"Lancemaster" class?

Hazuki

Okay, so I was thinking about something. We have Swordmasters, who are sword users with this innate critical bonus because of their class. I was wondering why there aren't to my knowledge any lance/axe equivalent classes, like a "Lancemaster" or an "Axemaster". Giving it more thought, however, I figured that the Berserker class is pretty much the axe's answer to Swordmasters (just not in name), but that would just leave lances...

Is it just me, or does FE have no lance-only, on-foot classes that have this critical bonus that would parallel with Swordmasters and Berserkers? If they don't exist, what could be the reason behind that? Is a "Lancemaster" class even a good idea? Thoughts?

Even besides what Srs said, Lances are generally the domain of cavalry for player units. Pegasus Knights and other wingies are generally lance-locked until promotion, and Cavaliers start with them if they're not locked to them (some cavs in non-GBA games).

Oh woops, I wasn't aware of the attributes that Halberdier and Sentinel had, since I never played FE9 or FE10. However, I think it's interesting that they only exist in those games as far as I know... I would expect FE to have introduced them earlier and given them more prominence in the series.

What about "Super Recruit" Amelia? Does she count?

You know, I forgot about Amelia as a Super Recruit. Going by what I was saying, she does fit the bill I guess, although what I had in mind was a class that wasn't so exclusive.

I clearly remember a couple of Snipers in TRS. As enemies. They seemed to be a promotion to the more often seen Bow Knight.

Now that you mention it, yeah. But I think that's a bit of a different matter.

And Swordmaster doesn't?

No it doesn't, at least to my ears. Swordmanship was historically considered an art, so it makes sense for there to be masters.

I'd consider Warrior over Berserker only because Axefighters have always promoted to Warriors and not Berserkers.

Warriors get bows, Berserkers are Mono-Axe users.

Berserkers, Snipers, Halberdiers and Swordmasters ALL have a crit bonus.

Very true, I give you that. I just think of Warriors as more formal than Berserkers, who are promoted from Pirates and Bandits. Plus, FE10 Warriors are mono-axes, they just can also use crossbows.

Sentinels called Holy Lancers in the European and Japanese versions of FE10, which is pretty close to LanceMaster.

Oh woops, I wasn't aware of the attributes that Halberdier and Sentinel had, since I never played FE9 or FE10. However, I think it's interesting that they only exist in those games as far as I know... I would expect FE to have introduced them earlier and given them more prominence in the series.

I also found it weird that it took so long for their introduction.

Warriors get bows, Berserkers are Mono-Axe users.

Berserkers, Snipers, Halberdiers and Swordmasters ALL have a crit bonus.

Halberdiers only had a crit bonus in FE10, where Reavers also had a crit bonus (although it was smaller).