DLC Art

Kuki

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, right, I heard about those. Any idea where to buy ones that will work with a Japanese 3DS? Or for that matter, how to use them?

Looked around for a bit, but I didn't find anything. As Celice said, a credit card should work just fine.

I'm fine with all the boys that've been released. Marth and Leaf are by far my favorite of the bunch. The girls have been.... less than stellar.

Agreed.

I'm gonna go through all of them (too lazy to edit)

Marth:

6/10 Looks kinda like a girl, I like the Shadow Dragon look a lot more. Aside from that, it does look nice though.

Roy:

9/10 Complelely awesome, although it is almost a complete redesign from his normal art. That would be a Lord I would like on my team..

Alm:

8/10 Half of us don't even know who he is.. (one of the Gaiden lords, right?) but aside from that, he looks cool. One of the better ones.

Leaf:

7/10 I'm not sure about the face.. everything else is great. Good to have someone from his area.

Michaiah:

2/10 By far my least favorite so far. Ughh... it just looks all wrong. The face, body, position.. I could go on and on. The clothes are okay besides being a bit revealing however.

Elincia:

6/10 After Michaiah, I was worried what it would look like, but it was good. The helmet doesn't fit her (It would be cool on someone else, though), She uses LANCES (?) And her legs are a little... yeah.

If/When an NA release comes, I'm going to expect Marth, Roy, Michaiah, Elincia, and instead of Alm and Leaf, Ike and another Tellius character.. could be anyone from Sephiran to Ranulf, really.

EDIT: I would like to see Lyn or someone from that game. Oops.

Edited by Melonhead215

"Celice is a girl name, so this character is a girl, right?"

And then Celice gained endowments

Bmuxl.png

why haven't they criminalised the act of me image-manipulating yet

Marth: Looks cool, lost his pants though. D: But I guess it was to make it match to the battle models more.

Roy: Looks pretty badass now, but looks almost nothing like the original. His head will forever bug me

Leaf: My favorite, I just love how well the style and colors work.

Alm: Armor detail and design is pretty awesome, shading is well done, but dat 7 year old face.

Miccy: Why is her face stuck on Sariya's body

Elincia: I like her design, but it really doesn't work with FE. horn helmet yes

I like what IS is doing with the DLCs, varying the art styles and trying to portray the different characters.

My ranking goes Elincia, Roy, Alm, Leaf, Marth, and Micaiah. Feels like I'm missing someone, but comparing them, I like Elincia's most so far and dislike Micaiah's. Micaiah's really had no redeeming features for me, and it was incredibly... well, wrong, in pretty much every way. If we get artwork that I dislike more than hers, I'll be shocked, since Micaiah pretty much has an effective 0/10 for me. Albeit, I'm not someone who would really like females in that way, so no doubt that doesn't help since that's part of why she was designed that way. Elincia, on the other hand, has a very nice design. Personally don't get the comments on how it doesn't fit FE. It's a bit more exotic than some, but I don't think it's so out there that I couldn't see something like it in a game. For the most part the males just run the gambit of up and down. Roy or Alm is pretty close, as is Leaf even. Really, Marth is the only one I really don't like, I like some of his older designs quite a bit more.

Things I like about each:

Marth: Senri Kita <3 Overall it's just a pretty solid piece. I can't really see any major anatomical flaws, but then again, my eye is not perfect. Always loved Senri Kita's colouring, too. Standard standing pose is always a good, safe bet, as well. Makes Marth look noble.

Roy: Suddenly a wimp like Roy actually looks cool, what is this. OMG pose.

Leaf: Sachiko Wada's the FE8 artist right? I've always loved that colouring style. Since forever. Leaf looks pretty cool as a trickster, too. Also diggin' the pose.

Alm: That armour * u*

Micaiah: The colouring is pretty nice. I feel the artist has a really good sense of lighting, too.

Elincia: I actually kinda like the belts *waits for being murdered* and I really appreciate the artist for making a creative design for her. I actually do like the headdress, although I think it's more suitable for a draco, and I think the scarf looks pretty cool. And the lance. I also like that she's in a standard standing pose.

