Taguel and other new classes

Kyea

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, we need to remember that "Battle Cleric" is not the Japanese name for the class. It's "Battle Sister". In all instances so far in the series, the Japanese class "Sister" (spelled in katakana, just like in Battle Sister) has been translated as Cleric. So it is almost certainly accurate to refer to the class as Battle Cleric, but we must keep in mind that, without a doubt, it is female-only. There may be a corresponding or related male class, but it seems odd to me, personally.

If "cleric" is "sister" then what are Moulder and Saul called in Japanese? Even if the name is different, they both promoted into Bishops just like Elen and Natasha did (though she also got Valkyie and he got Sage). It's probably the same case here.

If "cleric" is "sister" then what are Moulder and Saul called in Japanese? Even if the name is different, they both promoted into Bishops just like Elen and Natasha did (though she also got Valkyie and he got Sage). It's probably the same case here.

Saul/Ellen: 僧侶 (Monk/Priest)

Moulder: 神官 (Priest/Shinto Priest)

Bishop (6/7/8): 司祭 (Priest)

Saul and Ellen share their class, but Moulder doesn't, oddly enough. Moulder's kanji seems like it could also be interpreted as Monk, though. It's worth noting that the FE7/8 class we know as Monk has the kanji 修道士.

So it does support the possibility of a connection. But we must look at things in context. FE8 is the only game where we've seen Priest and Sister together as separate classes, and in that game, they shared one promotion, but they did not overlap entirely. Mist's class, which actually was called Cleric in the Japanese version (クレリック = kurerikku), also had a different promotion. Meanwhile, Lucius/Artur's Monk class was different before promotion. So we have never had two separate Tier 1 healer classes that were identical both in their pre-promotion abilities and in their promotion options. Again, there was no split in FE6. This pattern that the classes are different before or after promotion makes perfect sense, as it would be pointless to make such a split. The pattern will continue; there is no doubt about that. Similarly, the Battle Monk class will not be a clone of the Battle Cleric class. They would have simply named both classes Battle Monk rather than making a split. The Priest class may share the Sage promotion, but it will not share Battle Monk, because Battle Monk will not use staffs.

The assumption that Rivera is a Bishop comes from his first appearance in the 6 minute trailer where he appears to be holding a staff.

I must ask again: What is the basis for assuming that the guy with the staff is indeed Rivera?

The Priest class may share the Sage promotion, but it will not share Battle Monk, because Battle Monk will not use staffs.

What makes you say that? All we know is they use axes.

Also, I thought Elen was called Sister, as that's what she's called in the fan translation. That's a pretty weird thing to mess up on.

I must ask again: What is the basis for assuming that the guy with the staff is indeed Rivera?

rivera.png

In this part of the 6 minute trailer, Krom is having a conversation with Rivera. On the map, he is right next to a blonde person with a staff. It seems the most logical assumption is to say that Rivera must be this blonde guy with the staff.

This class looks interesting enough. It does remind me of Manaketes but with a Laguz mix. It's possible it could just be something completely different... maybe a curse or spell? Who knows?

What makes you say that? All we know is they use axes.

Also, I thought Elen was called Sister, as that's what she's called in the fan translation. That's a pretty weird thing to mess up on.

Indeed. They use axes, and Battle Clerics use the axe/staff combination, with no other likely substantial differences. So if Battle Monks were to have the axe/staff combination as well, there would be no point in Battle Clerics existing; Clerics would just promote to Battle Monk.

I was not aware of that; only played the untranslated cartridge version. But according to pegasusknight.com, Ellen's class is indeed 僧侶, just like Saul's. Chances are the male/female split renders the classes separate enough that they were able to change the name, but yeah, it's very strange that they did that.

I was not aware of that; only played the untranslated cartridge version. But according to pegasusknight.com, Ellen's class is indeed 僧侶, just like Saul's. Chances are the male/female split renders the classes separate enough that they were able to change the name, but yeah, it's very strange that they did that.

I'm pretty sure different genders are stored as entirely separate classes, so giving them different names would be easy enough to do.

Do you think we might see Taguel(s) with several transformation options instead of just one or a few different dragon types like we've seen in the past? I would like to see them with various transformation options so they're less static than Manaketes and laguz were in battle.

