A question about DLC Characters

A thought has been plaguing me since ever since this game has been shittily announced. Seeing as how FE's 2, 3, 4, and 5 are not very popular, isn't it likely the DLC won't be released? Maybe the Marth and Roy stuff might get released seeing as how they are popular enough from the SSB series but the rest of the games are fairly obscure to Western audiences.

So my question is...

Will the spotpass/DLC characters still be released here in North America?

Guess we won't know until they formally announce it but I'm still a bit curious

Edited by canasniimehugh

You already answered your own question.

DLC would still be new content regardless of popularity and some fans outside of Japan are fans of the DLC characters so there's some incentive in releasing all of them and perhaps the characters may spark some interest in fans so that any future remakes have more success. Only time will tell though.

Edited by Sirius

You really can't release only parts of it either.

Eirika's Bride DLC will come, since FE8 came out, but then they can't just ignore Alm's Demon Fighter DLC.

And a lot of characters are in eachother's DLC. So there's that too.

But have enough people heard of these characters to make them want to buy their DLC stuff? Well, it all seems a bit too risky to me but I guess it's NoA choice...

But then again only releasing parts of the DLC will seem odd.

Gah, I don't know what to think.

Edited by canasniimehugh

Well, they'll probably realize that the Japan-only characters will garner less money than the other ones, but releasing only some of them is dumb, and not releasing any at all lowers possible profits.

Chances are, anything they release is worth the amount of translation they'd have to do for it.

I mean, it's not like there's anything strange about receiving what appears from your standpoint to be totally new characters as free or paid downloads. People are assuming the characters need to be familiar because they're familiar to us, but there isn't the slightest bit of truth to that assumption.

Don't forget that it's not just the DLC characters by themselves, the Celice/Alm/Leif map always features Marth and some Shadow Dragon units too as npcs/enemies, and the Alm map has an exclusive class, It'll obviously sell worse in the west, but it'd be stupid to just cut it.

and it is not like it would be so much work for them to release them,after all they just have to translate them,so there are no production costs and so on.

Translation itself is a cost.

• 2 weeks later...

But have enough people heard of these characters to make them want to buy their DLC stuff? Well, it all seems a bit too risky to me but I guess it's NoA choice...

But then again only releasing parts of the DLC will seem odd.

Gah, I don't know what to think.

Does it really matter, I would want those characters just so I can have more characters, if you don't want them don't get them, if you do, get them. Let the customer decide after all, your not forces to buy them.

I think it would be utterly disastrous if they skimped on DLC for the English versions. Sure, casual fans probably don't care, but it would be a really bad idea to upset hardcore fans, in a similar sense to what (I think) happened when they didn't initially announce FE13 during E3.

IMO, the DLC episodes shouldn't take that much effort to translate either--there isn't a huge amount of dialogue, besides the battle conversations, which are pretty short as well--and I can almost see NOA/NOE selling the DLC in sets of three, like all the Spirit Talisman maps in one pack.

I don't think their popularity matters at all. They'll just be treated as new characters for people who don't already know them.

When the game was announced during the presentation, they made sure to advertise that this game is a cornucopia of all the previous games in the series. That sets the stage for including old characters as old characters--not treated as new.

NoA and NoE won't release King vs. King, and the Demon Fighter class will be moved to a different DLC. Mark my words.

So they'll leave the game lacking a (rather important) 2-star set, and apply the Demon Fighter class to... whom?

I think not.

When the game was announced during the presentation, they made sure to advertise that this game is a cornucopia of all the previous games in the series. That sets the stage for including old characters as old characters--not treated as new.

Point. My statement was more aimed at those who don't recognize these characters anyway. They would essentially be "new" for them.

I hope NoA bundles the DLC sets into packs. The Japanese pricing scheme feels too expensive for what you get. I was already upset at Namco charging $4 a costume in Graces f. The characters in FE's DLC, aside from Alm and Eirika, aren't even using much for new assets. You get retro music slapped on a map modeled after old maps, with characters built out of MU assets, with some new art. People make fun of Call of Duty's $10 map packs, but that will look like value if Nintendo clings to what amounts for around $4 for a single map with a single character, especially for non-International characters like Celica or Celice.

That won't necessarily need to happen. Look at Namco's Soulcalibur 5. They're selling a few character creator pieces for $2-$4 biweekly, a format very similar to the one Nintendo is following with FE Awakening's DLC. On the other hand, Koei has bundled the Japanese Orochi Warriors 3 stage packs while releasing them in the USA.

If Nintendo does sell them in packs, I could see something like $10 for each three stage pack, not really much cheaper than they'd be individually, and you'd be forced to buy all three if you wanted one... In fact, that format might be very useful for the King vs King chapter, since it'd allow them to sell all three chapters for people who wanted the exclusive male class.

Edited by NeonZ

People are aware Fire Emblem is a series that was in Japan much longer than it's been here. Seeing characters that reflect that won't affect them negatively in any way, so Nintendo has no reason to keep it from us.

I really hope Nintendo of America reduces the prices of DLC. The DLC so far amount to 4050 yen (>$50) (Marth excluded), so if we get at least two more at 400 yen (probable if they offer something good like a skill/new class as has been predicted), that would be the DLC beating the price of the game. I can understand the 400 yen ones being such since they offer actually new skills/classes aside the character, but the 350 ones are too expensive for just offering a ~difficult map and some new art.

As many have said before, I don't think they'll skip on anything. The content is already made, and there is little to alter aside a few lines and names. The most they'd do is slightly adjust the difficulty as they usually do.