I... I feel so discouraged ;~;

Awwww honey...

I know what its like to give up on a dream because it was too hard to do or things like money got in the way of achieving it. Thing is though, you shouldnt give up if its something you really want to do. Otherwise you will regret it later down the line and beat yourself up over it.

So you want to become a Volcanologist? It sucks that you have to go through a bunch of crap that doesnt interest you to get to the point where you are actually studying the thing you wanted to in the first place. Its a huge reason a lot of people just kinda give up cuz all that boring junk and it can be really hard too.

As for your parents, they may hold the purse strings but they shouldnt be the ones holding you back. I understand this part of your dilemma quite a bit. It doesnt sound like they are super supportive about your choices in general. But it does sound like they are willing to help.

Follow the dream....trust me on this. I gave up once and i hated myself for it ever since. Im not ever doing that again.

OKAY yesterday was a chem lab day so I didn't get around to inspirationality but I CAN DO IT NOW

SOMETIMES

shit happens. That's the whole of it. What you have - or rather, how I see you - is a problem. Why do problems exist? Why did God invent problems?

So that we can solve them.

So if you have a problem, you have to progress to the next step: solving the problem. It isn't a big hurdle, it isn't a hard thing to do, it's simply the next step in the equation. Have problem, solve problem! There's really nothing to it except a little improvisation.

Is your biggest problem that you don't have the money to pursue a MASSIVE EPIC BIG degree? Cool off, kick it back a little. Find a job you can work and plug a little more slowly at the degree. Is it so imperative that you finish your PhD in eight years STAT? I'd wager not, so cool down and let it be as it is.

Maybe your biggest problem is that you're lazy and unmotivated and basically a useless jackoff? I hear that. I feel you, girl. The problem, though, is only the problem as long as it's the problem so you have to solve the problem. You're a special snowflake, stupid as it sounds, so any regimen I could come up with to help you would mean basically dick, which means you have to solve the problem. See how simple that sounds? Find out what helps you do things. Write everything down, maybe. I wake up every morning and I insist to myself that I will overcome every single one of the day's hurdles. Do that, maybe. Pump yourself up. You can be successful if you want to be because you are your own dog.

Or maybe I'm just a stupid insensitive self-motivator, idk.

Either way, if your solution involves my help tell me and I will do as I can in a flash.

I agree with Fenrir, do what you think its best for you. Don't try to please others.

But I always want to please others =[ It's a part of my nature...

Heehee don't worry, that's not the problem. I never planned on choosing something to please my dad. It's everything else...

It doesnt sound like they are super supportive about your choices in general. But it does sound like they are willing to help.

Follow the dream....trust me on this. I gave up once and i hated myself for it ever since. Im not ever doing that again.

Actually my dad loves geology just as much as I do. It's just that he's afraid of me aiming super high. Especially since the traits I listed about myself are all from him. He is stuck with below-college-level jobs, though he does at least want to go to school again.

He wants me to choose an easy path so he knows I can live a better life than he has.

SOMETIMES

shit happens.

What if I'm not good at dealing with that? =[

Why do problems exist? Why did God invent problems?

So that we can solve them.

God isn't gonna give me much inspiration, here...

There's really nothing to it except a little improvisation.

I suck at improv ;A;

Is your biggest problem that you don't have the money to pursue a MASSIVE EPIC BIG degree? Cool off, kick it back a little. Find a job you can work and plug a little more slowly at the degree. Is it so imperative that you finish your PhD in eight years STAT? I'd wager not, so cool down and let it be as it is.

As I've said before, my dad won't let me do that.

See how simple that sounds?

No

Find out what helps you do things. Write everything down, maybe. I wake up every morning and I insist to myself that I will overcome every single one of the day's hurdles. Do that, maybe. Pump yourself up. You can be successful if you want to be because you are your own dog.

I could probably see if I can write things down...

Thanks for trying to help me out, and the words of comfort everyone =3 I'm still going to try aim for the career/job I want and I'll see how this goes...

Actually my dad loves geology just as much as I do. It's just that he's afraid of me aiming super high. Especially since the traits I listed about myself are all from him. He is stuck with below-college-level jobs, though he does at least want to go to school again.

He wants me to choose an easy path so he knows I can live a better life than he has.

But if he's afraid of you aiming super high, it almost sounds like he feels you will fail anyway. :/ That...doesnt sound like a lot of support....

But yeah. Try your best. Even if it doesnt work out, at least you tried.

But if he's afraid of you aiming super high, it almost sounds like he feels you will fail anyway. :/ That...doesnt sound like a lot of support....

But yeah. Try your best. Even if it doesnt work out, at least you tried.

It's not really that he thinks I will fail, it's just that he thinks failing is a part of life, but he doesn't want it to happen to me.