I'm pretty sure different genders are stored as entirely separate classes, so giving them different names would be easy enough to do.

Do you think we might see Taguel(s) with several transformation options instead of just one or a few different dragon types like we've seen in the past? I would like to see them with various transformation options so they're less static than Manaketes and laguz were in battle.

Yeah, that's what I mean.

I've been wondering the same thing about more varied transformations for Taguels. It seems likely, and I really hope it's the case.

Saul/Ellen: 僧侶 (Monk/Priest)

Moulder: 神官 (Priest/Shinto Priest)

Bishop (6/7/8): 司祭 (Priest)

Saul and Ellen share their class, but Moulder doesn't, oddly enough. Moulder's kanji seems like it could also be interpreted as Monk, though. It's worth noting that the FE7/8 class we know as Monk has the kanji 修道士.

So it does support the possibility of a connection. But we must look at things in context. FE8 is the only game where we've seen Priest and Sister together as separate classes, and in that game, they shared one promotion, but they did not overlap entirely. Mist's class, which actually was called Cleric in the Japanese version (クレリック = kurerikku), also had a different promotion. Meanwhile, Lucius/Artur's Monk class was different before promotion. So we have never had two separate Tier 1 healer classes that were identical both in their pre-promotion abilities and in their promotion options.

Actually, FE11 and FE12 had Clerics and Curates which were practically identical (some very minor statistical differences and that was about it) and both promoted to Bishop.

I find it weird they have people turn into these... things so casually in the trailers, but don't comment on it at all. I wasn't around for pre-FE9, but surely laguz were mentioned as an important aspect of the game.

Actually, FE11 and FE12 had Clerics and Curates which were practically identical (some very minor statistical differences and that was about it) and both promoted to Bishop.

You're right, although in FE11/12, those statistical differences can actually impact how characters' stats change during Reclassing. Regardless, we must again note that that was a Tier 1 class, and in a game without branched promotions. So it's still little to no evidence that Priest would share more than one promotion choice with Cleric, and certainly no evidence that they would make Battle Cleric rather than just sticking with Battle Monk.

I find it weird they have people turn into these... things so casually in the trailers, but don't comment on it at all. I wasn't around for pre-FE9, but surely laguz were mentioned as an important aspect of the game.

Laguz had out-of-battle transformations, which hadn't been seen since FE3. In-battle transformations, like Fa, Myrrh, the FE11/12 Mamkutes, and the Taguel, don't have nearly as much impact on playstyle, and it's already been used recently anyway, just with dragons.

Edited by Othin

The beasts weren't really all that celebrated in the scans (by the magazines, at least, fans of course gawked), but they were also introduced with Kingdoms. This game hasn't introduced anything... and actually hasn't shown anything of real concreteness, even up to now. Maybe that's why the game appears so drab--nothing radically new has been shown to set the game apart :/

The assumption that Rivera is a Bishop comes from his first appearance in the 6 minute trailer where he appears to be holding a staff.

Since Liz holds a staff in her Battle Cleric form, Libera can do it too if he's a Battle Monk. So he is a Battle Monk.

Since Liz holds a staff in her Battle Cleric form, Libera can do it too if he's a Battle Monk. So he is a Battle Monk.

If Battle Monks can use staffs, which they can't.

Kind of related, anyone know what the word Taguel might mean? I initially thought it would be related to runes, like Beorc, Laguz and Mannaz (Zunanma), but it seems not.

This is just a wild guess, but it might refer to Tin-Tagel, a place associated with Arthurian legends.

Also, if the game is set in the future of Akaneia, then this new race really seems out of place. I feel that IS had to create it just in order to bring back Laguz as DLC.

This is just a wild guess, but it might refer to Tin-Tagel, a place associated with Arthurian legends.

Also, if the game is set in the future of Akaneia, then this new race really seems out of place. I feel that IS had to create it just in order to bring back Laguz as DLC.

They transform during battle; they don't function like Laguz anyway.

Also, it extends to the future of Valencia, which has always had monsters, so who knows what connection this might have to them.

If Battle Monks can use staffs, which they can't.

Are you sure they can't ? because I remember they can use staffs .. and yea about the guy with big axe in 5:38 im 100% sure it's the Hero class and in an old footage I saw one of the heroes using Sol skill.