PA man arrested

Flying Shogi

Saying that word "diversity" is defined by having multiple races is one of the most ignorant and stupid things I've ever heard. "Diversity" encompasses so much more than race. Yes, race can be a part of it, but there are countless other factors that can be taken into account.

In the context that it was used, Asia is still a RACIALLY diverse continent. That's not even taking into account anything else like ethnicity, gender and the countless other aspects that make a diverse population.

bla bla list of countries bla

you forgot singapore

which is ridiculously diverse as fuck because like 1/3 of the country is foreigners, idk

and that shit about 4 main languages

lol

There are three South Koreans at my school, and they don't strike me as at all racist. Well, there's one that I know isn't a big fan of the Japanese, but that's the extent of it, and that's not so much race as nationalism. Mind you, looking at 15-17 year olds is generally not indicative of a whole country. By far most of the teenagers I know are pro-gay marriage, yet it definitely won't have the overall support of my region any time soon.

I know of a chinese "friend of a friend," and my friend said that she has a fanatical hatred of the japanese despite being an otherwise nice person. He represented her as literally believing them to be subhumans. I'm not claiming this is common among the Chinese, and it's also probably true that tensions between China and Korea and Japan have a lot to do with nationalist/humanitarian reasons rather than racial ones (specifically due to Japan's presence in Asia proper during WWII).

I can attest to that most of the hatred towards Japanese in China, at least, is due to some of the atrocities the Japanese army committed in China during WWII. While I myself does not hold such sentiments (I believe the army and government is to be blamed for this and not the entire nation, and I do wish the Japanese government would issue a formal apology, though I haven't been in touch with Chinese news lately) I know that many of my relatives do, especially the older ones that may have been born closer to, or are children during the Nanjing Massacre.

I can't speak for Korea as I'm not Korean, but I'm Chinese and I lived in China for about half of my life so I can speak for that.

Edited by Fat Bunny

Right. Whenever anyone says "asian" these days, they really mean "those people with slanty eyes." Which is moronic; that was the underlying point I was obviously making.

To bad it's still correct in some cases, but hey, places like England consider Chinese people to be different from Asians.

Source? Link? Anything to give us an example of where these places you've "seen" and "heard" this information? Because just putting it like this without even a single source to back it up just reeks of bias and unnecessariness. How many countries are there in the world?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_South_Korea (Article about the Hussain case mentioned http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/02/world/asia/02race.html?pagewanted=all)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_Asia#Korea

We had a thread about how racist South Korea is awhile back having to do with someone saying all Japanese people should die, and most of my experiences with South Korean's follows the same pattern. But given all the border disputes, complete lack of racial diversity, and history of the country, it isn't that surprising. Other people I've meet and studies I've seen usually put/rate it as a one of the most racist countries in the world, but of course you'll get all kinds of opinions on the matter, with the actually answer varying from person to person, place to place, and study to study, and if someone were to ask me that question, South Korea would be my answer. Also, there are 183 countries recognized by the UN.

If you have a wide variety of opinions on a subject, especially one as touchy as racial discrimination, shouldn't that say something?

If you have a wide variety of opinions on a subject, especially one as touchy as racial discrimination, shouldn't that say something?

Not to try to defend Blademaster's position here, but you can have a wide variety of opinions on a subject even if only one is correct (see: vaccines, homeopathy, 9/11 conspiracy theories, etc).

On the other hand you probably knew that already and this is a case of him saying it's the most racist country in the world, which is practically impossible to quantify, but hey.

Other people I've meet and studies I've seen usually put/rate it as a one of the most racist countries in the world, but of course you'll get all kinds of opinions on the matter, with the actually answer varying from person to person, place to place, and study to study, and if someone were to ask me that question, South Korea would be my answer. Also, there are 183 countries recognized by the UN.

Admittedly I'm not an expert on Hutu Tutsi relations, but the Rwandan genocide isn't even 20 years old...I doubt all the tensions behind that have faded away. Pakistan and India are not exactly close. Sri Lanka's civil war between the government and the Tamil Tigers lasted almost 30 years and was apparently quite brutal (the rebels lost). Seems pretty ignorant to suggest South Korea as the most racist country.

