least favorite aspect so far?

You guys summed up a lot of my concerns~

the goofy final fantasy hats they've put on all the mages

I'm not big on those either. They're cute, but not for Fire Emblem. I think I may have seen one of the female mages riding a broom as well. (Here, in the second screenshot.) It's hard to tell what it is exactly, but it looks like she isn't touching the ground and is holding onto something. Does Mage = Witch? >o<

I could do without the zombies, I hate when they throw monsters into fire emblem.

I can't explain it very well, but there's something more emotional and intriguing about killing human units than monsters. (Although the morphs were pretty cool.)

he music, oh god the music. It's sad to see that Intelligent Systems has shifted to such mellow, hollow composers for the past, what, six games they've created? AT least FE9 had some nice melodies thrown into the wash of ambient whitenoise...

This isn't really a bother, but every time I see this game I have to remind myself this isn't a Squeeeenix game based on Final Fantasy. If it wasn't for the Fire Emblem sound effect during level ups, I wouldn't even no the difference. I swear, this is Four Heroes of Light as an SRPG.

Listening to the music in the trailers so far, I don't think the music is too bad. I'm sure my opinion will change one way or the other when the games comes out, but for now, I don't mind it too much.

Also, yes on the Squenix comment. >o<

I already hate Liz and I know that my hatred for her is only going to grow even more.

Agreed. I feel like I have her personality type pegged already and I'm not a fan. Also, she's a princess. Can't she afford clothing that doesn't include wearing underwear on her head and allowing her hoop skirt to poke through her dress? I know that they're supposed to be a vigilante-type royal family, but still.

--

As for my own thoughts, I'm still not sure what I think about the art style. I know that I like it and think it's attractive, but it just seems like a huge leap in design and costuming from previous games. This could be a good thing or a bad thing, but I still haven't decided. As I've said before, it still doesn't look like an IS or Nintendo production. It looks like Square Enix or Atlas or someone else. >o<

Edited by Popo

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate "Marth's" godawful shoes.

It's cause she ain't purty. And as we all know, a woman is only worth something if she be purty. :unsure:

People's reactions to Meg is just fucking embarrassing. I'm definitely glad whenever we have more varied female designs.

I'm liking everything about this game. I haven't been this excited for a Fire Emblem game since I heard FE7 was coming to the states (probably because I hated the PoR, RD, and the DS remakes).

you hated PoR and RD??? re: meg, i think she's awesome. she + brom = unstoppable father-daughter duo!

Why the hell you hate Ike oO....

Because he friend zoned Lincy for Soren ;A;. I didn't like him hogging attention in RD I wanted to spend more time with DB, LEA, & CRKs not with GMs they're the center of attention in PoR. I also dislike his know it all attitude in RD, and I hate his ending too QQ. They ruined my Ike from PoR only so he could look cooler in RD. DB is my favorite team ;w; if there was less GMs in RD the DB would be more developed.

Character growths in general were higher too, I think.

It depends, precisely, on how you count it. The average amongst all units in FE7 is 285.93, while it's 307.58 in FE8... however, that's not really an accurate picture since it includes outlier characters who have really high growths (like Myrrh, Tethys, or Merlinus) or really low growth rates (like Athos who has 0 in every growth). Obviously, we don't really "care" how good the growths of units like Ninian or Merlinus or Athos are. In addition, growths in prepromoted units are much higher in FE8. It's clear that the growths of prepromoted units are far less important than that of unpromoted units (who cares about Renault's growths). And interestingly, the average growths among unpromoted units (disregarding Dancers and Myrrh and Merlinus) are actually higher for FE7, 302 against 298. So it's inaccurate to really say that FE8 has better growths in general: prepromotes do have better growths, though.

Which makes sense, when you think about it. Seth and Lute might beat their FE7 contemporaries, but Kyle and Forde lose. Even while Eirika and Ephraim outdo Lyn and Eliwood, Lucius beats Artur, Canas wipes the floor with Knoll, and Bartre and Dorcas outperform Garcia and Ross.

These two, one is right, one isn't. There were a few strong weapons on enemies in the later levels, but most of the time, they were just steel and iron weapons. Until, like, final, where every enemy had steel and silver and stuff.

Are you talking about FE7 or FE8? Because Final enemies in FE8 never use Silver weapons, it's almost entirely Reavers, Killers, and Steel (although you have Hellfangs that are effectively as strong as Silver Swords and Demon Surge which is Fimbulvetr without the weight, so I guess that's partially true). Weird, since Chapter 19 enemies are happy to use Silver and even Brave weapons.

