Taguel and other new classes

Kyea

My link

So what are people's ideas about this? I'm sure many people noticed this guy show up in the last trailer too, but what exactly is he? It looks interesting to me, like some sort of laguz/transforming class.

Also feel free to discuss other new classes seen in the video.

Edited by Kyea

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to me it looks like a giant rabbit mole like thing that know how to kick like a horse

but yeah it's probably gonna be something like laguz or be substitute for manaketes ( since he transforms when attacked or when attacking)

Edited by Velth

The transformation happens as part of combat, so I'm guessing the function will be more Manakete-like, but with not-dragon stuff, whatever that is.

Kind of related, anyone know what the word Taguel might mean? I initially thought it would be related to runes, like Beorc, Laguz and Mannaz (Zunanma), but it seems not.

A bit more on topic, I have a feeling Battle Monk is the male version of Battle Cleric. What with the similar names and weapons (axes).

Kind of related, anyone know what the word Taguel might mean? I initially thought it would be related to runes, like Beorc, Laguz and Mannaz (Zunanma), but it seems not.

A bit more on topic, I have a feeling Battle Monk is the male version of Battle Cleric. What with the similar names and weapons (axes).

aside from it looking like a surname or something i have no idea :p

and yea i agree that's probably what the battle monk is

Edited by Velth

They do have similar names, but they look pretty different; Battle Monk definitely looks more physical.

I wonder if Battle Monk is even a healer at all. The FE7/8 Monk class used kanji instead of katakana, though, so it's probably not a reference to that. Odd thing is, it seems to be shown among first tier characters, not promotions.

I hate using units who are not in any way related to the human class. FE9 and 10, I avoided using any Laguz as much as I could.

But at least they looked decent when transformed into beasts. What the fuck is this? I'd kill it with fire at first sight.

Edited by Raven

They do have similar names, but they look pretty different; Battle Monk definitely looks more physical.

I wonder if Battle Monk is even a healer at all. The FE7/8 Monk class used kanji instead of katakana, though, so it's probably not a reference to that. Odd thing is, it seems to be shown among first tier characters, not promotions.

Battle Monk could be like the Warrior Monks of Japan's history.

Kind of related, anyone know what the word Taguel might mean?

It can mean 'shut up' (basically) in French :/ I also saw it come up in a JSTOR listing, but I wasn't logged in, so all I got was a useless cover page. Yvain and His Lion was the name of the source which included the word.

Not quite certain what to think of Taguel's. I didn't use Laguz much, so I doubt I'll use them very much unless they are highly versatile or something.

I'm more interested in Tricksters. Thief promotion? Something else? I am highly curious of them.

Edited by Shun One

I am liking the new names for classes they're coming up with too.

If the battle monk is a first tier and the battle cleric is a second tier, it would be logical to assume that a battle monk can turn into a battle cleric. A physical unit that gains staffs upon promotion? Sounds interesting to me. Maybe their second branch is something more akin to a warrior style.

The trickster is also looking interesting. Definitely some flashy-style swordplay going on their. Anyway, it looks like they're pretty good with a sword. But the fact that their class name is trickster? I wonder what else they can do. I'd say that sounds more in the realm of thieves too, but who knows? Maybe they have good crit because of their tricky swordplay. Maybe they're called trickster because they have some special skills.

Edited by Kyea

Again, we need to remember that "Battle Cleric" is not the Japanese name for the class. It's "Battle Sister". In all instances so far in the series, the Japanese class "Sister" (spelled in katakana, just like in Battle Sister) has been translated as Cleric. So it is almost certainly accurate to refer to the class as Battle Cleric, but we must keep in mind that, without a doubt, it is female-only. There may be a corresponding or related male class, but it seems odd to me, personally.

Again, we need to remember that "Battle Cleric" is not the Japanese name for the class. It's "Battle Sister". In all instances so far in the series, the Japanese class "Sister" (spelled in katakana, just like in Battle Sister) has been translated as Cleric. So it is almost certainly accurate to refer to the class as Battle Cleric, but we must keep in mind that, without a doubt, it is female-only. There may be a corresponding or related male class, but it seems odd to me, personally.

Oh, thanks for the info and straightening that out for me! And even though this isn't a good argument, the "battle monk" sounds fairly feminine. Also, they have long hair. So maybe they could be girl despite being called a monk? That would be kinda weird though wouldn't it?

