The Venus Project

Bryan

I don't think it's actually asking a lot. Well, at least the zeitgeist movement isn't (resource-based economies). All it asks is that you stop doing backward, stupid, nonsensical things concerning the environment around you, and how one provides access to these things.

Basically, it's communism.

In a way, except that nobody has to work. So it's not "Work and then you get fed, or if you don't work, you'll still get fed" That's what fails about Communism. This wouldn't see anybody working, unless they wanted to, so it's different.

I like that this guy has actually thought about these things. A lot of the technology has already been created, so it's not completely unreasonable.

In a way, except that nobody has to work. So it's not "Work and then you get fed, or if you don't work, you'll still get fed" That's what fails about Communism.

No, that's not communism, that sounds more like capitalism. After all, in capitalism, the idea is generally that if you don't work, you don't make any money and you can't buy anything.

This wouldn't see anybody working, unless they wanted to, so it's different.

No, it isn't. Communism is the attempt to create a society without class divisions or money or private property. That is exactly the same as what this person is proposing.

Terrible idea... If people don't work then they get lazy and useless. Basically everyone would be fat and only live to be about forty(probably not an accurate number but whatever :/). I just think this would be a really bad idea...

I interpreted the point to be to maximize food production with technologies already available, economics be damned. It would take more research to argue either way comfortably, but it sounds to me more like they're supposing "if we pull this off everybody can eat" more than "everybody can stop working."

I interpreted the point to be to maximize food production with technologies already available, economics be damned. It would take more research to argue either way comfortably, but it sounds to me more like they're supposing "if we pull this off everybody can eat" more than "everybody can stop working."

Yeah, I believe the idea is that, with modern technology and/or technology that's not far off, we should be able to create a society where people don't necessarily have to work.

Yeah, I believe the idea is that, with modern technology and/or technology that's not far off, we should be able to create a society where people don't necessarily have to work.

That concept just worries me, it's also, IMO, putting too much power in the hands of whatever group would be in charge of this.

That concept just worries me, it's also, IMO, putting too much power in the hands of whatever group would be in charge of this.

That's the issue I take with this. If this idea were to ever go through, I think the governing body should be elected with a set amount of years of governing and a term limit. It's much more difficult to corrupt the government this way.

That's the issue I take with this. If this idea were to ever go through, I think the governing body should be elected with a set amount of years of governing and a term limit. It's much more difficult to corrupt the government this way.

Because no one dos anything unethical to achieve power in a seemingly utopian society, right?

Terrible idea... If people don't work then they get lazy and useless. Basically everyone would be fat and only live to be about forty(probably not an accurate number but whatever :/). I just think this would be a really bad idea...

We can all go do research and we'll go visit planets in the next few years :sparkle:

In all seriousness however, i do not find that a real concern... You don't have to do excersise to stay skinny, simply because your body doesn't need all that energy and makes you eat less. Of course there are people that do overeat... Also, all that free time is horrible. What makes you think people wouldn't go do something else? If you don't have to work, you are going to go find something to keep yourself busy.

As for project venus, its a nice idea. I have thought a few times of something like this, where people wouldn't work for money and didn't need to pay for various utilities like energy and stuff (although i haven't read this thing so excuse me if its a little bit off). However as things stand right now, i don't think it will work... if ever. It seems as with the way (most) people think (i must be better than others) it wouldn't work, because really everyone would be the same.

Because no one dos anything unethical to achieve power in a seemingly utopian society, right?

You know, someone tried to argue this point a while ago, and when it came down to it, it was an argument based on the assumption that someone would want power in a world where power didn't really mean anything. There isn't a point in corrupting a system which provides universally with no cost--the concepts for which one would desire power would be fed regardless of if you had power or not.

There's no longer any thing to control.

Edited by Celice

You know, someone tried to argue this point a while ago, and when it came down to it, it was an argument based on the assumption that someone would want power in a world where power didn't really mean anything. There isn't a point in corrupting a system which provides universally with no cost--the concepts for which one would desire power would be fed regardless of if you had power or not.

So, literally a society of innovation and progress?

That's something I can get behind.

This. I don't find power for power's sake a particularly attractive concept, and I don't think there are that many people who really do. And even then, what motivation would they have to do anything that would make everyone else's lives worse, in such a society?

We can all go do research and we'll go visit planets in the next few years :sparkle:

In all seriousness however, i do not find that a real concern... You don't have to do excersise to stay skinny, simply because your body doesn't need all that energy and makes you eat less. Of course there are people that do overeat... Also, all that free time is horrible. What makes you think people wouldn't go do something else? If you don't have to work, you are going to go find something to keep yourself busy.

As for project venus, its a nice idea. I have thought a few times of something like this, where people wouldn't work for money and didn't need to pay for various utilities like energy and stuff (although i haven't read this thing so excuse me if its a little bit off). However as things stand right now, i don't think it will work... if ever. It seems as with the way (most) people think (i must be better than others) it wouldn't work, because really everyone would be the same.

But most people (at least were I live) overeat while having to work. So if they don't work and they overeat in the extra free time they'd have more time to eat, and they probably wouldn't be doing as much, because they won't have to work, so they'd just get fatter and more useless. This may not be true of everywhere but where I live it would almost definitely happen.

But most people (at least were I live) overeat while having to work. So if they don't work and they overeat in the extra free time they'd have more time to eat, and they probably wouldn't be doing as much, because they won't have to work, so they'd just get fatter and more useless. This may not be true of everywhere but where I live it would almost definitely happen.

I'd like to believe people would follow the things they cared for in such a society...

I mean they would get hobbies. They would find something they love to do and do it and be good at it.

It could happen, but it's more than likely that most people would just sit at home and watch TV or something all day. :/: