So... playing FE5...

Gaggle of Geese

Dalsin is freakin' awesome. After using the Sety Scroll and Brave Axe for the whole of Manster, I now have a general with 14 STR and SKL, 9 SPD, 18 DEF and 17 BLD. Holy fucking shitwaffles. Everything goes "tink" on this guy.

I now officially love this game.

Is this normal, or am I just blessed with a great Dalsin?

Yeah, the 6 MOV is a bit of a liability, but he can at least keep up with dismounted and tier 1 units. Plus, there's always the potential to gain MOV in this game, although it isn't very likely. For comparison's sake, though, here are my Dalsin's current stats, and Dagda's base stats (I'm not sure what's grown at this point, if anything, since I just started chapter 8x).

My Dalsin:

HP: 33, STR: 14, MAG: 2, SKL: 14, SPD: 9, LUK: 1 (LOL) DEF: 18, BLD: 17, MOV: 6, MS: 0, PC: 1

Note that Dalsin's carrying a Luck Ring, so that LUK will be 3 soon.

Base Dagda:

HP: 43, STR: 14, MAG: 1, SKL: 11, SPD: 9, LUK: 2, DEF: 10, BLD: 15, MOV: 7, MS: 1, PC: 1

So, Dagda beats Dalsin in terms of HP, MOV, and LUK, and Dalsin beats him in everything else right now. Plus, Dagda has B Axes and E Swords, Lances, and Bows. Dagda has A Axes and E Bows currently. Dalsin's growths also exceed Dagda's in everything but luck, which is 5% lower.

For most people, Dagda can pretty much do the same stuff with less work, but I'm happy with how Dalsin turned out this time, so I'll keep using him. Plus, it's fun having a general.

EDIT: My current Dagda has the same stats as his bases, so that's valid for my game as well.

Edited by Flock of Geese

I think there's one escape chapter (14x?) with mountains surrounding the exit, and since General Dalsin can't cross them and his build is too high to be carried, he's forced to be left behind.

So uh...have fun with that.

Guess I won't field him in that chapter. Thanks for the heads up.

For a similar reason, I won't be fielding him in chapter 9 (which is really giving me trouble, by the way).

I'm not so sure how other deal with it, considering you don't really have a viable way of getting all your units into the necessary position to engage the enemy (before it's too late, excepting any leveling abuse on the player side). I always end up watching Othin take on everyone, as I ferry him over to one of the hills, and his wrath with several hand axes gets the job done.. It's definitely one of the more annoying chapters I can remember.

Dalshin can be good with the Sety Scroll and some babying (as can Marty), but Dalshin is gonna be worse than Marty for most of the game because there is for some reason a huge amount of enemies who have Hammers, which makes little sense because there are only two playable armor knights.

Marty also gains HP, defense, and bld much faster although he's got less skill and str (although if you're already slapping Sety on him you may as well give him Odo too).

Ultimately both are inferior to guys like Othin, Halvan, Dagda, anyone with extant bases, etc, but Marty's the better of the two, unless Dalshin's Manster usability somehow can conquer all his other disadvantages.

I'm playing this game for my first time and I've been using Dalsin a bunch. So, you're not alone on a great Dalsin unit. Once again it is my first time so maybe I'm getting lucky.

Edited by Guy Starwind

I guess Dalsin wins points for being one of the only units who can use lances indoors... but other than that, yeah, most other characters do his job better than him.

As for Chapter 9, the best way to do things, I think, would be to have Karin ferry your best unit over and sticking him on a forest tile (Othin with Pugi did it for me) - hopefully Leaf and a few other characters will get lucky and move again through the woods where they'll reach Selphina & co. just in time to save them. Additionally, you can alternate having Kein and Alba at the front while Selphina and Robert chip at enemies and move back - not the best method, but better some damage than none.

I just had everyone in Selphina's group escape except for Selphina herself (although in retrospect I think I should have left Robert out there instead, maybe). Then I left her on the escape tile and had Karin bring her a scroll so I could deal with the main army myself.

I guess Dalsin wins points for being one of the only units who can use lances indoors... but other than that, yeah, most other characters do his job better than him.

He can only use E rank. It's not until Dalshien reaches B Rank lances that there are actually any lances that he might prefer over an Axe, especially when you also consider how unoften you encounter Sword users indoors.

Dalsin is freakin' awesome. After using the Sety Scroll and Brave Axe for the whole of Manster, I now have a general with 14 STR and SKL, 9 SPD, 18 DEF and 17 BLD. Holy fucking shitwaffles. Everything goes "tink" on this guy.

I now officially love this game.

Is this normal, or am I just blessed with a great Dalsin?

While you're definitely skl/spd blessed...

[spoiler=OH DEAR SWEET JESUS THAT IMAGE SIZE]95e7afd02fc97398351250b68645bb6a.png77646341c03eafb79f9ebe987d7565ae.png

...you aren't the only one with good experiences with the guy.

(Was promoted at level 12, Sety scroll hadn't been equipped for long, this was the first preparation screen after the Manster escape... and in the entire game, I think. Elite Mode was on.)

For a similar reason, I won't be fielding him in chapter 9 (which is really giving me trouble, by the way).

also i forgot this and deployed him and had to restart the chapter and then it turns out i missed the fala scroll

I'm pretty good at other Fire Emblems. I think it's because FE5 actually requires some degree of precision. Precision does not become me.

But yeah, Dashin's just one of those guys who is just really fun to use, for me. I LIKE it when things just bounce off a guy and he takes on all-comers with seven movement and every weapon. ... Pity he's not actually a GOOD unit as such, but there you go.

EDIT: ... Man, I really needed to check if I needed spoiler tags for that image size. Turns out I did. A lot. Very a lot.

Edited by Furetchen