Proposed Thracia Names Changes

General Banzai

Ooh. Banzai dropped the fucking f-bomb. Fuck, guys. That means he's fucking serious.

I'd still like to see some hacking. I can't take the "fuck you" essay and the "if you're dissatisfied with what you get" threats seriously if you have no capacity to accomplish any of this.

Fuck, I'm half tempted to do my own Thracia patch update. Just fix the menus, apply some standard terminology, remove the memes, and call it good. Hell, I'll even promise to do only one name change. Othin -> Oisin. The community gives me that one, and I give them a vastly improved patch. Sound fair?

So many strikethroughs.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no! Defeated by Banzai and his friends, I have no choice but to leave the thread in shame and rethink my pathetic friendless life...

First you have to spend months in a dark room watching soap operas and eating gaggles of eyes cream.

I think you get superpowers though once the whole ordeal is done, so it's worth it.

Also localization is dumb and useless, stop dicking around with those names.

but it worked so well in the pokemon anime.

my enjoyment of it was significantly enhanced by the inclusion of donuts.

Wait, when did we determine that Banzai is unable to understand plain English?

Was it because I had questions that

"Because I was the daughter of the bishop, I was not allowed to be the friend Linoan, the daughter of a duke"

when ingame sources indicate the role of bishop as a highly venerated role and thus it wouldn't make sense why there is such a class divide?

This is a good example of ignoring what's right in front of you what basing yourself on info that isn't there, yes

Does Saphy say her motivation? No. The one who brings the Bishop part is Leaf, trying to remember who she is. It could be because she knows that Linoan is a descendant of Heim, and therefore a better (lol holy blood). Maybe she's humble. But no, Leaf brought up she's a bishop's daughter, so that makes no sense!

Also, you see ambiguities where there are none ("Your mother" is ambiguous? Please) and seem to be particularly adverse to the idea of leaving things "in the air". As if a translation was supposed to complete the original!

You know, TheEnd, I don't know Japanese.

Never said you did. In fact, I distinctly remember you downplaying the importance of Japanese knowledge in a translation.

Why the fuck do you think I turned to you when I wanted someone to run those lines by the original Japanese?

Lack of a choice. Because even if I'm an asshole, I'm around and active.

And what do I get in response? Smug assery, insults that I'm unfamiliar with the canon/the English language, and all sorts of other shit.

I did answer your queries, however. Smugly? Indeed. Because you didn't seem to be aware of a very simple fact.

You, who aren't even skilled at interpreting English, are trying to fix a translation made, even if rushedly, by someone who's a native Japanese speaker and fluent English user.

What the hell?

I came to you for help in order to fill in the holes I saw in the script and you spurned me, and now you come in here claiming that I'm not qualified for this.

Did I fail to state you weren't qualified for this from the get-go? Oops. Loading Serenes is a pain right now, so I'll just presume I forgot to even imply it in the retranslation thread.

So fuck you, I asked for your help early on and you didn't want to give it. So if you're dissatisfied with what you get, it's your own damn fault.

Banzai, let me tell you this bluntly.

If I were to "help" you, I'd have to doublecheck every. single. change. you'd make. Because, as I've already left clear, I don't trust your ability and judgment at all. And I believe you can probably picture how well that would turn out.

Not to mention your shenanigans at the FE12 translation threads. What, you thought I wasn't paying attention?

Also, I thought you were going to disregard my posts as trolling? I am disappointed.

Ooh. Banzai dropped the fucking f-bomb. Fuck, guys. That means he's fucking serious.

I'd still like to see some hacking. I can't take the "fuck you" essay and the "if you're dissatisfied with what you get" threats seriously if you have no capacity to accomplish any of this.

Fuck, I'm half tempted to do my own Thracia patch update. Just fix the menus, apply some standard terminology, remove the memes, and call it good. Hell, I'll even promise to do only one name change. Othin -> Oisin. The community gives me that one, and I give them a vastly improved patch. Sound fair?

