Magnus finally gets a PS3!

Cain Magnus

Uncharted games

Mass Effect games

Metal Gear Solid games

If you're into sports games, those are good on the PS3, mainly NBA 2k, MLB the Show, and NCAA football

Assassin's Creed games

Valkyria Chronicles (I think FE fans would like this one the most)

Red Dead Redemption

EDIT: Heavy Rain

If I think of more I'll edit this post

Edited by Helios

Considering you picked it up for a JRPG..

Disgaea 3 & 4 (Just get 4 if you're interested, their stories aren't connected and it has the most content)

Valkyria Chronicles

Eternal Sonata (One of my favorite games this gen :O. I was only gonna list exclusives I'd played in case you had other consoles, but ES PS3 is better and has a lot more content so it kinda counts)

Folklore (suuuper fun game. Sadly drowned out by all of the shooters this gen :(. Not a traditional RPG, but still awesome. You can get it for like $10.)

There are a bunch of other exclusive JRPGs on PS3, but they just aren't ones I'd suggest personally. Unless you're super into lolis, in which case I suggest you spend your money seeking help rather than buying a game :P:.

Other neat stuff to check out (aka just a list of the PS3 games I own and would suggest):

MGS4

Gran Turismo 5

Uncharted 1-3

Journey (Get iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit)

Heavy Rain (Amazing if you're into that type of thing :o. Not for everyone though.)

ICO & Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection (Just two games anyone who owns a PS2 or PS3 should play. Period :P)

I don't feel comfortable recommending games I haven't played, so I just listed ones I played and liked. I also only listed ones you could only get on PS3, 'cause I dunno what other consoles you have and what you own for them :P:. You get a PS3 primarily for its amazing exclusives anyway! You'd probably be disappointed if you bought it only for multi-plat games :P.

Edited by Tangerine

I'm a bit surprised no one mentioned Little Big Planet, inFAMOUS, and their sequels yet; both series are great exclusives for the PS3. The LBPs are generally more fun when there's more people to play with, but inFAMOUS and its sequel are a great single player experience, definitely one of my favorite games. I highly recommend you check these two out.

EDIT: Also, I applaud you on your purchase of ToGf, I'm a big Tales fan as well haha

Edited by DualSilverGunner

Heavy Rain (Amazing if you're into that type of thing :o. Not for everyone though.)

I second Tangerine on this one (and can't believe I forgot to mention it!). One of my favorite games on the PS3 for sure.

I'm a bit surprised no one mentioned Little Big Planet, inFAMOUS, and their sequels yet; both series are great exclusives for the PS3. The LBPs are generally more fun when there's more people to play with, but inFAMOUS and its sequel are a great single player experience, definitely one of my favorite games. I highly recommend you check these two out.

EDIT: Also, I applaud you on your purchase of ToGf, I'm a big Tales fan as well haha

I also loved LBP and LBP2, but they're not nearly as fun if you don't have a few people to play with. Safer to mention good single player games when the OP didn't give us much info :O!

What genres do you like?
I also loved LBP and LBP2, but they're not nearly as fun if you don't have a few people to play with. Safer to mention good single player games when the OP didn't give us much info :O!

Lol, sorry.

I generally like any genre (Minus most FPS), so you can go wild on recommendations of any type of game. Though with better detail, I lean a lot on JRPGs, Strategy, Action/Adventure, etc.

But all the suggestions so far seem interesting. I'm going to look into them whenever I feel I can spend some more money on games.

Also, I applaud you on your purchase of ToGf, I'm a big Tales fan as well haha

Me too. :P But your name seems familiar...are you on YouTube?

Lol, sorry.

I generally like any genre (Minus most FPS), so you can go wild on recommendations of any type of game. Though with better detail, I lean a lot on JRPGs, Strategy, Action/Adventure, etc.

But all the suggestions so far seem interesting. I'm going to look into them whenever I feel I can spend some more money on games.

Then out of my list:

Eternal Sonata. ESPS3 is just plain the best turn-based RPG this generation. Also super cheap, but you may need to get it used. $15~ or so?

Valkyria Chronicles is iffy since you said you didn't like shooters, but I also don't like shooters and loved it. It's basically an SRPG where you have to aim your attack instead of press a button, at its root :P:. Very cheap, $20 at most.

Disgaea 4 is an SRPG grindfest focusing heavily on humor and big numbers. Not much to say about it! You get what it advertises and that's it :P. This is still full price I think, I have it for $50 new.

Uncharted 1-3 is actually the highest rated action/adventure series this gen, with Uncharted 2 just shy of being one of the top 5 highest rated games of all time on GR, at #6. But again its main form of combat is that of a shooter, but you might like it regardless :P. The cool thing is they have this package deal going on where you can get Uncharted 1 + 2 and a free DualShock 3 controller for $59.99

ICO & Shadow HD. ICO and Shadow are easily two of the best games of all time. But they're quite artistic and have stories quite open to interpretation. They're also fairly unique for adventure games, so it's up to you there :P. The HD collection is hovering around $30. It has more content than the PS2 versions we got in NA, so it's better to get them for PS3.

Would probably be the ones to check out with those genres in mind. They're the safer bets anyway, but some have elements you listed you didn't like. Maybe just out gameplay videos?

Ones I wouldn't suggest that have been listed:

MGS4 (The series has an amazing story, but MGS4 in particular is a lot more focused on guns than stealth like the past 3 games. Definitely grab it if you're an MGS fan though!)

GT5 (You didn't say you like racing so :P)

The other games are up to you to investigate to see if you will like :o. I totally suggest Journey though. Anyone with a PS3 who is reading this should get Journey :P:.

Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2

there i said it

Honestly it's really cheap now (i think 20 dollars is the max you'll find it for, I remember gamestop had a promotion that had it for 10) and it's hit-or-miss. If you liked FFXIII then get XIII-2 (which is obviously new). I really really liked FFXIII so that's why I'm suggesting it now.

Lots of good recommendations so far.

Brawlers:

-Yakuza 4: sandbox no-hold-barred martial arts action game with a big emphasis on story, pretty solid game with a ton of content. Sometimes gets a kind of "Japanese GTA" label, but it's more like playing a drama/martial arts movie to me.

-Scott Pilgrim: Sidescrolling sprite brawler, with art by internet famous dude (IIRC) Paul Robertson, of Baby Pirate/Mecha Fetus fame. If you've ever played River City Ransom, this game is basically that on 10 kinds of crack, very pretty solid game. Was fun for me even before I knew what Scott Pilgrim was. The only gripe is that there's no online co-op, but it's really great if you can actually get people together for it.

Puzzle:

-Catherine: An Atlus/SMT spinoff game, sort of. Cousin of a love baby of a spin off of a spin off, more like.

Other stuff:

-El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron: Another trip of a game. Devil May Cry esque brawling plus 2D platforming plus some of the trippiest art ever, guaranteed, based on the Apocrypha. in about the same way Star Wars is based on World War 2

-Batman, Arkham Asylum/City: Kind of assumed somebody else would beat me to it, I can't think of anybody I wouldn't recommend this game to. It is pretty good. You are Batman. It's you.

-Vanquish: This may be a shooter, but it's a hell of an unusual approach to a cover-based one.

Edited by Rehab

Me too. :P But your name seems familiar...are you on YouTube?

YouTube? I have an account there yes, but I'm not an uploader. It's really unbeknownst to me that there's a YouTuber with a name similar to mine. That's the second time I've been asked this, so I'll have to look into it haha.

How has nobody mentioned Sonic Generations yet? Awesome game, if you've played any of the old (or recent) Sonic games it's super awesomely nostalgic.