FE6 menu editing

BBHood217

"Storage"?

"Conquer"?

"End"?

I really wanna change them. How do I do just that?

The easiest way I can think of is to use the FEditor text editor. Just search for the words and replace them, although "end" could bring some issues. There could be other better solutions however.

The easiest way I can think of is to use the FEditor text editor. Just search for the words and replace them, although "end" could bring some issues. There could be other better solutions however.

Text of ID 0x0CFE

End[X]

Text of ID 0x06B5

Storage[X]

Can't find the other instance for "End". Aka, dunno which one should be "wait" and which one should be "end".

Also, can't find "conquer" either.

You're gonna have to find someone to use a debugger... and I'm... sleepy.

Wow, that's really strange. I can't find all kinds of things that should be there, and actually the whole script is pretty strange, as in different types of text items are jumbled and weirdly ordered. The whole thing is chaotic, and I doubt it's even the TL group's fault (I mean why would they ASM-hack to reorder the entries in the text table?). All kinds of weird.

It's been a while since I did FE6, but are they graphics like the chapter titles? I would give it a quick runthrough.

EDIT: checked for you. All the main menu stuff and chapter titles are there, but not the menu. If my laptop hadn't died I'd use the translation table file I had to go and find out where it is...but I have to find the table first...

Edited by Felover3

I'm starting to wonder if we should just do FE6's translation patch all over again.

Actually, I think Popo is doing just that in another thread.

New post because shut up I found the manly way of making the text you want to change.

Essentially, what you need to do is go into your hex editor and

Change this line as needed: p0vit.png

To this, if you want it to read "seize"

B5IoO.png

Proof that it works:

COBua.png

Since I don't know if I am allowed to redistribute the translation table, that's what you need to change. If you want to change it to something else or another menu command, I'll let you know the process like this one. Remember what you change for this method must contain equal or lesser letters to the original. Also, this is a proof of concept post and should extrapolate to the other menu commands for the most part.

But if I'm allowed to actually redistribute the table, I'll go over the actual process to find this stuff and give you it so you can do it yourself :E

Edited by Felover3

• 2 weeks later...

Freaky. I searched the ROM for a pointer to that location (0x817510), and only found one, at 0x5c6f40 - nowhere near anything whose purpose is actually documented, AFAIK. Although that region of the ROM does seem to mostly contain pointers (including a bunch of nulls), but the pointers point to all over the place... mostly in the ROM, but there are some things that look like pointers to VRAM, too.

Also, the data you're editing is uncompressed (since you can just edit it directly like that), although it indeed looks like what I'd expect for uncompressed FE6 text. (Yes, you should be able to distribute the translation table; the same information is present in, for example, the FEditor source code.)

It's as if all the UI text is uncompressed and pointed to directly within some kind of bytecode used to create the UI, while the main text table (pointers to compressed text-data) just covers the story and support convos and stuff? o_O FE6 is weird.

Edited by zahlman