Return of the Emblem Chapter Nine: Consolidating Forces

Phoenix

Purely horrifying would be the only way Zach could describe the scene before him. The man attempted to fight back but was utterly destroyed by a small child less than half his height. With the ceremony now over and the "Goddess" taken back into her quarters, likely to start the "Cleansing" soon again; Zach started to return to his room to see if there was any sort of plan he could come up with that didn't involve him ceasing the ever wondrous process of living.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bobbing waves, the limited space, the constant seasickness; Synthia had enough of it. Once they arrived in port she tramped out of the belly of the ship, Phyllis’s reigns in hand, and practically ran down the ramp to dry land. It was so wonderful to have dirt under her feet again, she could just kiss it. No, wait, that would be gross. She decided kissing it wasn’t such a great idea.

The goal of her current mission was to procure some remedy for her motion sickness and avoid the boat as long as possible. She had heard from one of the sailors that ginger root could help landlubbers with the first problem problem. So, having borrowed Valter’s horse, she began to ride off towards the market.

----

Valter, though still sick, was starting to recover. His fever had gone down and he was taking a nap in one of the lower rooms.

As she headed back to the ship Robin passed by a stall containing various cuts of meat. A butchers shop to be exact. She quickly turned to head inside. She didn't need 'much' meat for this meal, just enough to ensure that everyone knew that the meat was not a minor part of it. However, the broth and other items would make up the majority of the food anyways. Buying a leg of venison and slinging it over her back she returned to the ship proper. Most of the people seemed to be gone or busy with their own things, which was likely good. The only person she could think of who might be willing to interrupt would be Gytha's cat, and she doubted the woman would leave the animal unattended like that for so long.

<Maybe I should just take the opportunity and fly around anyway.> John concluded after a while. It certainly was better than waiting around, flying or otherwise. And so they now moved towards the town itself.

<Hmm, this place looks mostly unchanged, I wonder if that Arena is still around. Well, time to find out.>

"Hmm... I think I'm done for now. I'm also gettin kinda hungry. Wanna go eat and maybe... I dunno, go to that arena looking thing and check that out?" As she was asking Faatina, Hannah was directed back towards the ship where she descended slowly.

"I..." Dude, just take the free meal. This is no time to be all bashful and shy and noble or whatever you're thinking of being. She's offering food. She may ask for a favor, so watch out for that, but I'd say an actually good meal out-ways a potential debt. "If you really... don't mind it, I'd like to take you up on that offer."

Veronika

"Our group...is what it is," she said resignedly, the thought occurring to her that a more homogeneous group may be easier to organize.

"Well, sounds like we have plans for our next destinations then. When is the Leverager leaving port?" Veronika asked Captain Bogdan.

Cloe and Clara

"That guy's specialty is gathering information right? He could come in handy...if he ever shows up," Cloe said, seeing that Thadeus seemed to have resigned himself to the surroundings for the time being.

"Oh well uh, glad I'm not a mage then!" Clara said to Colin with a nervous laugh, simultaneously flattered and surprised at this compliment. "So what do people do around here when it's not mission time?" she asked him.

Synthia arrived in the market place no more than ten minutes later and began searching for a stall selling medicines or spices. She soon found one and began examining its wares. Truth be told, she had no idea what ginger looked like, but the shopkeeper pointed her towards a basket of large roots. She was rummaging through it when she felt something brush by her. She looked up and glared at the child running through the marketplace before picking through the ginger again.

It wasn’t until a moment later when she tried to pay that she realized what had happened. Her purse, and all 200 gold she was carrying with her was gone. “That damn kid...” she muttered. She returned the spice and crossed her arms, trying to think of what to do. He was long gone by now.

The shopkeeper noticed his stewing customer and had a pretty good idea of what had happened. “What, been pickpocketed?” he asked. She just looked frustrated in response. He laughed. “A few blocks from here there’s an alley. A couple of street children hang out there.”

“Which direction?” she asked, already mounting Phyllis.

The shopkeeper pointed down the street, to the left. “Down that way. Take a right at the jewelry stall, can’t miss it. Be sure to return when you’ve got your money!” he called to the departing figure.

Mireille grunted in frustration at the blank pages on her note book. Her war against writers block was going poorly and that frustrated her. For a knight, there was no such thing as surrender, the main strategy was to tackle her foe head on and turn aside their blows with her faith in her armour. But against an enemy as elusive and persistent as writer's block, such tactics fail miserably. Closing the book, she stood up to change her surrounding through the most mundane mean as possible. Simple walking.

