Hey, out of curiosity, when you guys watch a Let's Play...

...suppose a guy was voicing all of the characters, like the game doesn't feature any voice acting, but the man LPing it voices the dialogue. Now suppose that he actually does a really good job with all of the characters...including the females...

Would that actually be impressive? Or would that just be really creepy?

...suppose a guy was voicing all of the characters, like the game doesn't feature any voice acting, but the man LPing it voices the dialogue. Now suppose that he actually does a really good job with all of the characters...including the females...

My favourite LP'er sometimes does that... and yes, it's very impressive.

I prefer it if the male LPer just reads the female voices in a normal voice unless they can actually, realistically pull off a legit female voice. If he's just going to read it in a high pitched voice, then no.

Unless the LPer is a transwoman who has completed vocal therapy, you aren't going to get someone who can read male and female voices perfectly. The key to a proper female voice is resonance, not pitch. Its annoying when guys go falsetto because they think its pitch... Anyway. I don't mind if they are reading narrative sections themselves. I think that it can be annoying to have all the character's lines voiced, but things like the pre-chapter introductions in Fire Emblem I like to hear voiced, narrator style.

Depends on how well they can do the voices :V

I used to try

I obviously can't do it at all

so I stopped :U

If you're talking about MeganMageknight404, I think he does well enough with his voice.

I'm pretty sure I can pull off several female voices. At least I can in my mind's voice. Not sure how well that would translate to actually providing voice work. It'd probably be hilariously awesome. Aw yeah~

The key to a proper female voice is resonance, not pitch. Its annoying when guys go falsetto because they think its pitch...

And what's the proper way to get that resonance?

I watch Let's Plays for commentary. If one is reading the dialogue, I shut it off. Quickly.

What if they did both?

Edited by FionordeQuester

Unless the LPer is a transwoman who has completed vocal therapy, you aren't going to get someone who can read male and female voices perfectly. The key to a proper female voice is resonance, not pitch. Its annoying when guys go falsetto because they think its pitch... Anyway. I don't mind if they are reading narrative sections themselves. I think that it can be annoying to have all the character's lines voiced, but things like the pre-chapter introductions in Fire Emblem I like to hear voiced, narrator style.

I can pull off a pretty convincing female without resorting to falsetto :x

What if they did both?

Then it's detracting from the commentary, which is what I want. If it's too much, I'll stop watching. I don't generally watch things I don't enjoy, however: I'm not usually hearing someone do this. When they do (OCedMyToaster is the last one I can remember), it is usually in a concise paraphrase, littered with blahblahblahs where appropriate. I'm interested in the player's experience, something I doubt entails reading the lines aloud while they sit alone in a room.

Then it's detracting from the commentary, which is what I want. If it's too much, I'll stop watching. I don't generally watch things I don't enjoy, however: I'm not usually hearing someone do this. When they do (OCedMyToaster is the last one I can remember), it is usually in a concise paraphrase, littered with blahblahblahs where appropriate. I'm interested in the player's experience, something I doubt entails reading the lines aloud while they sit alone in a room.

So the player reading the dialogue is not part of their experience. Good to know.

Are you saying that your average experience of text involves you reading aloud, imitating accents, tonalities, and other nuances, all for your own amusement?

Congratulations, on if you do. It must be either very annoying (a habit you can't kick) or very enjoyable (to take that amount of time to do that).

Are you saying that your average experience of text involves you reading aloud, imitating accents, tonalities, and other nuances, all for your own amusement?

Congratulations, on if you do. It must be either very annoying (a habit you can't kick) or very enjoyable (to take that amount of time to do that).

Sometimes I get bored or feel like adding to the characters. It's actually quite fun. You should try it. The having fun part that is. (⌐■_■)

Not technically a LPer but what about Stephen Fry, with the HP audiobooks?

Sometimes I get bored or feel like adding to the characters. It's actually quite fun. You should try it. The having fun part that is. (⌐■_■)

It's generally not fun for me to hear, unfortunately.

I agree with Celice, generally. I don't get too bent out of shape if somebody is briefly joking about it or making a point about the writing, though, like if they were to say,

"look at this dialogue, listen to how this sounds -> [words] -> does that sound like something somebody would actually say?"

But if they're just reading the dialogue off as if from a cue card, I neither see the point nor find it enjoyable.

Edited by Rehab

For some players, it is...I personally don't do it except in very rare instances (SHOUT NOW, which isn't even a part of any game I know of anyway). I seem to remember that Shigesato Itoi, who developed the Mother series, said in some interview that he would read the text of Dragon Quest out loud like an announcer in battle.

Edited by Jet Black Gunner