Things I dislike about each:

Marth: DNE

Roy: The hair flow bothers me. It doesn't flow properly so the back of the head looks kinda bulgy.

Leaf: Far foot looks a bit flat but it could just be angles. I'm not the biggest expert on angles anyway so it's a super minor point at most.

Alm: Babyface and why is he so skinny

Micaiah: Anatomical errors up the fuck + outfit not having enough creativity + pose. I understand they're trying to make her fit dark mage, but they could, you know, at least bling it out, change around the colours, do something other than cut a hole out of something directly out of Sariya's wardrobe and tie two ribbons there :x I find that kinda lazy of the design and not very creative at all. Not even a palette-swap, really?

Elincia: God how small is that waist and basically the bottom half of the design just looks kinda ridiculous. Still, I appreciate the effort, though.

Overall in terms of how much they suit my personal tastes

Marth>Leaf>Roy=Alm>Elincia>Micaiah.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Leaf is perfect, I love Sachiko Wada's art style wub.gif

I am a bit disappointed with Marth and Roy, Senri Kita and Kimihiko Fujisaka usually do a better work IMHO... (Why Roy ? Why not Lyndis ? Fujisaka can draw such nice ladies...)

Alm is okay, way better than his FE2 official art, of course... Micaiah looks like a random doujin and Elincia looks like a Saint Seiya character (which is not a compliment).

I'd really like Amano (old FF) or Kou/You Yoshinari (Valkyrie Profile) to work on a character, even if they are not "Fire Emblem-esque"...

The artist I really want would look so out of place here, haha

I specifically want Takehiko Inoue's Vagabond style for Sigurd, but that style is semi-realistic and doesn't fit with the stylised animeish artwork. But it'd be really cool if he did get commissioned to do one. I can dream right

That and there's a few FE fanartists on pixiv whose work I think would look great on DLC, but they aren't some famous artist in Japan so it wouldn't fit into this new marketing scheme Nintendo's doing.

Micaiah's is lazy and her face creeps me out to no end. Everyone else is pretty cool, though Marth's wasn't as big of a shock seeing as that outfit was already in-use in the game. Don't feel like going further into detail. I just love how people are complaining about the new designs AFTER defending the default designs for the new characters after the initial announcement.

That outta the way, the Soul Calibur artist needs to draw one of the future DLCs. ... Takuji Kawano was it?

Edited by The Blind Archer

So far, I like all of them to some extent..

Marth: His design is amazing, but if i'm correct, Yusuke Kozaki didn't do the DLC art for Marth, so the design would essentially be thanks to him..

Roy: TOTALLY badass. They really stepped up his design. FE kind of suffers from a lot of characters looking incredibly similar (Hector, Eliwood, Ike, Roy, etc.. all have a really generic layout to their design), so the differentiation is really appreciated.

Leaf: I loved the artist from Sacred Stones, so naturally the art for Leaf is great too. His change wasn't particularly radical, but the original design wasn't too bad anyway.

Alm: Alm looked like shit originally. His old art really looks like a 12 year olds attempt at anime.. it's not hard to step up his design. I'm not crazy about the new one, but it's certainly not bad. Just not my style, I guess?

Micaiah: The proportions are pretty horrendous, as pretty much everyone has noted, but the actual design isn't that bad. It just seems to be a hint towards the dark mage class in the game, which is fine anyway. It would benefit more with a different artist.

Elincia: The amount of flair matches the new Roy design, but I don't think they captured her personality really well at all. Seems to "magical girl sakura"-ish to me, as opposed to queen like.. Still not bad, though, just different.

I am particularly looking forward to Ephraim and Ike. I'm sure they'll both make it in, but i'd love to see their updated designs.

Time to spark controversy for being different :newyears:

I don't like Roy's the most actually, but it's just because it looks absolutely nothing like him, not art style or anything. I think the only thing his DLC art shares with his other art is the hair color, and even then it's kinda the wrong shade. But I guess I'm just nitpicking here because he DOES look badass.