So many strikethroughs.

I say do it

Oisin isn't any less valid than Othin anyway

First you have to spend months in a dark room watching soap operas and eating gaggles of eyes cream.

I think you get superpowers though once the whole ordeal is done, so it's worth it.

But I'd get fired if I did that

Damn, I'll have to do without the superpowers, won't I... well, at least I should still be able to attain wizardry

Edited by TheEnd

Does Saphy say her motivation? No. The one who brings the Bishop part is Leaf, trying to remember who she is. It could be because she knows that Linoan is a descendant of Heim, and therefore a better (lol holy blood). Maybe she's humble. But no, Leaf brought up she's a bishop's daughter, so that makes no sense!

Oh descendant of Heim yeah that makes sense

too bad I was too English-dumb to see that in the script, looking back I now see exactly where Saphy brings up Heim and such

thanks

Oh descendant of Heim yeah that makes sense

too bad I was too English-dumb to see that in the script, looking back I now see exactly where Saphy brings up Heim and such

thanks

Wow

You cant change everything to Vergil and be done with it? :U

Having escaped with his life from the collapsing Vergil Castle, Vergil, together with his loyal knight Vergil and his daughter Vergil...

So Arch

It seems you've created a meme

How are you feeling about this

Edited by TheEnd

So Arch

It seems you've created a meme

How are you feeling about this

Not only does the "Cavalier formerly known as Belf" get an infinitely better name, but I also get to be the father of a meme. I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty satisfied with myself.

FireEmblem7-Clean-Copy.png

Especially since I've already started localizing my own hack, "Vergilian Nights."

Anyways, Banzai, the people clearly demand Vergil! It's the only way to change names in the hack without mass outcry, you might as well succumb. I look forward to the day when I can read the game about Vergil's quest for revenge against Vergil, traveling all throughout northern and southern Vergil, in complete English, with pretty menus and all!

Fire Emblem: Vergil 776

Vergil Emblem: Vergil 776

Someone certainly is creative :awesome:.

Although, I have to lay down the ground rules: character names and locations only. Otherwise this just might get out of hand, and we can't have that happening, can we?

Edited by Arch

Someone certainly is creative :awesome:.

Although, I have to lay down the ground rules: character names and locations only. Otherwise this just might get out of hand, and we can't have that happening, can we?

Wrong.

Every sword is now the Vergil sword.

The five magic types are Vergil, Vergil, Vergil, Vergil, and Vergil

[4/11/12 1:26:01 AM] B. Rose: Everybody Vergil

[4/11/12 1:26:07 AM] Jake Whitaker: Every location too

[4/11/12 1:26:15 AM] B. Rose: Every weapon.

[4/11/12 1:26:34 AM] B. Rose: The Iron Vergil totally has VTA over the Vergil's Steel Vergil.

[4/11/12 1:27:02 AM] Lumi: Every stat Vergil

[4/11/12 1:27:08 AM] B. Rose: Vergil Up!

[4/11/12 1:27:32 AM] Jake Whitaker: We're gonna remove all the FE5 memes, and insert a new one :P

[4/11/12 1:27:39 AM] Jake Whitaker: Random boss of random chapter becomes Vergil

[4/11/12 1:27:58 AM] Lumi: So Vergil has 52 Vergil, 18Vergil, 9 Vergil, 16 Vergil, 15 Vergil, 10 Vergil, 14 Vergil, and 8 Vergil!

[4/11/12 1:28:42 AM] Lumi: Iron Vergil weighs Vergil down by 2 so he really only has 13 Attack Vergil.

[4/11/12 1:28:46 AM] Lumi: Poor Vergil.

[4/11/12 1:29:40 AM] B. Rose: Careful on Vergil 5, though.  You can't see Vergils in the Fog of Vergil

Juuuuuust a bit :P

Wrong.

Every sword is now the Vergil sword.

