Leave Barst to his fate?

Okay, I'm on chapter 3, near the end (just have Hyman left on the board). I also have him surrounded by 4 attackers, who weren't able to cut him down like I hoped (Draug missed with his spear, and Frey with the Javelin). Barst got a large chunk of his HP sliced off, and is likely the one Hyman will go for when I end my turn. I believe this may kill him if he does. And since I'm doing a "dead means dead" run, I want to avoid this if possible.

The only one that can attack is Cadea, and she can't do enough to him. And I fear that if I move her in, it'll be her head chopped off next turn, unless she's lucky enough to crit.

But there is some hope for Barst. Lena can move in and heal Barst. But moving a Cleric into the range of enemy weapons is one of those things we're never supposed to do in this game.

So what should it be? End my turn and let Barst most likely die, Move Lena in to heal, or use Cadea and hope for a crit?

If it's wpn vs wpn, there is a + or - 1 dmg, depending on advantage or disadvantage. Just fyi.

Restarting the chapter is one thing I'm not doing. I'm doing a "dead means dead" run, and restarting because of someone dying is like cheating to me. Yes, there was some luck involved in getting me to that point, but that's no excuse.

what do you gain from doing a challenge run on the easiest difficulty?

anyways, i missed the run thing because i'm ignorant. well someone is going to die, i guess you could put a scrub in his range.

Edited by Refa

Honestly, if you're trying to kill the boss with freaking Draug, you should leave the "challenge" alone until you're more comfortable about what you're doing in the game. Try to pay some attention to what's going on and understand how the game works before you add extra restrictions for yourself. I mean, sure, it's your playthrough and your time, but the learning curve will change dramatically if you just play slowly and attentively until you understand what's going on. Minding the weapon triangle (not as reliable in the DS games), counting the attack speed of units involved in combat and the damage the two sides are likely to exchange are a good way to begin.

Honestly, if you're trying to kill the boss with freaking Draug, you should leave the "challenge" alone until you're more comfortable about what you're doing in the game. Try to pay some attention to what's going on and understand how the game works before you add extra restrictions for yourself. I mean, sure, it's your playthrough and your time, but the learning curve will change dramatically if you just play slowly and attentively until you understand what's going on. Minding the weapon triangle (not as reliable in the DS games), counting the attack speed of units involved in combat and the damage the two sides are likely to exchange are a good way to begin.

Well, I look at the stats and stuff before I do what I plan. I know Draug was going to be doubled, but he would also be able to weather the hits (only taking off 6 HP). Plus, I've had practice in playing through part of Sacred Stones before diving into this game.

Also, Draug was just part of the plan to kill the boss. I tend to surround the boss and hit him with whatever happens to be avalable. I didn't think Draug would kill him alone, but he would be able to knock off some HP (if it would have hit).

There are a few reasons:

-It was a few years since I played any FE game, until I got Sacred Stones with the Ambassador program in December

-This is the first time I attemted a permadeath run

-I wanted to play through the prologue, and send Jeigan to his death instead of Frey

Well, I look at the stats and stuff before I do what I plan.  I know Draug was going to be doubled, but he would also be able to weather the hits (only taking off 6 HP).  Plus, I've had practice in playing through part of Sacred Stones before diving into this game. Also, Draug was just part of the plan to kill the boss.  I tend to surround the boss and hit him with whatever happens to be avalable.  I didn't think Draug would kill him alone, but he would be able to knock off some HP (if it would have hit). There are a few reasons:-It was a few years since I played any FE game, until I got Sacred Stones with the Ambassador program in December-This is the first time I attemted a permadeath run. I wanted to play through the prologue, and send Jeigan to his death instead of Frey
Oh God...so, basically you sent one of the best characters in the game to his death :/. No matter you were in that situation... Edited by Professor PicKLe

One of the best...that would suck EXP from those that would use it better. I wouldn't have used him anyway, so it's no huge loss to me.

Edit:After some number crunching

-Barst may die next turn, with only 9 HP remaining. But the hit rate against him is 54%, so there's a chance

-Lena may die if moved in range and attacked, but she has an even lower 53% against her

-Caeda would survive if attacked, but her crit rate is 17% with the Wing Spear.

So really, it seems to be up to the RNG.

Edited by jdb1984

Well...I know that I sure as hell wouldn't try this on harder difficulty settings. :P:

I'd advise to pit Marth against anyone armed with killer weapons if possible, so that you could actually get freebies if he dies from a crit.

Edited by アイネ

Well, I moved Caeda in, fully expecting her to not kill him, and Barst to possibly die. I moved her a couple of spaces, chose the wing spear and watched...

She got the critical hit! Hyman took 15 damage, enough for him to fall. And Barst lives on another day.

Edited by jdb1984

1339202335[/url]' post='2011582']

One of the best...that would suck EXP from those that would use it better. I wouldn't have used him anyway, so it's no huge loss to me.

Edit:After some number crunching

-Barst may die next turn, with only 9 HP remaining. But the hit rate against him is 54%, so there's a chance

-Lena may die if moved in range and attacked, but she has an even lower 53% against her

-Caeda would survive if attacked, but her crit rate is 17% with the Wing Spear.

So really, it seems to be up to the RNG.

You do realise this entire problem wouldnt be here if you wouldve just shoved a silver lance down hymans throat?

Also, good to hear barst is still alive, but if you want you can kill off your entire army to go to the gaiden chapters....

Also, good to hear barst is still alive, but if you want you can kill off your entire army to go to the gaiden chapters....

That why there's nothing to be afraid of trying this especially in this game.

-----

Let's see....

Some No Restart Run Tips....

-Using Pre-Promoted Units. As they already have good base stats, don't have to baby them, and not have to waste a promotion item. Because if one of your promoted units dies, it'll be a waste of major EXP and promotion item.

-Don't bother to raise Weapon Rank.

-Get to the goal and don't waste time fighting off reinforcements.

-Killer Weapons are a problem in this run. So, have Marth take care of them.

-Bonus DMG weapons should be taken into account. Always watch what weapons that your enemies have.

-Keep your healers away if any 1~2 ranged weapon enemies are nearby when your trying to get your characters healed. They must be kept safe from harm at any cost as it will be extremely difficult to getting your troops healed without them. And don't bother to promote your healers.

Edited by アイネ