Obligatory introduction thread

Topaz Light

So, um... I'm kind of bad at introduction posts, but...

Hello, various peoples of this site!

Even though I've been a fan of Fire Emblem for years, I haven't actually had an account on any fansite for it for quite a while.

That while ends now.

Well, technically I suppose it ended several minutes prior to this post, but nonetheless...

Anyway, unless you habitually ignore the little user data panels beside posts, I shouldn't need to introduce myself here, as my own little data panel-thingy (is there a name for those?) does that in a more noticeable and flashy way.

The sprite in my avatar is made by me; anyone who recognizes the sprite style wins automatic (yet rather useless) brownie points from me... The sprite is actually of a defined character, not any sort of self-representative one. I also happen to like how the sprite looks against colorful backgrounds, so for that reason I use it as my avatar on a few sites.

At any rate, hopefully we can get along.

Edited by Starlight36

Um, well, thanks! I'm glad to hear that, considering I find creating characters, stories and worlds to be quite an interesting and enjoyable activity.

Although, I am a bit curious as to how you were able to discern that from a single rather awkward post.

Also, I feel as though I should recognize the character in your avatar from somewhere, but for the life of me I can't think of it...

Edited by Starlight36

Welcome to Serenes Forest I'm pretty darn new myself xD, I'm sure you'll have a good time here. So what fire emblem's have you played?

Edited by Jedisupersonic

Um, well, thanks! I'm glad to hear that, considering I find creating characters, stories and worlds to be quite an interesting and enjoyable activity.

Although, I am a bit curious as to how you were able to discern that from a single rather awkward post.

Also, I feel as though I should recognize the character in your avatar from somewhere, but for the life of me I can't think of it...

Just a guess, that's all. I think you'd find my character more recognizable if he was in an aloha shirt and had a bunch of girls around him. :P:

Welcome to Serenes Forest I'm pretty darn new myself xD, I'm sure you'll have a good time here. So what fire emblem's have you played?

Ah, um, was I supposed to put that in my intro?

Well, anyway, I've played 6~12, and a little bit of 2. Only finished 7, 8 and 11, to be honest. My Wii is in a rather unkempt room, so I prefer to play the ones which can be played outside of said room, meaning the portable ones. I actually really like 9, but haven't been able to finish it; I'm embarrassed to say I haven't even promoted Ike yet, but I have seen my brother play through the game before. I've made it through to Chapter 17 in 6, (playing on a cartridge and not understanding the dialogue at all) I believe I'd made it to Chapter 17 in 9, given up before Micaiah's first part ended in 10 because I wanted to use more 1st-tier people than the game seemed to want me to (hey, I wanted to use the people who were actually new in 10,) and the support conversations were... yeah. I keep being dissatisfied with My Unit in 12, although presently I've got one that seems to be working out pretty well for me, (also, the fact that my DS Lite is crummy and glitchy and my 3DS is crummy and region-locked doesn't help.) What I have played of 2, I've liked, though. I wonder if it's weird that I have a high tolerence for 8-Bit games considering I grew up with the N64... But then again, there was my GameBoy Color that I loved and would play all the time.

That's a Mother/EarthBound style sprite, isn't it? And I recognise your sig quote from Mother 1/EarthBound Zero!

Yes indeed! Mother 3 style, to be precise; the only one with 3-frame walk cycles.

And you actually remembered a quote from Mother, the almost-universal least favorite in the series? That makes me happy, considering Mother is actually my favorite one.

Edited by Starlight36

Yes indeed! Mother 3 style, to be precise; the only one with 3-frame walk cycles.

And you actually remembered a quote from Mother, the almost-universal least favorite in the series? That makes me happy, considering Mother is actually my favorite one.

Ah! It kinda seemed like that, but didn't know the technicalities.

Well, it helps that I'm currently playing through it! :P: (already finished EarthBound, I'll do Mother 3/EarthBound 2 next)

Oh no, I've been obligatorily introduced! Shoulda read the warning.

Welcome to SF. Enjoy your stay/

Hopefully I'll be able to post something there at some point, but my sprites aren't very good compared to you guys'... I'm terrible at mugshots, but I might be okay with battle sprites as I recall having made an almost-full custom sheet a while back, but it's deleted now. Never really tried overworlds, but they're tiny and simple so they couldn't be too hard.

Edit: Ninja'd! This initial message is directed at eCut.

I could try FE4/5, but I'm a bit concerned with how buggy I've heard the translation patches are. These ones seem to be considered classics by Western fans, but I've never really heard much about exactly why many people prefer them over the other games. Care to enlighten me?

Edit again: And no, I don't play for turns.

Edited by Starlight36

The grinding does get kinda tedious at times; doesn't help that everyone but Teddy joins at level 1, either. (Teddy joins at level 18) Personally, though, I'm a big fan of the game's whole world and atmosphere; I like how mysterious it is.

By the way, what parts seem like downgraded versions of things from EarthBound, setting aside the fact that Mother actually came first? I can sort of see Podunk being compared to Threed on account of the whole zombies thing, but other than that I can't remember anything in particular that would feel that similar to EarthBound. EarthBound does borrow several enemies from Mother, though, if that's a factor.

Well, that's fair enough (I'm looking forward to getting Teddy myself! Shame that he

leaves, I'm halfways tempted to do the sequence breaking cheat that lets you keep him in your party

). If I play it a second time I'll probably use Tomato's double EXP/Money patch.

Oh, I know EB0 came first so I know it's entirely illogical, I just can't shake it... Things like the Flying Men (same but with less logic to being there and more stilted dialogue), Ninten's dad's dialogue for saving and pestering you about taking a break (same dialogue but again more stilted), etc. I actually find it hard to mention specifics now! :XD: It's odd because they kept jumping out at me when I actually played the game... Must be because it's not important stuff.