Julius and Loptous merged together rather than Loptous just posessing him, right?

Retsudo

I think Julius had been taken over by Loptous in the same way that Levin had been taken over by Holsety. It was definitely more than possession, though we don't seem to get many hints as to how Julius was before he had the Loptous tome.

Well I'm less familiar with the FE4 script but in Thracia Julius is superbly bipolar especially in his interactions with Ishtar.

Bipolar might not be the right word.

Perhaps comparing Julius to D.I.D, Dissociative Identity Disorder. Two minds in one body. Each take control from each other in certain moments and have their own distinct opinions and personalities.

I think loptous took full control of Julius by endgame notice he doesn't seem to give a shit about Ishtar anymore and is completely fine with her leaving on a mission she won't come back from . I think loptous was slowly consuming Julius' personality is time went on until very little of the the original Julius remained .

I think the above sounds about right. Yurius acted as a vessel, and as Loptous was closer to being birthed, simply consumed the host.

At the very least, I think Yurius was in far more control earlier than later.

After seeing Manfroy's claims to Celice about the success of his plan ("The God of Darkness has finished descending into Lord Julius, and the world will soon be shrouded once more."), I interpret it as his actual full possession by Loptous not being complete until pretty much the last minute, around when the liberation army and Julia came to Barhara/Velthomer. Before then, we can only really speculate: Julia outright states that Julius was previously a decent enough kid and was changed for the worse from the moment he obtained the Loptous tome, so it's clear that even if the possession was not complete for several years, Loptous did have a strong influence on him right from the start (I mean come on the first thing he did was kill his mother and attempt to kill his sister because Naga).

The way I see it, Julius was still an autonomous individual with a clear sense of self for most of the time, except that that sense of self was shaped primarily by Loptous's influence, possibly increasingly so over the years as the possession slowly started to happen. He clearly recognised his family as being just that, but conversely didn't particularly care about them should they act as an obstacle. I'm not totally sure how the Ishtar relationship fits into all of this, though Julius certainly leaned toward being more human in his interactions with her (and admittedly I can't really see Loptous liking the idea of reproducing with a full-blooded Crusader descendant, so maybe that was all Julius and it wouldn't have continued when the possession completed).

Edited by Rhinocerocket

Actually, if the text is written in kana, that usually suggests a sense of foreignness in the speaker. Something non-human sometimes, but certainly something not normal. That jarring way of speaking can be translated as an all-cap sequence for the same effect.

Before then, we can only really speculate: Julia outright states that Julius was previously a decent enough kid and was changed for the worse from the moment he obtained the Loptous tome, so it's clear that even if the possession was not complete for several years, Loptous did have a strong influence on him right from the start (I mean come on the first thing he did was kill his mother and attempt to kill his sister because Naga).

The developers have also stated that there was supposed to be something like a third generation, and I think Yurius was supposed to be saved. Perhaps some of these design elements were left over by presenting Yurius as "pure" early on still? And it was only later that they decided he would be irrevocably consumed.

Come to think of it, where was Loptous before Julius touched the book?

Was the dragon somewhere inside of Julius and touching the book led to him consuming Julius? Was Loptous inside the book?

Assuming that Loptous did the same thing as Holsety, it's assumed that Loptous's will is in the tome. When Julius read the tome, that's when Loptous began to possess him. Touching the tome probably did nothing, but actually reading it most likely was the cause. So yes, Loptous is or was inside the book, just like how Holsety and Naga are in their self-named tomes.