The five magic types are Vergil, Vergil, Vergil, Vergil, and Vergil

You can't hijack my fucking meme; that's like kidnapping my child. I should report you to the fucking police, kidnapper! Hear that, General Vergil? You're goin' to jail.

Shaking off pursuits from the eastern Vergil Empire, Vergil fled to various cities such as Vergil and Vergil before finally arriving at Vergil, a small vergil on the eastern coast of Vergil.

Not only does the "Cavalier formerly known as Belf" get an infinitely better name, but I also get to be the father of a meme. I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty satisfied with myself.

FireEmblem7-Clean-Copy.png

Especially since I've already started localizing my own hack, "Vergilian Nights."

Anyways, Banzai, the people clearly demand Vergil! It's the only way to change names in the hack without mass outcry, you might as well succumb. I look forward to the day when I can read the game about Vergil's quest for revenge against Vergil, traveling all throughout northern and southern Vergil, in complete English, with pretty menus and all!

You should consider naming all those random nameless enemies "Vergil".

I'm totally okay with this.

I'd only say that as long as there's a new and improved FE4 patch out, you could make the names match up with that to preserve continuity along the two translation patches... but that's your prerogative.

I'm totally okay with this.

I'd only say that as long as there's a new and improved FE4 patch out, you could make the names match up with that to preserve continuity along the two translation patches... but that's your prerogative.

Yeah, I'd definitely like to preserve continuity between the two. It means Serlis, but opposition to that one seems to be slowly winding down. I kind of like Ilios too, it just feels like a nicer (and still valid) translation to me. If there's strong opposition to that one, though, Eyrios is fine. Oisin and Ilios would be it, though. I definitely don't plan on going around, changing locations, Crusaders, and basic things like that which have been in use across two translation patches.

Guess I should probably try contacting Pukachi.

Edited by Arch

Yeah, I'd definitely like to preserve continuity between the two. It means Serlis, but opposition to that one seems to be slowly winding down. I kind of like Ilios too, it just feels like a nicer (and still valid) translation to me. If there's strong opposition to that one, though, Eyrios is fine. Oisin and Ilios would be it, though. I definitely don't plan on going around, changing locations, Crusaders, and basic things like that which have been in use across two translation patches.

Guess I should probably try contacting Pukachi.

So it's really not the principle of changing the names?

I wrote a huge explanation as to why, according to the Kana, my name changes are correct, an explanation quite frankly I don't think anyone here even read. If I'm soooo unqualified, and soooo misinformed about Katakana, then it ought to be easy for all you Japanese speakers to go in and tear my arguments to shreds, explaining just how wrong my interpretations of the Kana are.

Nobody, not TheEnd or dondon or whoever else, has even attempted to do that.

And then, you propose to change Othin to Oisin, a change that ISN'T supported by the Kana. When I put up the two Kana to compare, as well as to the Kana to Odin's name, the Kana between Othin and Odin were far more similar than the Kana between Othin and Oisin. Meanwhile, calling someone whose name is based on Odin "Othin" is a perfectly acceptable corruption, because Odin's Norse name, Óðinn, can be translated into English as both "Odinn" and "Othinn", because the ð can go both ways.

You guys have made it quite care that you don't really care about name changes all that much. There was minimal flare-up over Serlis and Aiofe (and nothing over Skashach as far as I can tell), even though those changes were actually USED in a patch, whereas mine were simply hypothetical changes. Now, you seek to change Oisin pretty clearly just to troll me.

You defeat your own "no changes on principle" arguments and indicate that you're simply opposed to MY changes, for no clearly explained reason.

Again, TheEnd and whoever else can go in and say "You don't know Katakana, you don't know English" as much as they want, but so far, that's ALL that they've said. Nobody has shown a single shred of evidence to prove it, and no, TheEnd, linking to a couple of legitimate textual questions isn't evidence that I "don't even understand plain English."

and no, TheEnd, linking to a couple of legitimate textual questions isn't evidence that I "don't even understand plain English."

You can't even tell who's talking in a script with names, and then say your questions are legitimate?

Give me a break.