[FE4] Rate the Unit XL

How did Amid end up with a higher score than Azel?

Easier standards for subs? Iunno. Bias points? Amid gets Wind right off the bat, as opposed to Azel who has to wait until Chapter 4, IIRC?

Easier standards for subs? Iunno. Bias points? Amid gets Wind right off the bat, as opposed to Azel who has to wait until Chapter 4, IIRC?

Right, but what's he going to do with that extra speed? it's not like Amid doubles anyway.

Right, but what's he going to do with that extra speed? it's not like Amid doubles anyway.

Higher avoid? Seriously, I have no clue. I guess he's one of the better subs. He's better than someone like Asaello anyways. He actually becomes okay with the Pursuit Ring, if you choose to give it to him. Plus he's pretty good against Dragon Riders.

A) Amid gets wind at base (as said before), which helps him a bit more than Azel's fire; chapter 4 is a bit too late to save him.

B) Even if he doesn't get the pursuit ring (idefk if it even exists on an all-subs run; if anything i'd give it to leaf) Continue has a decent shot of activating and his one attack is decently powerful anyway

C) While Azel does eventually get a horsie, Amid has the advantage of neat toys like Rescue (that can be used to bring him to the front lines if it's not doing something ridiculous like getting a 2-turn on the first castle in final) and he's got enough punch to nab kills here or there. A lot of times he can go secure a secondary objective while Celice goes to seize a castle (villages, in chapter 7/9 he can go do something because the castle is out of the way etc).

D) OMG HIGHER CAPZ ARE COOOOOOLZ :B):

And the most important...

E) he has a butt for a face

Having used Amid, I can testify he is awful and is probably worse than Azel. I have no idea how a unit with 5 move and a lack of pursuit with mediocre bases is ever going to get to promotion without heavy favoritism and wasted time.

Edited by Dark Sage

Flyers are just about at the lowest point in the series in FE4. No rescue, can't use roads. Uncrossable yellow tiles usually prevent you from getting them ahead when the level geometry would otherwise allow it. No terrain bonuses either, with no dismount. Pegs in particular are even worse off and have only 8 move promoted.

About half the time there is an obvious "This is for a flyer!" mini-objective in a chapter, which doesn't actually matter for seizing and only has some minor effect on the overall game (e.g. getting the thief ring on someone in chapter 8). And sometimes the Peg will even be obsoleted for the obvios Peg mission just by playing fast, like when you can seize-vanish all the stuff in the northwest area in chapter 9, or getting the Tyrfing in 10 with Rescues and dances before Fee can do much at all.

So what's left? Besides a couple of early village rescues that no one else can realistically do, there are a few good times to put a Return staff on Fee; particularly in Epilogue. Claude!Fee in addition has amazing resistance and you can just send her anywhere to spam Restore and Libra even with Sleep staves all around, but it's a slow pairing.

6/10

Pretty much the way I feel. Plus pegasus knights seem really weak in my experience, at least compared to other characters you get, although obviously they can take out those annoying mages. Without terrain bonuses they just don't seem to cut it for me. I do really like the fact that she can use staves though, plus the early join time is pretty helpful so 7.5/10 for me.

I feel I might be under using her a little bit, but she just looks so retarded, and the way she talks doesn't help in proving otherwise. I won't take away any more points for that though.

Edited by Jediabiwan

Flyers are just about at the lowest point in the series in FE4. No rescue, can't use roads. Uncrossable yellow tiles usually prevent you from getting them ahead when the level geometry would otherwise allow it. No terrain bonuses either, with no dismount. Pegs in particular are even worse off and have only 8 move promoted.

i agree with this

About half the time there is an obvious "This is for a flyer!" mini-objective in a chapter, which doesn't actually matter for seizing and only has some minor effect on the overall game (e.g. getting the thief ring on someone in chapter 8). And sometimes the Peg will even be obsoleted for the obvios Peg mission just by playing fast, like when you can seize-vanish all the stuff in the northwest area in chapter 9, or getting the Tyrfing in 10 with Rescues and dances before Fee can do much at all.

and this, although i disagree that the rescue/dances is faster (don't bother using fee to save palmark, do some ai manipulating to get palmark to chase fee (bringing him closer). and then there are times when using the flier for the secondary objective is nice, since nobody else does it faster and celice can just seizepoof anyway (eg thief ring).