I'm not saying I think this is true, I don't think it's that likely based off the argument above, but just putting the possibility out there.

Edited by Kyea

Oh, thanks for the info and straightening that out for me! And even though this isn't a good argument, the "battle monk" sounds fairly feminine. Also, they have long hair. So maybe they could be girl despite being called a monk? That would be kinda weird though wouldn't it?

It's definitely possible, although characters promoting from Battle Monk would need a substantially different appearance as Battle Clerics for the transition to make sense.

I don't even think the Monk name is an issue, really. Monks can be male or female, and as I noted above, if we're comparing to the FE7/8 class, that class's name was spelled in kanji, while this one is in katakana. So it's unlikely that this class is meant to have anything to do with the previous Monk class, even though the two translate into English the same way. So even though that one was male-only, this one might not be. The thing is, if it really were to promote to Battle Cleric, Battle Monk would need to be female-only, or have a different promotion for males.

Edited by Othin

Maybe there's a possibility for different class branches for different sexes then. That would be quite interesting. Oh well, we will see in time.

As a side note, I feel like I've seen a larger ratio girls based on what we've seen of this game. I have absolutely no proof of this, just the feeling I've got from what I've seen.

Doesn't the battle monk look like Libera? And Libera's sprite seems to have a staff in the video.

I've been assuming that's the character with the class, yeah. Don't remember the staff, though. Do you recall where in the video?

That certainly could be a staff, but it's hard to say. It could be a weapon as well, but I think it does look more like a staff than an ax. And that would also explain the long hair part I mentioned earlier--the dialogue artwork matches with the battle-model.

Any guesses for what the heavily armored class with the axe is around 5:38? It's not as heavily armored as the armor knights shown so far so even though the shield seems pretty darn big I'm leaning towards hero.

And yeah, I love manaketes and laguz but seriously, wtf is this transforming thing?? I really hope we can see some actual manaketes, or at least more reasonable transforming creatures.

Finally, as for the battle monk I believe he is clearly holding a staff in his map spriet.

Edited by Jediabiwan

Any guesses for what the heavily armored class with the axe is around 5:38? It's not as heavily armored as the armor knights shown so far so even though the shield seems pretty darn big I'm leaning towards hero.

And yeah, I love manaketes and laguz but seriously, wtf is this transforming thing?? I really hope we can see some actual manaketes, or at least more reasonable transforming creatures.

It certainly could be a hero. Although, it looks like a giant pauldron-shield combo. Also, I want some dragons for sure. They're always fun for me.

Note: I just realized, looks like a more advanced version of unit at 2:10 in video too.

FA-ZILLA!!! My link

Edited by Kyea

It certainly could be a hero. Although, it looks like a giant pauldron-shield combo. Also, I want some dragons for sure. They're always fun for me.

FA-ZILLA!!! My link

All bow to the power of the divine chicken! Fa was a pretty sweet character, but when you think about it she isn't really any more normal looking than a Tanguel. Dragons are sweet, but I hope they give enough options so that you can use them regularly. Tiki was pretty cool with all the different dragonstones, and myrrh was so overpowered it didn't really matter, and of course the laguz were a cool system, Kurthnaga is awesome :).

Edited by Jediabiwan

All bow to the power of the divine chicken! Fa was a pretty sweet character, but when you think about it she isn't really any more normal looking than a Tanguel. Dragons are sweet, but I hope they give enough options so that you can use them regularly. Tiki was pretty cool with all the different dragonstones, and myrrh was so overpowered it didn't really matter, and of course the laguz were a cool system, Kurthnaga is awesome :).

Fa is indeed the strangest looking dragon in the FE series. (And possibly beyond that too... She's weird...) I am looking forward to seeing what these Taguel play like. I am hoping for a new system with them too, but not because the other ones were bad.

Dragonstones are a fairly cool idea, but having more than one is definitely a big boon. As far as the Laguz go, I didn't like the system in FE9 very much, but they did a really good job reformulating it into FE10; where I enjoyed it much more thoroughly.

2:17

Okay, that's definitely a staff, but is it the same character? I'm not so sure about that.

Hard to say. I don't think it looks anything like a Hero, though.