Diablo 3 or Skyrim?

BBM

Well, my birthday's coming up in a few days, and as a present, I can choose either Diablo 3 or Skyrim. Which one should I opt for? D3 has multiplayer and I know several people who have it, so that's a plus. But I've heard a lot of good things about Skyrim too, and it's not as new as D3 is, so I can trust that less of it is just hype. I've never played any of the Diablo or Elder Scrolls games before, but I've seen my friend play Diablo (a long time ago) and seen another friend play Fallout 3, which I've been told is basically Elder Scrolls with guns. Based on that, Skyrim seems more my style of game, but I'm still not sure, as I've heard the Diablo games have changed significantly from how they were originally.

So could people just kinda list the good and bad things about each game, and how they differ from each other?

If you like lots of mouse clicking, crawling through a crap ton of dungeons and find a bunch of loot (and I mean a BUNCH), Diabo will be your choice. I heard the multiplayer can be really fun if you play with friends (especially the perma-death mode).

If you like an single player adventure, with some epic dragons fights well not as epic as Dragon's dogma with a expansive map with tons of locations to explore and an environment you can interact with. Then go with Skyrim. If you are getting the PC version, be happy since there are a ton of mods you can fool around with (like the tower defense mod :D and even a multilayer mod, at least last time I checked)

I would recommend another game called Dragon's Dogma though. It makes all the dragon fights in Skryim look pitiful. In Dogma, you can actually climb on top monsters anything from Griffins and Cyclops to Dragons (think Shadow of the Colossus) and crawl and attack on them on their backs or legs. Also to note, when it is night in the world of Dogma, it is freakin' night time. Unlike most games where night is just a change of scenery, Dogma's night will bring about dangerous creatures from ghost to skeletons and even zombies (also to note the wolves act like real wolves) that can really make you feel vulnerable and weak.

Though it's all up to you which game to get.

Edited by Kramgnauh

@Ein- Doesn't really answer my question. :(: As for EO3, dungeon games are also not really my thing. I liked PMD, but only really because it was Pokemon. I might look into SMT3 another time, but right now I'm really between these two.

Skyrim would be the PS3 version, so no mods. I've heard about Dragon's Dogma, but from what I've heard, it doesn't have a very good story, and I like the story to be as good as the gameplay.

Two more things; how good a computer does D3 require? My computer is okay, but it doesn't have a graphics card (I make do with the in-built chip), so it can't really deal with anything too high-tech. And secondly, do either of them require knowledge of the previous games' story? I don't really like not being able to follow the story along.

Dragon's Dogma's story is not bad. Just about a dragon taking away your heart and your journey to track it down. (i think)

Skyrim for PS3? Expect some bad frame rates as you progress further into the game. I don't know if Bethesda patched the problem already.

Here's the requirments for D3: http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-system-requirements

Oh yeah, forgot to mention. You need internet connection at all times in order to play D3. They say it's to prevent cheating and hacking since they have real money auction house where people can trade. Don't know if this a problem for you.

Hmm. Well, I haven't played either. If story is a thing, I personally felt like Diablo 1 and 2 had better instruction book story than what you got once you actually played the game. In D2, main character is a mute on monster cleanup duty, the camp characters just tell you what to do, and the enemies sit in their designated spots and yell quotes at you about how they're going to eat your soul when you approach.

As for story, D2 did not require much understanding of D1's story (that is, it introduced pretty much everything you needed to know), but that's in part because D1's story was pretty bare bones. D3 could easily be different (and maybe have better story, too!).

Two more things; how good a computer does D3 require? My computer is okay, but it doesn't have a graphics card (I make do with the in-built chip), so it can't really deal with anything too high-tech. And secondly, do either of them require knowledge of the previous games' story? I don't really like not being able to follow the story along.

lol,my card is geforce 8600 and is "low performance" on diablo iii. That's all I can tell you, since I can't find out what your in-built chip is like. You could look at your computer's specs and compare them to this website: http://us.battle.net...em-requirements

Get Dark Souls/Demon's Souls if you have a PS3 and don't have those yet, better than Skyrim by a mile in my opinion. They'd both be cheaper and Dark Souls is getting DLC later this year that's gonna add a fair bit.

As for Skyrim vs D3, I have not played D3 but keep in mind that it requires a constant internet connection, besides that word is it's pretty fun. oh ok

Skyrim is fun too, don't get it twisted, but I feel it's a much more of a sandbox game than an RPG. Besides that, to echo Mr. Kramgnauh, PS3 Skyrim was prone to a horrible bug that would cause the framerate to slow to shit the farther you got along in your file. They probably fixed it by now though. Probably.

Edited by Pride

If you are planning to get Dark/Demon Souls be prepared, to die a lot in the game. Seemly cheap enemies can easily kill if you're not careful.

Edited by Kramgnauh

Besides that, to echo Mr. Kramgnauh, PS3 Skyrim was prone to a horrible bug that would cause the framerate to slow to shit the farther you got along in your file. They probably fixed it by now though. Probably.

Was playing it like being on some sort of asymptote where the destination wasn't the y axis, but rather the end of the game? Like Achilles racing 1000 miles, only for the tortoise to move forward a single step 1?

If you are planning to get Dark/Demon Souls be prepared, to die a lot in the game. Seemly cheap enemies can easily kill if you're not careful.

Sounds a bit like a certain Nintendo franchise...

Edited by Hawkeye Hank Hatfield

Get Skyrim!

But holy shit Demon Souls looks pretty damn good, too...but apparently it's super difficult so I'd recommend it only if you're determined not to break your controller/someone's face out of frustration!

Edited by Esme

Skyrim.

Don't bother with D3, if you want co-op dungeon crawling, get Torchlight 2 when it comes out.

Edited by Haze