The Ursian girl did not get far before she saw a familiar face rush past her on horseback. Was that the mage from Raquel's group? Deciding she had nothing better to do, and perhaps some talks about magic might act as a source of inspiration for writing, Mireille turned to follow Synthia. Thankful that she was not wearing one of those proper gowns that sported ridiculously long and puffy skirts, Mireille gave chase to the mage, feeling excited as she ran. Even if she would not catch up, she decided that the attempt itself would be enough to banish away some of her frustration. Or at least she would be too tired to remain frustrated.

B-o-r-e-d...maybe I should just get off the ship, thought the Kigenese mage on top of the Leverager. He had finished reading through another puzzling chapter in Stormcalmer and was not willing to study anymore. Some sights and sounds might be a good idea for the mage, or so he thought as he got off the ship.

So Bert's already flown away, that means no flying today. Might as well check the marketplace, might have something worth looking into, thought Ranyin. Then an idea struck him. Learning to utilise magic and actually practicing it were two separate matters. With great eagerness, the short Kigenese mage made his way to what seemed like a quiet alleyway near the market place

Perfect, no one to accidentally bump into, thought Ranyin as he readied his spell, the one that Bert had suggested he try out to make Riz fly faster. First he would need to know how it felt like when being subject to it before trying it out on others. Gathering the magical energy, Ranyin shaped the wind to make a slight jerk. With too much force.

The Kigenese mage was sharply propelled forward, and Ranyin's mind was too scrambled with the thoughts of being a splat on some floor beating down harshly on the thoughts broadcasting into his mind about the needs to slow his propulsion. Then out of the corner in front of him came a shape which he collided into...and then he saw rainbow coloured pegasi flying around a bright white back drop.

Thunk. A head collided with another head, sending a young boy and bag of money clattering to the ground. “Ow...” Torin mumbled as he sat up, then realizing he had dropped the money, frantically searched for the bag. It was right next to him. The boy sighed in relief.

As Torin stood up and dusted himself off he looked over the mage he had knocked to the ground. Well, ma always said he had a hard head. It took just a moment to relieve Ranyin of his goods and dash off before the mage knew what hit him. Unfortunately for Torin, it wasn’t fast enough to miss the gust of wind barreling towards him. As he tumbled into the dirt he caught a glimpse of a girl running towards him.

Synthia was livid. She had arrived as he was robbing Ranyin and had run into the alley, leaving Phyllis in the street. She now stood over Torin, brandishing her staff. “Return my money now, or I swear I’ll-“

“No!” Torin pleaded. He covered his head protectively with one hand and tossed her purse away with the other. “Please don’t hit me!”

She picked up her gold, giving the thief a glare. “Ranyin’s too.” Another clatter of gold and the second purse was in her hand. After pocketing both bags (she’d give Ranyin’s back later) she grabbed the thief by the collar and began pulling him out of the alley.

The kid was terrified. When a girl twice your size who just threatened your life with a stick starts pulling you away to destinations unknown, you’d be pretty scared too. Torin struggled and tried to writhe away, but he was no match for Synthia’s iron grip. She obviously had experience dragging younger siblings around. Unable to get away, he instead began yelling. “Stop! Ow! Where’re you taking me? Leggo!”

“Shut up and stop squirming,” Synthia replied. “I’m taking you to the authorities.”

Torin only struggled harder. “NO! They can’t take me too! GAAAH!”

Raquel

"Well the crew deserves a rest and some time to mourn those we did lose in that battle. After tomorrow, though, we're only waiting on the ship repairs. Two days if the shipwrights and the people on their payroll do their jobs quickly. The Utka's quarterdeck and aft were badly damaged ..." Bogdan explained. He then added "Three days is my best guess."

"I'm not sure what we should do in that time. I can do a bit of trading since this is a major port, but three days of that is going to drive even me up the wall, and I don't exactly look the part, so I doubt I can get my hands on anything really useful to us." Raquel spoke up.

"Money is always useful. Enter one of the tournaments at the arena. Tremere's through traffic is so thick, there are battles fought almost every day. Of course tournaments themselves are a little less common. People travel to this port from all over Sardius, as well, so you might even run into someone who can help you get in touch with this Weyland fellow." Wait, Weyland? Seth Weyland? Their intent seems good enough, but what of his? Perhaps it is just business for them. Hard to believe the people helping me rescue dragons for the empire work for the man designing death machines for the Ursian military. Also a bit sad. It reminds me of how many people could be our allies if not for the petty squabbles between religious bigots and shortsighted morons.