But, the lower levels was definitely a thing. Promoted enemies in FE8 didn't level at all (and when they did, their growths and bases were shit),

Having looked at the enemy data, I don't think it's a level issue. Enemies in the 22nd chapter of FE8 are about level 5-8 promoted. While that's lower than FE7 endgame enemies, FE7 is also a much longer game with many more chapters, and your units are higher levelled as a result. Having level 20/20 units is very feasible in FE7 while it is only practical for Seth in FE8: normally, I find that my units are around level 5-10 at the end of FE8.

Also, as I've already stated, FE7 and FE8 enemies have numerically identical growths and bases. If there's a difference in their eventual stats (which I haven't seen a whole lot of evidence for), it's a difference in how HM bonuses work.

I recall there was some change with how promoted enemies' stats were handled in FE8 compared to FE7 that gave the FE8 promoted enemies lower stats, even at the same levels. Which affects all enemies, not just the monsters.

I don't know about that, but the enemy stats listed on this site give similar numbers for FE8 and FE7 enemies:

FE8:

Lvl 5 Hero: 44 HP, 13 Str, 18 Skl, 14-15 Spd, 6-7 Lck, 14 Def, 6-7 Res.

FE7:

L5 Hero w/ Silver Axe and Hand Axe:

15 Str, 17 Skl, 16 Spd, 10 Con----42 Hp, 13 Def, 7 Res

The FE8 Hero leads in some areas (HP, DEF, SKL) but loses in others (STR, SPD, RES).

i agree that krom looks way to much like ike, which is why i'm worried that he's going to replace ike in the next smash bros.

i'm surprised no one's mentioned disliking the random battles in FE13, which is what i thought most people hated about FE8 since it made the game trivially easy since you could always just grind for levels if you wanted.

i agree that krom looks way to much like ike, which is why i'm worried that he's going to replace ike in the next smash bros.

i'm surprised no one's mentioned disliking the random battles in FE13, which is what i thought most people hated about FE8 since it made the game trivially easy since you could always just grind for levels if you wanted.

Hating FE8 for having grinding is incredibly stupid. Do people hate Pokemon because you can grind to level 100 in Route 1? Of course not. Grinding is a good thing because it lets you make the game easier on yourself if you get stuck: if you grind all your units to max level and then complain that the game is too easy, you are just stupid. Of course the game is going to be easy if you grind your units to max level!

Hating FE8 for having grinding is incredibly stupid. Do people hate Pokemon because you can grind to level 100 in Route 1? Of course not.

i don't disagree, but it is anomalous for the fire emblem series, which is why it's a point of contention.

Because he friend zoned Lincy for Soren ;A;. I didn't like him hogging attention in RD I wanted to spend more time with DB, LEA, & CRKs not with GMs they're the center of attention in PoR. I also dislike his know it all attitude in RD, and I hate his ending too QQ. They ruined my Ike from PoR only so he could look cooler in RD. DB is my favorite team ;w; if there was less GMs in RD the DB would be more developed.

Won't tell you not to hate Krom for reminding you of Ike. But at least give the guy a chance.

Personally, I think of Krom as a cross between Marth & Ike more so than being purely Ike. Sort of like if Marth were a bit beefier or Ike less gruff.

I personally don't like grinding since it's a waste of time and unnecessary in FE and I wouldn't do it myself, but it's totally optional, guys. Nobody is forcing you to grind. If somebody wants to grind, whether they messed up bigtime on their team and needs extra levels to pass the chapter, or just really like looking at shiny green numbers, let them. If you don't want to, don't.

Now if FE cranked up the difficulty so much that you literally need to grind no matter how good you are just to beat every chapter, that's different and I would protest vehemently. But as long as it can be beaten with levels gained through the storyline chapters with a good strategy, I don't see the issue.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

It's very easy to just focus on the main story and ignore any optional encounters, simply deciding not to ever use them if they aren't desired. So I can't see any way the game could be penalized for having them.

But yeah, fuck forced grinding.

Edited by Othin

I personally don't like grinding since it's a waste of time and unnecessary in FE and I wouldn't do it myself, but it's totally optional, guys. Nobody is forcing you to grind. If somebody wants to grind, whether they messed up bigtime on their team and needs extra levels to pass the chapter, or just really like looking at shiny green numbers, let them. If you don't want to, don't.

What are you talking about, a certified IS employee came to my door when I started up the game, forced his way inside and said "Go to the Tower of Valani or I'll blow your fucking head off". This didn't happen to you?

You're saying you didn't kick the guy in the balls and give him the finger while slinging your AK-47 over your shoulder, threatening to shoot him if he ever came again?

Weak.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

I don't like Krom he reminds me of Ike, I hate Ike. I also hate that no American release is confirmed yet ;A;.

krom.jpg

Ike.PNG

Aside from the fact they both have blue hair, and even then they have different shades, those two as pictured there look far from the same.