your using a 3ds correct,

nintendo uses the eshop to update the 3ds` and add new features

you should agree to download

the nintendo eshop is where you can purchase downloadable games

your using a 3ds correct,

nintendo uses the eshop to update the 3ds` and add new features

you should agree to download

What does the upgrade do?

Version 4.1.0-8U available via wireless internet connection includes the following improvements:

Update released: May 14, 2012

Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.

Version 4.0.0-7U available via wireless Internet connection includes the following improvements:

Update released: April 24, 2012

Nintendo eShop improvements

Improved the usability of the Main Menu and other features.

Added a new feature to the HOME Menu

Added a feature to make folders. Create up to 60 folders and organize your content.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/3ds/en_na/system_update.jsp

I don't know how significant these changes and adjustments are.

Edited by Wist

The Nintendo website says that the upgrades prevent anything that is illegitimate by their means and that by doing so will render the system or games useless. IDK, I don't even know what one can do that is illegitimate. Has anyone upgraded and would like to share what happens afterwards?

Basically Nintendo is warning the end user that system modifications can brick the system, and Nintendo also takes a hard line against flash cart use, given that most flash carts are used for game piracy. Essentially it boils down to not using unlicensed 3rd party software, but you don't really have anything to worry about if you're not modifying your system. I have never had an issue updating my system.

And there are good things in the eShop. It's called PushMo and Link's Awakening DX (with savestates!)! As for freebies, you can also get Nintendo Video and Swapnote. Oh, and since I had my 3DS since the early days, I got 20 free games too. In the future, Nintendo will start offering DLC and larger-scale games through the eShop as well.

The Nintendo website says that the upgrades prevent anything that is illegitimate by their means and that by doing so will render the system or games useless. IDK, I don't even know what one can do that is illegitimate. Has anyone upgraded and would like to share what happens afterwards?

They're forms of anti-piracy. More than half the updates the Wii ever saw was to try and patch up exploits for homebrew launching and to disable running unrecognized code. Some of the updates didn't even tell users everything the update was doing.

Because the 3DS currently has no publicly known exploit (that can be taken advantage of), most of the blocking comes in forms of preventing flashcards from booting. Which, are pretty fruitless, as there's an update out to combat every anti-piracy update of Nintendo's.

The only reasons to update your 3Ds are the internet browser and the 3d videos, there's hardly anything worth the cost on the eshop.

illegitimate means flash carts and action replay

haven;t you ever had updates on your computer, cell phone, or other game systems?

just update it silly :P

illegitimate means flash carts and action replay

haven;t you ever had updates on your computer, cell phone, or other game systems?

just update it silly :P

Isn't action replay sold in stores (like gamestop and Walmart) why would they be illegitimate? This is considering that gamestop gains nothing from selling thing people can use for piracy.