what is with all the ilyanna hate?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, I am a big fangirl of Ilyana, I just hate when people bash units I really like in FE when they are good and I don't just favor them.

Ilyana is my favourite unit in PoR, and in RD. I can't stand people saying "Ilyana SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!" or saying "I only use her because of the mini skirt" ...which is a STUPID reason for using a character, but, whatever. Just saying I agree with you in that she doesn't deserve all the hate. She's adorable, likable, and all around at least a decent unit.

nor am I seeing any Soren love based on his actual performance as a unit.

tumblr_lwz5lewEqp1qhfa8m.gif

I may be the only one on these forums who has love for Soren for what he can do as a unit. (and...i just still dont understand why people dont like him as a unit.)

The main thing is tht Mages/Sages aren't very desirable classes in this game. Then take into account Ilyana is a subpar Mage in every single chapte rshe's in once Tormod joins the dawn brigade and then Soren aftwards, she's almost never worth using unless your feeding her resources any better character could get more use out of.

I may be the only one on these forums who has love for Soren for what he can do as a unit. (and...i just still dont understand why people dont like him as a unit.)

Oh, I don't know - his below average speed, his below average durability, and his below average move?

NMDraft!Soren is a decent pick though. A promoted soren with favoritism can tear shit apart in drafts, but yeah, hes not actually that good, but I would say hes probably the best mage after micaiah with favoritism. Calill would be pretty cool if she had availability too :(.

Ilyana is far superior in PoR, where Thoron is better than Bolgalone (+1 str, -3 wt, +5 crit) and the dragons in Ch28/Endgame can't 2-range. Unfortunately for her, IS nerfed the damage to two less than fire while maintaining the -10 hit. With Micaiah's crap authority providing nothing to assist the accuracy, she'll miss half the time you try to get her chip damage kills for level ups.

As for the mages in general, other than Rexflame fire mages, they are all severely lacking thanks to bad speed caps and high res enemies. Micaiah and Sanaki are forced uses, so why waste a slot on Callil which can be utilized by a Reaver/Marksman/Royal. While it takes resources to get Sanaki to 34AS, it is feasible and her only other option is to spam a blessed meteor. Micaiah can at least sit in the back and spam Physic/Fortify.

First coupla playthroughs, I really liked using Soren. I didn't think he was very good but he was still one of my favored units. Then, on HM, I left him in the attack range of the boss at full health (almost all the way out though) on 4-1 after Ike had hacked her most of the way to death. Enemy phase, she flies over and kills him in a round.

Fuck Soren. I killed the boss and never looked back.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to use Ilyana in my first playthrough and despite her availability, her growth rate was honestly bad. Soren was much more satisfying to use despite how I had spent so much time on Ilyana trying to make her useable. Even Micaiah has bad speed problems and that is partially what makes DB chapters so hard. So there is nothing preventing you from using your favourite character, but unlike Path of Radiance, thunder magic is so bad it makes Ilyana even worse than she deserves to be.