Edited by Hawkeye Hank Hatfield

http://en.wikipedia...._in_South_Korea (Article about the Hussain case mentioned http://www.nytimes.c...pagewanted=all)

http://en.wikipedia....m_in_Asia#Korea

We had a thread about how racist South Korea is awhile back having to do with someone saying all Japanese people should die, and most of my experiences with South Korean's follows the same pattern. But given all the border disputes, complete lack of racial diversity, and history of the country, it isn't that surprising. Other people I've meet and studies I've seen usually put/rate it as a one of the most racist countries in the world, but of course you'll get all kinds of opinions on the matter, with the actually answer varying from person to person, place to place, and study to study, and if someone were to ask me that question, South Korea would be my answer. Also, there are 183 countries recognized by the UN.

I'm not defending racism in South Korea, I want to be very clear of that. But your personal "experiences with South Koreans" and one thread about some idiot Korean saying Japanese should die does not a whole people make. I've had experiences with South Koreans too. Such as ... my entire family, most of my parents' friends, other Koreans I've bumped into. And I'll agree that Koreans are pretty nationalist.

But let's take the Japan thing for example. You can't view Japanese-and-Korean relations in a void. They have a very long history between them that goes even further back than WWII, although issues in WWII are probably still "raw" considering that elder Koreans and Japanese have lived through them and are still alive now. I'm not defending Korean bad behavior against the Japanese. But I'm saying that it does not exist in a void, and that there have been examples of Japanese misbehavior towards Korea even in recent times. Ever heard of "Manga Kenkanryu?" Look it up.

And there ARE 183 countries recognized by the UN, which is still a lot. Some of those countries aren't ... exactly what I'd call safe to travel to. Like S. Korea's northern neighbor. Maybe there are some studies that say South Korea is the most racist country in the world. I know that South Korea does have a lot and a lot of issues. But it hardly seems fair to call it the "most racist" country in the world, even with professional studies, because every country has its issues. Yes, even the U.S. (Big ones, might I add.)

From MY experiences with East Asian people (I'm currently attending an international school in Japan where the majority of my classmates are Chinese and South Korean) the claim that either one of these countries is "the most racist country in the world" is a load of garbage.

While every country has their own set of prejudices, US included, racism isn't the outstanding one over here. More prejudice in these East Asian countries are internal and tend to be more about their own society. "Oh, you aren't going to college? You're a failure obviously." "He plays games all day, he's a loser we shouldn't talk to." "Oh, you're a lesbian? Guess we aren't family members anymore." etc.

Because of this, everyone's expected to go the same path, and the culture is more like a community-driven society rather than an individualistic society such as the United States. This would also include not being true to yourself to the point where the fake you that you're pretending to be actually becomes the real you.

That being said, I don't find it that the people around here are racist, but instead they don't really like anything that disrupts their sense of cultural harmony and tradition, like foreigners.

And as for "lack of diversity," because these countries have an ideal perspective of what someone should do with their life - typically it's 'be the same as everyone else' - there really IS a lack of overall diversity from what I've seen. At least in Tokyo.

That doesn't mean it's NOT diverse AT ALL, though.

Not to try to defend Blademaster's position here, but you can have a wide variety of opinions on a subject even if only one is correct (see: vaccines, homeopathy, 9/11 conspiracy theories, etc).

On the other hand you probably knew that already and this is a case of him saying it's the most racist country in the world, which is practically impossible to quantify, but hey.

Stop reading my mind. :P:

Bob, try wandering outside of Tokyo. . .way outside of Tokyo. An easy one to spot is alcohol; certain regions have their own brews, and the further south you go, the more interesting it gets. The not-so-obvious one is the language itself. Listen to someone from the Kansai area, then listen to general Tokyo chatter, then go further south and try to understand Okinawan. I might be half-Okinawan, but I can't understand the language at all! This is only scratching the surface of Japan.

Bob, try wandering outside of Tokyo. . .way outside of Tokyo. An easy one to spot is alcohol; certain regions have their own brews, and the further south you go, the more interesting it gets. The not-so-obvious one is the language itself. Listen to someone from the Kansai area, then listen to general Tokyo chatter, then go further south and try to understand Okinawan. I might be half-Okinawan, but I can't understand the language at all! This is only scratching the surface of Japan.

As much as I would like to, I don't have the funds or the time to do so. I'm only here for two and a half more weeks and I'm down to my last couple hundred bucks. I'm aware there's much more to be offered here, and my post really was only reflecting my general experience with Tokyo. Someday I'll go visit other places, but all my time is basically filled with studying at the moment. :[