No disrespect intended, but:

Fuck your dad.

It's your life. Do whatever the fuck YOU want.

In such situations...

YOU ARE NUMBER ONE

Don't let your father, OR ANYONE, be the Blue Shell in your life.

No disrespect intended, but:

Fuck your dad.

It's your life. Do whatever the fuck YOU want.

In such situations...

YOU ARE NUMBER ONE

Don't let your father, OR ANYONE, be the Blue Shell in your life.

Its clear that those are not Freohr wishes. While she doesn't want to do what her dad wants, she also wants her dad to understand instead of shoving him aside and going on her merry way.

Of course this is only what i have learned by reading Freohr's posts, and i might be wrong.

Edited by SlayerX

You're an adult. If you want to get a part-time job to pursue what you love, don't let your parents stop you. They legally cannot tell you "you can't get a job".

As for procrastination and laziness, just find what really motivates you. I slept through high school, never studied and handed in my homework about 3 weeks late, but that little bit of scholarship I get motivated me to study hard and do all my work on time and actually put effort into my studies to maintain a high enough GPA. If this is what you really want to do, use that to motivate you to do work. If you don't want to enter any other field, even though it may be easier to find a job in another field, use not going into those fields as your motivation to do work. I can understand the lure of laziness all too well, but I have faith that you can overcome them given the right motivation.

If you do go into another field, at least make it one that you will still enjoy doing. Don't do something you have no interest in, but is good for the money.

Edited by Fat Bunny

It's not really that he doesn't want me to get a job, he actually thinks I should try both school and job at once. But he doesn't want me to take a break from school. I already said why in a previous post but I guess I'll say it again. Oh, the torture

He thinks that if I try taking a break from school then I'll lose all motivation to go to college and end up just like him. I've tried telling him that I wouldn't let that happen because I really really want to go to college to get what I want, but he's just being way too cautious about it...

Oh yeah and he also thinks, what if the loans that I have get the impression that I'm finished with college permanently and not just for a semester or year, or what if they don't care and start harassing me when I take break?

I may also have to look up the "rules" or whatever for the scholarship thingy I have which is supposed to help pay for funds for me for all of my undergraduate years. Idk if it'd still pay me if I took a "break" or anything...

It's not really that he doesn't want me to get a job, he actually thinks I should try both school and job at once. But he doesn't want me to take a break from school. I already said why in a previous post but I guess I'll say it again. Oh, the torture

He thinks that if I try taking a break from school then I'll lose all motivation to go to college and end up just like him. I've tried telling him that I wouldn't let that happen because I really really want to go to college to get what I want, but he's just being way too cautious about it...

Oh yeah and he also thinks, what if the loans that I have get the impression that I'm finished with college permanently and not just for a semester or year, or what if they don't care and start harassing me when I take break?

I may also have to look up the "rules" or whatever for the scholarship thingy I have which is supposed to help pay for funds for me for all of my undergraduate years. Idk if it'd still pay me if I took a "break" or anything...

@Italic: Personally I'd be more worried about how much relevant knowledge you've retained after lacking any studying while you're out of school. Taking a placement test for Math after having no Math for a year was not fun.

@Bold: Loans have a grace period where you don't have to worry about paying them or accumulating interest. When applying for one you should be told how long the grace period is and basically, you should try to avoid being out of school for that amount of time and they're supposed to notify if your grace period is close to its end.. Any time you return to school you can request a deferment so interest doesn't add up while you're in school and you don't have to pay.

As for what you should do in general: It's your future. You decide if you wanna risk being unhappy with your job.

Edited by Sirius

@Italic: Personally I'd be more worried about how much relevant knowledge you've retained after lacking any studying while you're out of school. Taking a placement test for Math after having no Math for a year was not fun.

@Bold: Loans have a grace period where you don't have to worry about paying them or accumulating interest. When applying for one you should be told how long the grace period is and basically, you should try to avoid being out of school for that amount of time and they're supposed to notify if your grace period is close to its end.. Any time you return to school you can request a deferment so interest doesn't add up while you're in school and you don't have to pay.

As for what you should do in general: It's your future. You decide if you wanna risk being unhappy with your job.

Yeeeaaahhhhh I did poorly on my math placement after just a summer of no math >_< Because as I've already mentioned, my memory sucks

Oooh coolio I'll have to look that up...

Just a thought: I've seen some of your work as far as graphic design goes... Do you think you would be interested in that? It looks like you have a gift for that.

second, if price is a big issue, you can probably go to a junior college to get you core classes out of the way that you really don't need, but you have to take anyway. they are usually easier at a Junior college level.

(and if you get into Phi Theta Kappa, you could have scholarships lined up for you if you transfer to a university. This is also something that looks good on a resumé)

Again, these are just some thoughts to consider.