Most revolutionary FE?

Espinosa

Which FE, would you say, has been most revolutionary in the series? I guess you could either understand this question as a FE game that provided the blueprint for the rest, or one that was most radically different from others, perhaps in some other ways.

I can see what the guy above me is saying, after the first 4 FEs we had ~90% of the elements used to this day. Within those though I am going to say that I consider Gaiden the most radical game of the series and will gladly argue my case to anyone who disagrees.

I don't really see how just being radically different is "revolutionary" if none of the revolution sticks - as the case with Gaiden. All it does is make Gaiden different, not make it leave its mark on the rest of the series.

Mentioning FE1 is kind silly considering the revolutionary value of it in terms of the FE series is ∞.

I'd say probably FE4 or 5 from the looks of things. My opinion of this is of course incomplete, as I've never played 2 or 3, but as a fan, read about it/know about it etc.

I don't really see how just being radically different is "revolutionary" if none of the revolution sticks - as the case with Gaiden. All it does is make Gaiden different, not make it leave its mark on the rest of the series.

The only thing from Gaiden that didn't really "stick" was the magic system. Everything else was reused.

The only thing from Gaiden that didn't really "stick" was the magic system. Everything else was reused.

Great, now what was uniquely special about Gaiden that was reused in other games that weren't Sacred Stones, let alone the rest of the series as a whole?

FE1, both in terms of plot and gameplay, has been the blueprint for the rest of the series. Thracia has been the most different gameplay-wise and Radiance Saga has been the most different story-wise.

EDIT: Actually, the most revolutionary FE in terms of plot has been FE7. It laid the groundwork for every FE to come after it (excepting the two remakes, of course). FE7 itself may have had a lousy plot, but at least it provided a framework for the games that came after it to improve upon.

Edited by General Banzai

Great, now what was uniquely special about Gaiden that was reused in other games that weren't Sacred Stones, let alone the rest of the series as a whole?

- Promotions for everyone (only cavaliers, mercenaries, mages, priests, archers and pegasus knights could promote in FE1), including the debut of Sages and Falcon Knights, as well as "lord" promotions

- Itemless promotions (FE4, FE10)

- Event promotions (FE5->)

- Multiple tier promotions (FE8, FE10)

- Branched promotions (FE8, FE13)

- Reclassing (FE11-13)

- Higher stat caps (FE4->)

- Free map (FE8, FE13)

- Multiple lord types (FE4/7/8/10...)

- Non-Lord class protagonists (FE10)

- Multiple armies (FE10)

- Weapon and magic-using classes (Priestess/Princess) (FE4/5/9/10/13)

- Dynamic experience gain (FE1/3 give fixed experience rewards based on class, FE2 was the first to consider levels in the calculation)

- Resire/Nosferatu

Not to mention inspiration (like how FE9/10's Reinforce is FE2's Illusion spell, FE8's Slayer is a Falcon Knight skill, Astra/Luna/Sol were special lances there, etc.)

Most of the games brought something new to the series with the exception of FE6-8, IMO. FE9 has some merit for the whole Base system (which I really liked), but FE6-8 are by far the least innovative/revolutionary.

Uh, reclassing?

Villagers who class change to Mercenary can basically reclass, as they can go back to Villager (and choose a different promotion - or even Merc again) after reaching Demon Fighter.

Most of the games brought something new to the series with the exception of FE6-8, IMO.

Though FE4 introduced support events, FE6 added regular support convos. It also added support levels (since support bonuses were static in FE3/5, and "family or bust" in FE4).

Edited by ThediusZanarukendo

Most of the games brought something new to the series with the exception of FE6-8, IMO. FE9 has some merit for the whole Base system (which I really liked), but FE6-8 are by far the least innovative/revolutionary.

Oh come on in what universe is FE7 not revolutionary in terms of story

Villagers who class change to Mercenary can basically reclass, as they can go back to Villager (and choose a different promotion - or even Merc again) after reaching Demon Fighter.

I think that's a pretty big stretch, especially since the Demon Fighter --> Villager "promotion" always struck me as an oversight on the part of IS. :\

I think that's a pretty big stretch, especially since the Demon Fighter --> Villager "promotion" always struck me as an oversight on the part of IS. :\

It'd have to be a pretty intentional oversight for that to happen to work out that way. Which, I mean, intentional and oversight aren't really consistent statements.

Street Fighter 2's combo system was originally a bug. Your point?

Oh come on in what universe is FE7 not revolutionary in terms of story

This is true, as bizarre the results were.

http://serenesforest.net/fe2/classchange.html

According to this, the Demon Fighter --> Villager promotion has special rules, being the only one to decrease a base stat instead of just increasing it. So it sounds like it probably had to be set up purposefully.