What I don't get is why everyone hates Miciah's art. The only issue I've seen so far is the body posture is weird (and revealing clothes but hey, fanservice), but it's not as if a million different animes haven't done that before. It just seems to be a really flimsy excuse to hate on her art. It's actually one of my favorites, because I really appreciate the style the artist used. That and it actually has a background. The coloring is really amazing and something I can only hope to achieve someday, and the shading is superb. This looks less like promotional art, and more like one of the prettiest fan arts on the internet. You all hate, but me likes.

Oh yeah, and no nose, but that seems to be more like a design thing.

Now, that Elincia chick on the other hand, how in high hells does she run in that thing if the fabric around her legs is attached to her boots?

Time to spark controversy for being different :newyears:

I don't like Roy's the most actually, but it's just because it looks absolutely nothing like him, not art style or anything. I think the only thing his DLC art shares with his other art is the hair color, and even then it's kinda the wrong shade. But I guess I'm just nitpicking here because he DOES look badass.

What I don't get is why everyone hates Miciah's art. The only issue I've seen so far is the body posture is weird (and revealing clothes but hey, fanservice), but it's not as if a million different animes haven't done that before. It just seems to be a really flimsy excuse to hate on her art. It's actually one of my favorites, because I really appreciate the style the artist used. That and it actually has a background. The coloring is really amazing and something I can only hope to achieve someday, and the shading is superb. This looks less like promotional art, and more like one of the prettiest fan arts on the internet. You all hate, but me likes.

Oh yeah, and no nose, but that seems to be more like a design thing.

Now, that Elincia chick on the other hand, how in high hells does she run in that thing if the fabric around her legs is attached to her boots?

The art for Micaiah shows that the artist is ridiculously good at coloring and shading things both technically well, and smoothly, but the proportions of her art suffer. Micaiah looks very stiff, and isn't in a natural pose. The torso is too short, the breasts are way too rounded to look natural (I only point that out because it's a focal point..), and the legs are VERY uncomfortable. As far as skill goes, those are the faults with the art..

I think what people dislike the most, though, is the face.. FE has pretty serious overtones to it, so when you have a super-moe looking character with big, huge round eyes and no nose (which reflects a Chibi nature), it kind of detracts from the feel.

The design itself isn't bad at all, and you're right, the coloring is amazing, but you can tell that the artist isn't rounded enough in their skill. Though, I think at the end of it, people are just making a bigger deal about it than they actually feel. I don't think anyone's hardcore raging, just a bit dissapointed in the result.

And, as always, you are quite titled to your own opinion~ In a way, you end up winning in the end, because you got something that you like, while others didn't :P

Recently started looking at each new character next to their old art and wow...It does a lot for your perspective as to how much they resemble (or not) their previous incarnation. Marth, in particular, looks completely normal and not really effeminate at all (or at least not more so than his previous appearances)

My fave is Micaiah's since people are pretty damn stupid about these kinds of things.

Least would be Elincia's because people like that one more even though it makes her look like a tramp.

If any of you take this post seriously I'm gonna throw my (⌐■_■) at you. (⌐■_■)

Roy -I don't like roy's at all really. He's not supposed to look badass and that's exactly how he looks.

Alm - I don' t like Alm either while there is nothing really wrong with him its just really plain and plain may as well be bad in my eye's or worst as it doesn't stand out.

Elincia - I love her look just as much as her old one and even the helmet it doesn't look out of place at all especially for this FE. Still I think this version of her would work better with a different artstyle.

I don't really hate anyone else art as its either I like them or I never cared about them enough to hate.

Clamp doing some work for Fire Emblem would be amazing. Especially if that unit was a mage. They could make a pretty ba character art!

Despite being a CLAMP fan, I don't want FE characters turning into noodles.

Clamp art is do not want

Maybe design an outfit for, yes

Their style is just best off doing fashion design than anything else

teehee @ people bothered by artstyles

Any who. I'm hoping that IS gets Yuji Himukai to draw someone. That will be most good. Most good indeed. (⌐■_■)