like Sure Shot and maybe Pierce, but its activation rate is way too low for an ability that won't matter most of the time anyway.

I'm aware that the time and effort needed to level grind Amelia is rarely considered worth it, but even so General is considered her best option, especially in Creature Campaign.

Having played Fe8's creature campaign very recently I can say Great Shield has saved my butt several times from magic users and Draco Zombies.

Plus would you want another Great Knight option or a unique, more fitting promotion for Armor Knight. I imagine if Cullum for example, promoted to Halberdier he would gain a massive increase in speed and skill but no defense boost. The defense cap would also be much lower then Generals of course.

Hm, I wonder if they'll work in like FE10's generics. Could be interesting.

Hopefully this means Soldiers/Sentinels are playable and the green units aren't in NPC only classes.

I've never heard any such considerations. Shit mobility and shit cap for her best stat while having basically no advantage over other options doesn't add up to a good choice at all.

Great Shield essentially gives up to +20% Avoid. Better to have a character that can dodge or just avoid putting characters into situations where they need that 20% (at most) chance to survive.

I would rather have Armor Knights get a promotion option that vastly changes how they play compared to Generals. Great Knights could do that. Halberdiers might not. You wouldn't just need the class to lack a Def promotion gain; it would likely need a negative promotion gain as well as a considerable loss of Def growth in exchange for a lot of Spd growth in order to work. It would require rewriting the character's playstyle entirely.

Don't set yourself up for disappointment. Cavalier --> Great Knight has a negative Spd promotion gain because it has a lower Spd base than Cavalier. It has this lower base because it promotes from a different class with an even lower Spd base. Mark my words: Every promoted class in FE13 with a negative promotion gain from one unpromoted class has a different unpromoted class that can also promote into it with a positive promotion gain. For Great Knights, that unpromoted class is Knight.

Green Soldiers show up all the time. They mean nothing.

BTW, those green units on the world map are Merchants. If you look carefully, they're carrying goodie bags.

Ah, so that's what that thingy was referring to. Wonder what they'll do different from regular shops.

Edited by Othin

I've never heard any such considerations. Shit mobility and shit cap for her best stat while having basically no advantage over other options doesn't add up to a good choice at all.

Great Shield essentially gives up to +20% Avoid. Better to have a character that can dodge or just avoid putting characters into situations where they need that 20% (at most) chance to survive.

All of her promotions except Super Traine have crap speed, General gets her Great Strength and constitution.

In creature campaign boots are obtainable so movement doesn't matter in the end, making Generals with their high stat caps and Great Shield skill, the the much better choice.

I would rather have Armor Knights get a promotion option that vastly changes how they play compared to Generals. Great Knights could do that. Halberdiers might not. You wouldn't just need the class to lack a Def promotion gain; it would likely need a negative promotion gain as well as a considerable loss of Def growth in exchange for a lot of Spd growth in order to work. It would require rewriting the character's playstyle entirely.

Don't set yourself up for disappointment. Cavalier --> Great Knight has a negative Spd promotion gain because it has a lower Spd base than Cavalier. It has this lower base because it promotes from a different class with an even lower Spd base. Mark my words: Every promoted class in FE13 with a negative promotion gain from one unpromoted class has a different unpromoted class that can also promote into it with a positive promotion gain. For Great Knights, that unpromoted class is Knight.

That actually does sound interesting, but in that case I hope Cavaliers don't get Great Knight as an option, I like it best when the promotions are spread out.

Green Soldiers show up all the time. They mean nothing.

Thats true, hence why I said hopefully not NPC only. Halberdiers were a popular new class, so I think they would be included. Halberdiers weren't in the remakes of the Akaneia games, as they wouldn't really fit, playable soldiers wouldn't have added anything new like Sorcerer(who provided a heavy class set Mage) or work as a promotion for an original class.

However this is an entirely new game so I'm holding out the return of Halberdiers.

BTW, those green units on the world map are Merchants. If you look carefully, they're carrying goodie bags.

They're certainly holding Lances though, just look at the point of the weapon when they lean after Krom goes to their space.

Do you think its Anna's class?

Edited by Emperor Hardin

Cavaliers have Great Knight as a promotion; this has been confirmed.

If you're maxing everything in Creature Campaign, there's really no need to worry about details.

Edited by Othin

They're certainly holding Lances though, just look at the point of the weapon when they lean after Krom goes to their space.

Well, these guys (girls?) are traveling merchants, so having a weapon to defend yourself is always good.

When Krom's waiting on their space, the option to "Buy/Sell" appears.

Edited by VincentASM

Well, these guys (girls?) are traveling merchants, so having a weapon to defend yourself is always good.

When Krom's waiting on their space, the option to "Buy/Sell" appears.

I'm bet Twenty bucks thats Anna's class.

I think if this class exists, they'll be a playable soldier class or a similar equivalent.

So with the the new riding mechanic, I imagine Cullum and Sumia will make an awesome team. Did you see the way he jumped while in combat, maybe that thing on his back really is a jetpack.

I'm thinking that young kid with a make shift Armor and Lance will be the Recruit, I hope he can promote to Halberdier(I have high hopes)!

The cuteness of Amelia's crit animation as a Super Recruit is, uh, a valid strategic reason. Also I actually did a Great Knight only playthrough of FE8 once because I loved their animations and hoof sound effects so much.

Anna looks more like the Trickster:

W6ZKe.jpg

Edited by No. 3