So what's left? Besides a couple of early village rescues that no one else can realistically do, there are a few good times to put a Return staff on Fee; particularly in Epilogue. Claude!Fee in addition has amazing resistance and you can just send her anywhere to spam Restore and Libra even with Sleep staves all around, but it's a slow pairing.

Fee has some nice things like hit/running up the dark warlord's cliffs, staffing on a flying mount (leaf arguably does it better). ANd her combat is nothing to scoff at; if nothing else she's a horse unit who is neither hindered nor aided by terrain

imo she does a lot to help celice get to the castle and never (if ever) hinders him from doing so in a timely fashion, which = super good in my eyes. (in my view, a 5/10 means that they cost nothing but do largely nothing, below that means it slows me down to train them for unneeded returns, above that means they help out somewhat with either little or disregardable costs; an example would be arthur - it slows you down a bit to train him up but in the end the results of that are worth waaaaaay more than the cost).

Edited by Camtech

And Claude x Fury might be slow, but eh, there is very little utility in Gen 1 that another mounted unit can't provide that you might lose by keeping Fury stuck to Claude. All that comes to mind is the Meteor mages in Chapter 5.

>Sigurd kills something with Hero/Silver/whatever the fuck you give him

>Sigurd switches to Tyrfing for EP

>Not afraid of Meteor mages at all

It's only an issue if you take other people with Sigurd, though Sigurd vs Langobalt by himself is pretty RNG dependent even with a critical Hero unless you have an unreasonably high amount of kills on it at that point, but if you take Levin, he should have Holsety on him and will never get hit. Taking more than Siggy and Levin down the desert stretch is most likely unnecessary anyway.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

A) Amid gets wind at base (as said before), which helps him a bit more than Azel's fire; chapter 4 is a bit too late to save him.

Yes, Amid is quite a bit faster than Azel, but Azel still doubles and Amid doesn't.

B) Even if he doesn't get the pursuit ring (idefk if it even exists on an all-subs run; if anything i'd give it to leaf) Continue has a decent shot of activating and his one attack is decently powerful anyway

You know what activates more often than Continue? Pursuit. Amid and Azel have around the same attack power (iirc, Amid has 1 more point of base magic and that's it). So Azel is also "decently powerful".

C) While Azel does eventually get a horsie, Amid has the advantage of neat toys like Rescue (that can be used to bring him to the front lines if it's not doing something ridiculous like getting a 2-turn on the first castle in final) and he's got enough punch to nab kills here or there. A lot of times he can go secure a secondary objective while Celice goes to seize a castle (villages, in chapter 7/9 he can go do something because the castle is out of the way etc).

Amid cannot use staves, let alone A Rank staves.

Azel can also take care of secondary objectives like picking up villages.

I think Cam means that Rescue can be used on Amid almost from the get-go, assuming you paired Aideen with Azel or Claude, while you don't get Rescue in Gen 1 until Chapter 4 at the earliest.

I don't like Fees, they take what little money I have and make it less.

Fee (sometimes spelled with a phat "ph") is good. In my first PT, she and Al10a made getting the Tyrfing possible.

She also can heal and all that jazz.

8/10

I think Cam means that Rescue can be used on Amid almost from the get-go, assuming you paired Aideen with Azel or Claude, while you don't get Rescue in Gen 1 until Chapter 4 at the earliest.

Lana doesn't start with A Staves unless her dad was Claude, so even if you have an Azel/Aideen you won't be able to pass Rescue down.

EDIT: And anyway, we're rating subs on a subs run, where Amid is guaranteed to not have Rescue.

Edited by Integrity

Lana doesn't start with A Staves unless her dad was Claude, so even if you have an Azel/Aideen you won't be able to pass Rescue down.

Actually, you could pair Azel Aideen then sell the Rescue staff to Claude and pass it down to Sety.

please note that i personally believe that azel got the shaft; i like amid where he is but from my experiences azel is better than what his current score leads one to believe

Actually, you could pair Azel Aideen then sell the Rescue staff to Claude and pass it down to Sety.

Yeah, that's fair. It gets you the staff a chapter and some change earlier than you would have gotten it.