Gabbie

"Good~ Just one thing, though. I can't trust Connor to take a break from his experiments to eat, so I'm gonna grab him too in a second, here." Gabbie noted to herself that after scooping up Connor, there would be one last outstanding issue to address; what was she going to eat, today? The local cuisine of the region was 'okay', but she wasn't misleading Raquel or Veronika earlier. She preferred food she could eat with her bare hands. Forks, knives, spoons, plates, bowls, coasters and tea cups were better for stationary eating and Gabbie preferred to be able to grab her food and run or fly with it. Old habits never die ...

Cecily and Org

"I'm still not sure if he's actually 'good' at gathering information. I don't know a whole lot about information brokers. It seems like they just have a bunch of moles everywhere sending them reports. Sounds a little lazy overall, but I guess gathering information on things happening all over the country isn't exactly a one man job, either." Cecily figured.

Meanwhile in le tavern~ ...

"Colin spends all his time hitting on Silvia over there" Hayato answered for the man, getting a glare in response.

"And Hayato spends all his time trying to cheer up Sardis. All of that back patting and 'it's not your fault'. I've never seen a lovelier couple. Honestly." Colin remarked, getting a glare from Hayato this time.

Darksider: Arrival

I must bare the persona of power. I must not embarrass the girls or make them think we're pushovers. No, we were sent by Layla herself, and are not to be trifled with! I think ... While Simon mused, his horse continued carrying him toward the abandoned down in the valley. It was at the bottom of the hill they were heading down from, and a few figures were in view. Sentries, snipers, the works. True numbers unknown. Safe to say this town is anything but abandoned. I dare say this is the command center for all Ursian based operations. Or perhaps even headquarters of the entire organization ... on second thought, that might be a bit much. This place isn't very defensible. An abandoned fortress would work much better ... unless this is a mining town ... then they could have headquarters set up deep underground or in the mountains somewhere. Blast it, I need more information about this place.

The same man that greeted the three sisters greeted him, as well. "Who are you?" he asked, looking like he wouldn't believe Simon's reply no matter what it was.

"Have you not heard? Fool, I am the legend-oh wait ..." Simon cut off his rhetoric so he could get his hood back on. "I am the legendary Darksider! Acolyte of the Goddess of night, and terror to all who behold my power!"

"... okay, what ... the hell ..."

"Y-you don't ... know who I am?" Simon asked, his bravado fading quickly and his fingers poking together a few times

"I know who you are ... a dead man if you don't cut the crap." the man shot back with a pointing his own finger at the shaman.

Oh dear, the threat of violence. What to do ... "The sisters! Inform the incredibly skilled and talented sisters of my arrival! They will be pleased to know I have caught up to them."

"I question their intelligence, then. Stay right here. I'll send word." the man ordered before turning to head for the tavern. There were ... a hell of a lot more snipers than Simon realized. About ten more. They weren't all in plain view from the hilltop outside of town. Definitely a hidden base of operations ... Simon mused as a drop of sweat ran down the side of his face.

Person

"In fact, you do not. That is why I was hoping to make you a very good offer. I do not expect one to part with a pegasus so easily." the man nervously replied, fiddling with his hands the whole time.

At this point, the townsman was just getting on Norbert's nerves, which was really only safe if you could best him in combat. The pegasus rider turned Riz somewhat so he could more accurately look the man in the eye, going so far forward as to be leaning on his own forearm, placed at Rizen's shoulder, giving the buyer a hard, steady glare as he did so. "You don't look like you can fight, so I'll give you this fair warning: I am not nor will I ever be interested in selling this pegasus. If you make one more attempt to buy her from me, I will become very irritated. And if that happens, I cannot guarantee you will walk away unharmed. Now, the only reason I'm being so patient with you is because I think you don't understand how important this pegasus is to me and I don't think you know just who I am or even are able to tell I don't have a very good temper," he answered, keeping his voice quiet and his tone wasn't sharp, but it certainly was dripping with his threats.

Norbert slowly rose back in the saddle, keeping his glare on the man as he returned to a normal position, then added more casually, "I will give you this: you have a good eye. Riz is an excellent pegasus." He paused, then added as an aside, "Thank you for the information." Then, he began riding towards the arena to learn more about it from someone who actually worked there.

"Oh, that sounds good!" Faatina replied when Aneda brought up going for food or perhaps the arena.

"I think we should eat first. It would be best not to go to an arena hungry."

The cheers and chants from the cultists died down after the prisoner was executed, and the Goddess was brought back to her chambers. The Director smiled at another successful ritual.

