English name changes?

Which names do you think the English version is going to keep/change?

It seems fairly likely that awkward names like Sol and Soiree will be changed, but familiar names like Callum and Greg will be kept.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno.

I would just wait for the game to actually be made. Right now, it's a surprise. ^^

People always make these topics, nothing ever comes from it. :-_-:

Except maybe flamewars. :dry:

For once, Crash is precisely right here.

On the one hand, Nn is probably supposed to be borderline incomprehensible. On the other, Nn? Seriously?

んん is actually a way to say "no" in Japanese, so I'd imagine Nn could be something like "Uh-uh"... or Knope.

I just hope Vakes name isn't Wyck. That'd be like if the Translators kept "Xyst" instead of Gerik. Although, I expect they'll change Sol so there's no confusion with the ability (Soleil?)

I just hope Vakes name isn't Wyck. That'd be like if the Translators kept "Xyst" instead of Gerik. Although, I expect they'll change Sol so there's no confusion with the ability (Soleil?)

Changing Sol's name is most likely, though instead of the names, I am a bit curious how they'll localize the new weapons and skills especially the Holy Weapons. This is only my guess, but for the skill Weak beats Strong, I think think they might use Underdog for it's localized name.

I can't shake the feeling that Sol is going to end up called "Solomon". To a lesser extent, it wouldn't surprise me if they attempt to "simplify" things by calling the Dark Knight "Mage Knight" and the Bow Knight "Horseman" or "Ranger".

I was actually thinking they may change Dark Peg/Knight to Dlack Peg/Knight.

It still acknowledges their color change while not being confusing for the lack of dark magic.

And they did that in PoR/RD with the Black Knight, right?

Edited by L95

Be forewarned, I'm raging here.. Ignore if you do want rage.

In my opinion, they should just romanize the names instead of trying to change anything. Seriously, if you want to use certain names, go make your own damn game. Frick... Someone brought up the "Xyst to Gerik" change; that change...doesn't make any sense. Why change it completely? However it was enunciated in Japanese, take that enunciation and make a name out of it. Why is this such a seemingly difficult concept to understand? Because the names end up not making sense? PFFT, names don't make sense anyway (sometimes? usually? ...you know what i mean, right?). ...On a side note, even I have to keep in mind that written names which sound nothing like the enunciation are allowed to be changed, by general consensus, yeah? Vake->Wyck... What the heck? How? Isn't "Vake" pronounced like how "wake" is? How do you get a wick/vik sound? That's a case that should be changed, in my opinion, but even so it shouldn't just be turned into something completely different. (I'm meaning that the 'official' spelling of "Wyck" should be changed when the game is localized; changed to be spelled how the name is actually pronounced..)

More ranting. D<

Now then, how the hell do you get "Caeda" from Sheeda?! HOW THE HELL, NINTENDO, TELL ME HOW THE FUCK YOU DID THAT!! GRAAH!! I can't stand butchered names. >.< Why the hell would you change it when it's a perfectly fine name?! ...And also I'm sick of people not caring to learn how a person's name is actually spelled and just butcher it completely. It's insulting! It's enraging! ....The name butchering is personal. No one can spell my name properly because there are a ton of different ways it could be spelled, BUT!! Few people actually care, most don't give a shit that they spell it wrong. When I ask if they can fix it they do, but it's as though it's something I shouldn't have asked. Thanks a frickin' lot, it's MY name. *sigh* Butchered names piss me off so much. >.<

Shadow Dragon is completely horrible. It's like 60% BUTCHERED names. -complains- (And Radiant Dawn is pretty bad for changed names... Unfortunately, I'm biased towards the English names... But that doesn't mean I like that they changed so many.)

-complaincomplain-......-complains about complaining-.....k, I'll just leave now. >.>;

--

edit: AH-HAH! Remembered my Sumia theory. xD You know she says "sumimasen" a lot? "Sumia"..."sumimasen"... Heh. I'm just going by sound, mind.

Oddly, "Soiree" reminds me of "sorry"... I dread the thought of their names being switched. o.o; That would be so very confusing to me..

Edited by Tsamimi

This...won't end well. Localization does not equal Direct Translation and I'm sure someone will rage about the name changes regardless of how big or small they are.

*looks up* See?

Anyway, I agree with Chrome to Krom (even though they romanize it as Chrom anyway)

Edited by Shun One

This...won't end well. Localization does not equal Direct Translation and I'm sure someone will rage about the name changes regardless of how big or small they are.

*looks up* See?

Anyway, I agree with Chrome to Krom (even though they romanize it as Chrom anyway)

No but m8 you see

You see m8

In Chrono Trigger

Retranslationexample.png

You see ozzie was actually VINEGAR and he should be so because

we cannot insult nippon masters

Name changes are bound to happen when a game gets localized, especially with a game like Fire Emblem that has a few odd names here and there (Nn being the biggest stand out in Awakening). I imagine since they want to make this as appealing as they can to a western audience, some names are getting changed (like in all previous FE's, though some of the name changes were completely odd while the original's were normal (Kevin -> Kieran?)

I definitely think Sol's name is going to be first in line to get a change, and not because is name is inherently odd, but more or less because of the skill Sol. They're probably going to want to avoid confusion there yeah... Frederick's would hopefully stay the same, just maybe it might get romanized to Frederik? A couple letter's get lost in translation. And then there's the Vake -> Wycke thing, but that wasn't started by NoA so we'll see there I suppose.

I doubt I'll get upset, but I will get kind of weary if the more common names like Brady, Selena or Jerome get translated oddly. Curious to see what they do with F!Mark's name though.

EDIT: I also think Tiamo's name is going to get changed somewhat, but we'll see.

Edited by Saria