"Continue with your duties, O' followers of the Goddess! I will have something to discuss with you later on today, so please do not wander too far. Also, I would like Seventh Circle Zachary to meet me in my chambers shortly." The Director announced, exiting his special seat and towards his chambers.

'What in the world could The Director want from me....... No, no he couldn't have found out about my plans. I haven't spoken a word to anybody about this or written anything down. Maybe he just has an assignment for me?'

Trying to prepare himself for whatever was waiting for him in The Director's room Zachary knocked on the door and waited a few moments before entering.

"7th Circle Zachary reporting for duty Mr. Director. What am I needed for sir?" Spoke Zach when he had entered the room

'Oh soon you piece of shit, so very soon you won't be around to hurt anyone else. If I get to kill you myself that will be even better.'

"Ah, hello there, Zachary. Please sit down." The Director said, pouring more wine. No reason not to finish the bottle today, it was already quite dwindled.

"Would you like a glass?" Cervantes offered.

'After what I've seen today I could certainly use a drink, the third time I've seen an execution like that and it still messes with me.'

"Thank you sir" said Zach as he accepted the wine glass and took a sip.

'Man, this is some very expensive wine. Shouldn't be expecting the cheap stuff from as rich a guy as he is though....... I really need to see If I can find a good bottle of Neviskotian Vodka around here.'

Getting back to the business at hand Zach spoke "So what need do you have of me sir?"

"Yes, that. Our wonderful... benefactors at Org have called upon us to... dispose of a Miss Raquel Valcyn and her troupe of fighters. Simply enough, it is your job to bring them into the main hall of the manor so that we may dispose of them." The Director said, taking a long drink from his wine. His cheeks were rosy, and his voice somewhat slurred, it was plainly obvious he had been drinking for a while yet.

"Here, everything you should need will be in this file." The Director added, passing Zach a folder with some sheets of paper inside, that he had another cultist compile during the execution.

"Do whatever you need to to get them here, I'm putting my faith in you, Zachary." The Director concluded, taking down the rest of his glass of wine with a flourish, and a slight chuckle.

She did not get far...wait is she attacking a boy? Mireille ran faster to catch up to Synthia, now that she had finally dismounted. By the time she was near enough to hear what was going on, all she could see was Synthia dragging a little boy and Ranyin lying unconscious on the floor. She did not know what had transpired but she decided to jump to the worst conclusion possible.

"Cease your cruel actions this very moment mage!" Mireille shouted out with one hand balled into a fist and her legs spread slightly apart for balance in case of a fight if needed. She was not in her armour, and her lance was on the ship. Now was certainly not a good time to prove the pen is mightier than the sword figuratively, hence she kept her writing instruments in her bag. "Now unhand the poor fellow and confess of your misdoings of harming the weak and you shall be forgiven."

She was a knight...and knights must always protect the weak. Those were the thoughts that were clouding her judgement.

Mireille the super knight appeared, and Synthia was at a loss for words. Then she found some. “What the hell are you talking about? This kid stole my money; I just caught him robbing that mage too,” she said, lifting Torin further for emphasis. Who did this lady think she was? She was.. Oh, wait. Synthia recognized her. She was part of Raquel’s group. “If you really want to help, wake up Ranyin. I’m taking this kid to the authorities.”

Torin saw his last chance at freedom quickly slipping away... “Please, lady, help me! Look, I’ll even pay you!” he said, holding out a bag of gold.

Synthia’s eyes widened as she patted the pocket that held her purse. “W-what? How did you... Give that back!” She tried to snatch the bag, but Torin kept moving it out of reach. She stomped on his foot and snatched it away as he flinched. Pocketing the purse once again, she returned to Mireille. "If you would be so kind as to step out of the way?"

"I could go for anything, do you got any sorta food you want in particular?" Aneda asked as Hannah came to a gradual stop on the ship where they took off. "As for the arena... I don't know if it's such a good idea, actually... I mean, I'll go if you wanna go but I'm not... I'm not interested for some reason. It kinda seems like it's not something that should be approached casually, and that doesn't sit well with me. Don't get me wrong, I take fighting seriously, but not to the point of making a sport out of it. Again... if you go I'll go, since you and I make a pretty nice, and cute I might add, team~."

"Connor... Connor... You know, I don't think I've spoken to him at all. Not at any sort of length anyway. He's an alchemist or whatever, right? I heard something like that... Anyway, the more the merrier if you're ok with it." Company and food? Davod wasn't gonna turn it down. It sure beat his lonely dinners of the olden days....

The duo flew across the town in their way to the arena. As they flew by, John occasionally glanced downwards. He knew some of the group were somewhere, but considering the overall town size and the fact that many of the streets were crowded, he doubted he would be able to spot them.

<Well, I suppose it's straight to the Arena then.> John thought. <Though, once I get there... nah, maybe just as an spectator. Although, considering who knows who long Raquel will take in her talk with the Captain...> Yeah, not too much for idling it seems.

Soon they were flying over a marketplace, filled with people as usual. John glanced down as usual, passing over the place and an alley, which in passing made something caught up.

''Stop Gil!'' He suddenly spoke. And Gil, not expecting this sudden order, made an abrupt halt. And then promptly grunted.

''Sorry about that.'' He turned back over in the direction of the alley they had passed. <Did those were...?> He ordered Gil to turn and flew back a little.

Yeah, they were. Some of them and some kid it seems, which Synthia had a hold on. <What's going on here?> He wondered. Well, only one way to find out, and so the duo flew towards them, though considering it was an alley, it was probably best to land outside or stay airborne just above them.

"Nothing in particular I suppose, though I want something that they didn't have in Sanctuary." Faatina replied, stretching a bit, being able to not have to hold on for dear life anymore.

"I just want to check it out really. If you don't want to go, I'm not going to force you to." Faatina added, seeing Aneda's enthusiasm drop at mention of the arena. It took her a few moments to notice the latter half of Aneda's comment.

"W-wha?! What do you, I... you think... " Faatina stuttered slightly, a light pink flush gracing her face.

'She's just teasing me, right? This is the sort of thing Aneda does... right?'

Veronika

"Well, fighting is what most of us are good at and extra money never hurt. More use than just sitting around," Veronika said. "Though maybe you have other matters you should be attending to while you have the time Raquel. Matters of an...emblematic nature," she said, deciding that it would probably be in Captain Bogdan's own best interest not to get involved. The other person we told about the emblem got his estate attacked...working with us isn't really a safe move. she concluded.

Cloe and Clara

"Well...we're the moles now I guess. Time to get to work," Cloe said, exiting the stables and heading towards the tavern. Another man headed towards the tavern as well- another employee she figured.

"Oh," Clara said, somewhat disapprovingly at Hayato's revelation. Colin's compliment seemed a bit more hollow now.

Remembering what her mission was again she decided to inquire. "So, what isn't Sardis's fault again?" she asked, attempting to sound innocently curious.

Realising the error in her judgement, Mireille immediately bowed her head in shame. As she was about to apologise to Synthia, the thief's words stung at her pride.

"You seek to purchase my services criminal?! Do you not know that a knight is honour bound to protect the weak? It is not for mere pay we do our duties criminal. We stand tall and proud in the battlefield to take the blow that mean our comrades harm and ask for no thanks or rewards other than for our comrade to live longer, or perform their duties flawlessly. You have wounded my pride as a knight with your careless words!" Mireille exploded. Then with practiced ease, her hand shot forward, as if she were thrusting a spear and grabbed onto the boy's arm tightly, with the death grip she was trained to never let go of her lance and shields. It would serve her well for the current task she sought to entrust upon herself.

"Mage...I apologise for...erm," Mireille looked at her feet briefly as she swallowed her pride. Her grip did not waver however. "I'm sorry to have mistaken you for a criminal and thus seek your forgiveness. Perhaps I can perhaps redeem myself by aiding you in ensuring this criminal does not escape? That way you can perhaps tend to the unconcious mage over there...for I have no skills in magical healing."

Just their luck, the general area near the entrance of the alley was empty enough for Gil to land, to which they did. Something was happening alright, so it was time to find out.

''Hey guys!'' John called, still mounted. ''What's going on here?''

Miri seemed to realize her mistake and was pretty offended by the kid’s offer. Synthia gladly handed him over. “Thanks,” she said. “Uh, yeah, it’s fine. You watch him, I’ll check on Ranyin...” She walked over to the downed mage and began to poke at him with her staff when Torin started babbling again.

“Um. I’m sorry miss, I didn’t know you were a knight. Uh. But, you could help me, right?! I mean, you said you’re honor bound to protect the weak! I need the money, see, because of my brother. There were these guys, right? And they took him! Um, so I need the money...” He was rambling now, desperately trying to make the girl release his arm. It was a losing battle, really.

Synthia rolled her eyes. The kid was probably making stuff up to try to get to get out of trouble. She was just healing Ranyin’s head when a wyvern landed nearby and John called to them. It seemed the entire group was attracted to this spot or something... “The kid’s a pickpocket,” she replied to John. “I don’t know what happened to Ranyin, I think he may have hit his head.”